Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Ok, we were all learners once, but now I see how bloody annoying they truly are. I was stuck behind one the whole way home. They spent ages at junctions and roundabouts and of course kept about 5 mph under the speed limit :mad: Anyway finally got to a 40 zone and was trying to overtake but they were being a tosser and sped up when I went to overtake. Then got to a 30 zone and the learner slammed on down to 25 (ie 40 down to 25). It was a slippy road as well since it's been raining so much hence was a pretty dangerous thing to do (and you're not supposed to randomly brake, even for a speed change). What a loser.

Edit: on retrospect, they were probably trying to annoy me because I was trying to overtake - if you're a learner, don't even try to play games because you're not experienced enough and could end up losing control, as this moron almost did.
    Lauren, you mean beatch. How can you insult learners. My instructor tells me to go like 10 miles below the speed limit. If you are a good driver you should know to respect the L people. How dare you insult.

ReputationRep:
    insulting learners is a priviledge you earn when you finally get that pink driving licence.

and a rite of passage for the learners.

its like a big circle, see.

ReputationRep:
    A vicious one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elyse180887)
    ive just passed my test and find it very amusing driving past the test centre everyday to college. i dont ming getting stuck behind learner drivers as everyone started of somewhere even you so i dont think we have the right to complain. There are plenty of experienced drivers who stick to the speed limit. I am scared of old grany drivers though. the ones who cant even see over the sterring wheel and can hardly see in front of them but still get behind the wheel. Many of them didnt even take a driving test and yet people moan about young drivers who have passed one of the hardest driving tests in the world. go figure!
    I agree especially when you find out grannys go over the speed limit but are hesitant at lights which indicates reaction speed which is dangerous when they are speeding over the limit also buisness men who speed up and get up your you know what.

ReputationRep:
    We all have to start somewhere, and you really can't complain about people driving normal cars with their parents. I had to save up and pay for all my driving lessons myself, and so going out driving with my dad helped me a lot when it came to gaining experience. It probably saved me a lot of money as I'm sure I wouldn't have been ready to take my test when I was had I not been driving home every day with my dad.

The people you can complain about are the people who aren't learners but still drive badly. People that really shouldn't be allowed to drive. Not learners. Driving significantly below the speed limit in your driving test will cause you to fail, as the examiner will class it as unnecessary and potentially dangerous hesitation. Driving instructors will not let you drive too slowly for this reason.

It is therefore up to you to leave yourself enough time to complete your journey within the speed limit. You cannot blame others for driving at (or even a tiny bit below) the speed limit.

If they're crawling along at 15mph in a 40 and you can't overtake though.....that's annoying. And I have never seen a learner do that. It's always the grannies.

ReputationRep:
    yes......... i hate myself :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    insulting learners is a priviledge you earn when you finally get that pink driving licence.

and a rite of passage for the learners.

I passed ages ago and I still have the green licence. Hehe. I keep getting letters from DVLA warning me that I have to send off my test pass certificate before it expires.

*ponders*

I really should send it off, shouldn't I?

ReputationRep:
    Learners aren't really the problem. It's some of the foreigners, tourists and the overly arrogant drivers who think they own the road. Had this moron slam on his breaks in the middle of a round-a-bout today, decided he didn't need to indicate and dropped down to 20 mph in a 60 zone. Lost count of the amount of times I nearly ran into the back of him, it's dangerous drivers like these that are the problem.

I know I'd rather hang back and be stuck behind a slow learner though than have one intimidated and cause an accident which would take up even more time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debs)
    Learners aren't really the problem. It's some of the foreigners, tourists and the overly arrogant drivers who think they own the road. Had this moron slam on his breaks in the middle of a round-a-bout today, decided he didn't need to indicate and dropped down to 20 mph in a 60 zone. Lost count of the amount of times I nearly ran into the back of him, it's dangerous drivers like these that are the problem.

I know I'd rather hang back and be stuck behind a slow learner though than have one intimidated and cause an accident which would take up even more time.
    Let's all go back to buses :eek: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    I passed ages ago and I still have the green licence. Hehe. I keep getting letters from DVLA warning me that I have to send off my test pass certificate before it expires.

