Turn on thread page Beta

Philosophy At UCL: has anyone heard? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for Philosophy at UCL! Has anybody heard from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hades)
    Hey, I've applied for Philosophy at UCL! Has anybody heard from them yet?
    yep, they rejected me

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that ! When did you apply, and when did they contact you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caer)
    yep, they rejected me
    sorry to hear that caer, i didnt apply there as I only had 3 a levels.
    so far I've had unconditionals to study philosophy from KCL (which I'm really pleased about),Sheffield and Sussex while my form has gone through to the Durham colleges.
    where would you like to go the most?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quickquote)
    sorry to hear that caer, i didnt apply there as I only had 3 a levels.
    so far I've had unconditionals to study philosophy from KCL (which I'm really pleased about),Sheffield and Sussex while my form has gone through to the Durham colleges.
    where would you like to go the most?
    I applied before the oxbridge deadline, and got my rejection letter a couple of weeks ago.
    But I am quite happy since I have gotten unconditional offers from KCL and Glasgow. Definitely going to KCL if I'll get rejected by Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap! that must be why. Apparently, UCL don't like Oxbridge applicants so they tend to reject them without interview! How stupid. You'd think they'd want students of a high calibre...

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend studying philosophy at UCL,he finds it really stimulating.
    It seems that KCL is regarded more highly for philosophy and anyway you get access to other university of london facilities. so i think i'll be going to KCL.
    i see you're from sweden, I have really close family friends in Solna in stockholm!

ReputationRep:
    I got my rejection for philosophy last week. Apparently though they tend to reject oxbridge applicants automatically. I can't understand why they'd want to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump this =) I'm interviewing for phil @ UCL this thurs (Feb 5th). Did you get a place in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    My UCL Philosophy interview is March 17th! I thought we were all supposed to go on the same day?

ReputationRep:
    Shrug. They've got contention of 10:1 so I don't suppose they could fit everyone on one day unless they interviewed really quickly...

ReputationRep:
    Shrug. They've got contention of 10:1 so I don't suppose they could fit everyone on one day unless they interviewed really quickly...

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in your other thread. Oh well. Double postage!

I got in @ UCL, ABB. I thought I got owned in the interview, so don't worry if it seems tough... I was told by one of the first years in the common room that w/ predicted grades @ AAA you stand a pretty good chance of getting in nm how the interview goes...

Gl anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by si/)
    I posted this in your other thread. Oh well. Double postage!

I got in @ UCL, ABB. I thought I got owned in the interview, so don't worry if it seems tough... I was told by one of the first years in the common room that w/ predicted grades @ AAA you stand a pretty good chance of getting in nm how the interview goes...

Gl anyway!
    Hey, well done !

I did my interview today *shudders*- omigod, it was so hard! I think I got owned at the interview as well to be honest! The question he asked....ouch. I don't really know how I came off
    I hope I still get in, because no matter how moronic I was, I think I at LEAST sounded enthusiastic! Guess I'll just have to see how it goes. How soon after the interview do they let you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perdurabo)
    I got my rejection for philosophy last week. Apparently though they tend to reject oxbridge applicants automatically. I can't understand why they'd want to do that.

Er, unis can't tell whether you're applying to oxbridge; for the past 2 years now they haven't been able to see the other choices on your UCAS form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Er, unis can't tell whether you're applying to oxbridge; for the past 2 years now they haven't been able to see the other choices on your UCAS form!
    No, i read on a post elsewhere that UCL had a tendency to do that this year.
    How can they tell you applied to oxbridge? Well, due to the fact you have to have your ucas submitted much earlier than normal (mine was sent beginning of September), they can make a pretty good guess that you've made the oxbridge route. Coupled with your predicted grades, its highly likely that you did.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone of the previous posters give me any advice about the interview, is it true you have to write an essay, what is the tone of the interview, how long are they etc etc

please help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattjj)
    can anyone of the previous posters give me any advice about the interview, is it true you have to write an essay, what is the tone of the interview, how long are they etc etc

please help me.
    For philosophy? There is no essay, they just ask you a philosophical question, and you gotta say what you think- it's not thaaat bad really! Don't worry about it, you don't even need any previous philosophical knowledge but it might help if you read stuff up, if you wanna impress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perdurabo)
    No, i read on a post elsewhere that UCL had a tendency to do that this year.
    How can they tell you applied to oxbridge? Well, due to the fact you have to have your ucas submitted much earlier than normal (mine was sent beginning of September), they can make a pretty good guess that you've made the oxbridge route. Coupled with your predicted grades, its highly likely that you did.

Very true, but why would they wait til now to reject you? If they suspected you were trying for oxbridge and didn't want to make you an offer for that reason, they could just have rejected you back in October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Very true, but why would they wait til now to reject you? If they suspected you were trying for oxbridge and didn't want to make you an offer for that reason, they could just have rejected you back in October
    They did reject me in October, it came up on the online tracker. I didn't get my final ucas letter saying this until December. If you would kindly like to look at when i made my post you will see it was written months ago anyway.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.