The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
any one who over takes a learner, or shows you are pissed off with them, shame on you. we all had to start somewhere. overtaking a learner puts stress on them, i know that everyone gets overtook at some point but its un-nesesary, you should have some patience.

and yea grannys are the ones to watch. :eek:
Reply 121
Lauren
Oh gap years, yes I already did mine. Took all exams 1-2 years early to compensate. Been there, done that. If only you were older, you'd know that uni is a continuation of youth - but you won't get far without an open mind.

Where did I imply that no one else had killed a child? Perhaps you didn't know but children run out in the road unpredictably. Drivers that cannot cope with this are irresponsible (that cannot be disputed). Drivers that cannot cope with the hazards that normal roads throw at them are irresponsible. Hence learners are. Therefore they require a responsible, able, attentive adult ensuring that they are ready to take control the vehicle at any point. This is what the law says, hence also saying that learners are incapable of being solely responsible for their vehicle. Hence unless they are in the hand of an instructor, they are dangerous.

Point proved, and you're boring me. End of conversation.

You sound the most irresponsible to me - attempting to overtake in a 40 stretch of road is ridiculous. My parents are responsible, able and attentive. I learnt to drive with them. It's idiots that tailgate other drivers, or attempt to overtake and panic drivers that cause the problems.
Lauren
Oh gap years, yes I already did mine. Took all exams 1-2 years early to compensate. Been there, done that. If only you were older, you'd know that uni is a continuation of youth - but you won't get far without an open mind.

Where did I imply that no one else had killed a child? Perhaps you didn't know but children run out in the road unpredictably. Drivers that cannot cope with this are irresponsible (that cannot be disputed). Drivers that cannot cope with the hazards that normal roads throw at them are irresponsible. Hence learners are. Therefore they require a responsible, able, attentive adult ensuring that they are ready to take control the vehicle at any point. This is what the law says, hence also saying that learners are incapable of being solely responsible for their vehicle. Hence unless they are in the hand of an instructor, they are dangerous.

Point proved, and you're boring me. End of conversation.

My God, you are SO ARROGANT...

"I'm an amazing driver, why doesn't everyone else just get out of my way? Blah blah blah.....I took all my exams a year early.....blah blah blah."

"If only you were older, you'd know that uni is a continuation of youth - but you won't get far without an open mind."

You sound more narrow-minded than anyone I've ever met.

However, if only you had a brain and could read, you'd see that I actually mentioned university as a continuation of youth in my own post, before you even mentioned it, and if you were intelligent enough to check a profile or two, you'd see that you're about two months older than me, if I recall correctly. So stop being pathetic, and stop digging yourself into a hole.

PS - the neg rep you gave me for this thread was absolutely dwarfed by all the positive rep I've had for standing up to you - all from people with far more rep power than you anyway. I think that speaks volumes.

Grow up.
Reply 123
Yawn. Finished spamming yet?
Lauren, your original post was nothing but spam.

I'm just commenting on your attitude problem. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Reply 125
*chucks hot chocolate over susie and Lauren*

cmon, fight it out, like real women!

*retreats and settles to watch with a bucket of popcorn*
*licks hot chocolate off hands*

Mmmm this is good stuff!
Reply 127
*chucks a bucket of syrup all over susie and lauren, and watches as they become slippery and begin to grab each other to maintain balance*
Reply 128
ramroff
*chucks hot chocolate over susie and Lauren*

cmon, fight it out, like real women!

*retreats and settles to watch with a bucket of popcorn*

*dips popcorn in chocolate*

you are such a perve :p: . you should come to a cambridge garden party and watch the almost naked (female) jelly wrestling.

suzy, if you actually read my original post, i said we were all learners at one point. you seem to have forgotten this.
Reply 129
Lauren
*dips popcorn in chocolate*

you are such a perve :p: . you should come to a cambridge garden party and watch the almost naked (female) jelly wrestling.

suzy, if you actually read my original post, i said we were all learners at one point. you seem to have forgotten this.

well hopefully i will be in cambridge for the sept 2006 intake so i will be attending all the garden and pool parties :wink:
Reply 130
ramroff
well hopefully i will be in cambridge for the sept 2006 intake so i will be attending all the garden and pool parties :wink:

there's no pool parties! my college is one of the only ones with a pool! although you're most welcome to come if you bring fit friends.
Reply 131
Lauren
there's no pool parties! my college is one of the only ones with a pool! although you're most welcome to come if you bring fit friends.

i'll see how many girls i can bring :wink:
Remembering that we were all learners once is no good if you don't actually allow for that and show some respect and tolerance on the road. The learners you try to cut up in a 40mph zone could be on their second or third lesson, for all you know. They are not going to be helped by someone like you driving aggressively and trying to intimidate them into driving faster or pulling over, just so that you can get to your destination a few minutes quicker. It's up to you to make sure you leave enough time for your journey so you don't have to speed. Life is not a race.

I also thought it was ridiculous that you criticised people for driving with their parents rather than with an instructor. I live in the south east, where driving lessons are ridiculously expensive, and I had to save up and pay for all my lessons myself. I would have been learning for a lot longer and would have paid a lot more money in the long run if I had not been able to practise every day with my dad.

Don't be so judgmental.
Reply 133
1. Overtaking is not cutting up.
2. I overtake rather than get up the arse end of someone. I can't afford the excess.
3. Most people have to pay for their own lessons. What's your point? That's what jobs are for.
4. I drive/cycle defensively. I can't afford to crash, and I have no intention of being knocked off and killed either.
Reply 134
ramroff
i'll see how many girls i can bring :wink:

i want at least two fit men for every girl you bring :p:
Reply 135
Lauren
i want at least two fit men for every girl you bring :p:

why do you need 2 fit men for every girl i bring, when there's me? *swoons* :wink:
Reply 136
Lauren

PS. Unconditional offers from Cambridge are all the rage. But I didn't have to go to uni with the year below me to get mine. :rolleyes:

Oh get over yourself Lauren. I'm "at uni with the year below me" and I didn't have an unconditional offer. Does that make me less intelligent than you?

Lauren
2. I overtake rather than get up the arse end of someone. I can't afford the excess.

Alternatively, you could try staying a little way back and not being dangerously close to them. I think that's what defensive driving is meant to be about - overtaking in a 40 zone is aggressive rather than anything else.
Lauren
3. Most people have to pay for their own lessons. What's your point? That's what jobs are for.
4. I drive/cycle defensively. I can't afford to crash, and I have no intention of being knocked off and killed either.

1) It usually is when you're not on a dual carriageway.

2) Alternatively you could slow down, stick some music on, relax and accept that you're not going to do your journey in record time.

3) If you're studying for your A-levels at the same time it takes up most of your income. My point was that if you can practise with your parents, it takes a lot of pressure off you to work extra hours at the expense of your studies so that you can afford your lessons.

4) I note you said "defensively". Try driving "sensibly" and "courteously" with "consideration" for "other road users".
Reply 138
thats it
*chucks syrup over helenia and watches as she holds susie and lauren closely to maintain a balance, and watches as a bond forms*

*eats popcorn*
:flute:
Reply 139
susiemakemeblue
1) It usually is when you're not on a dual carriageway.

Precisely, the likelihood of you being able to safely overtake somebody in a 40 zone is practically zero, especially if, as you say, they're only travelling at 5mph under the limit. To get past someone doing 35, you're going to have to break the speed limit considerably.

Latest

Trending

Trending