*ponders*

I really should send it off, shouldn't I?
    uh. yes.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, we were all learners once, but now I see how bloody annoying they truly are. I was stuck behind one the whole way home. They spent ages at junctions and roundabouts and of course kept about 5 mph under the speed limit :mad: Anyway finally got to a 40 zone and was trying to overtake but they were being a tosser and sped up when I went to overtake. Then got to a 30 zone and the learner slammed on down to 25 (ie 40 down to 25). It was a slippy road as well since it's been raining so much hence was a pretty dangerous thing to do (and you're not supposed to randomly brake, even for a speed change). What a loser.

Edit: on retrospect, they were probably trying to annoy me because I was trying to overtake - if you're a learner, don't even try to play games because you're not experienced enough and could end up losing control, as this moron almost did.
    the person's only a learner so be patient - you have to anticipate other drivers and if they're not as experienced you should be careful too and give them time. The driver may have sped up in case his instructor (if there was one) told them to. did you keep a safe distance when they braked as well? it wouldnt have been as much as a problem then + sometimes everyone has to brake hard due to unforeseen circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    Lauren, you mean beatch. How can you insult learners. My instructor tells me to go like 10 miles below the speed limit. If you are a good driver you should know to respect the L people. How dare you insult.
    :laugh:
    because i can drive, i can drive well, and i've never been a loser with the complete inability to drive. apparently i drive like a bloke: car goes fast, under control, passengers feel safe and i get the odd spot of road rage.

i find the better the car you drive, the less people will let you out. although when you're driving a bmw or in my case a jag, people will try their best not to hit you, because if they hit you, it's their fault, and their insurance will rocket.

got stuck behind an old person before. the light was green and she just sat there and missing the whole green light. i beeped. repeatedly. dozy old cow.

i changed my mind: no stupid people allowed on the roads!

ReputationRep:
    i hate learning its gettign so boring.
    and you cant blame people for doing it either.
    noone, was a perfect driver from day one, it all comes with practice.

ReputationRep:
    don't you just hate humans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amysgrave)
    don't you just hate humans?
    when you're old enough to drive you'll understand

ReputationRep:
    Lauren as you can see theres a lot of learners on here...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YourSideView)
    Lauren as you can see theres a lot of learners on here...!
    yes...they need to know who the crazy girl behind them is!! seriously they could benefit from knowing what proper drivers think of what they do, and why we get so frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    yes...they need to know who the crazy girl behind them is!! seriously they could benefit from knowing what proper drivers think of what they do, and why we get so frustrated.
    lol; when you become a 'proper driver' or indeed, a 'mature driver' you'll realise that you're not the only one on the road.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    because i can drive, i can drive well, and i've never been a loser with the complete inability to drive. apparently i drive like a bloke: car goes fast, under control, passengers feel safe and i get the odd spot of road rage.

i find the better the car you drive, the less people will let you out. although when you're driving a bmw or in my case a jag, people will try their best not to hit you, because if they hit you, it's their fault, and their insurance will rocket.

got stuck behind an old person before. the light was green and she just sat there and missing the whole green light. i beeped. repeatedly. dozy old cow.

i changed my mind: no stupid people allowed on the roads!
    You drive a Jaguar at the age of 19? No wonder you've got that kind of attitude towards other people. I bet you're one of those types who drives like they own the road.

Of course you were once one of those people with the complete inability to drive. If not, why didn't you just take your test the first time you ever drove a car, on your 17th birthday, and pass with no faults? Oh yeah...because you couldn't drive. Why? Because you hadn't learnt yet.

Get over yourself and give learners a break. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juxtapiped)
    lol; when you become a 'proper driver' or indeed, a 'mature driver' you'll realise that you're not the only one on the road.
    did i say i was?

actually i did know how to drive, when i was 16. my birthday is also christmas eve :rolleyes:

edit: when did i say i drive a jag? i mentioned that i'd driven one. of course it's not my main car, they cost around £60,000. i drive another one of my parents cars.

final edit(!!): i cycle when i'm at cambridge and this is where learner drivers really come into their own and haven't got a clue how to behave. as you know, cyclists don't need licences to cycle on roads and bikes are much more unpredictable. hence it's up to the driver to beware of them and give cyclists lots of space (as i'm sure everyone here does). but nooo, the one learner that's doing in excess of the speed limit, and they clip me with the wing mirror. and don't stop. f*cking ow. getting the reg was difficult when wrapped around a lamp post

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.