Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Hoping somebody will be able to help me out. Im supposed to be going to Uni in Sept to do languages, but in last months ive become really interested into going into construction/surveying. I am currently doing some work experience at a friends building company and am now looking at poss doing this at uni.

However is there any chance that i could do this at uni this year? Im supposed to be going to Sheffield but they do not do surveying/construction so i know i could not change courses or anything when im there. And i know that i HAVE to accept my confirmed university place if i get the grades (i.e. if i got the grades ive got to go to Sheffield and cant withdraw and try and go through clearing). Is there anyway that i could go to uni this year to go and do a completely different degree? As i dont particularly want to take a year out and re-apply next year.

Looking for answers from somebody who knows the actual UCAS system pretty well!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Im not too sure to be honest. I do know that if you reject all your offers you are not allowed to enter the clearing system that year.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can phone your unis now, and get them to release you. Then you can enter Clearing. But you won't be able to choose another firm/insurance place.

ReputationRep:
    construction and surveying courses arent THAT competitive..... there may be spaces on a few courses at a few unis..... phone them up or send them an email. At least you'll know then..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by twenty1)
    construction and surveying courses arent THAT competitive..... there may be spaces on a few courses at a few unis..... phone them up or send them an email. At least you'll know then..
    Last year, there was only one architecture course in Clearing

ReputationRep:
    aaahhh, so if i get the university to release me then i can go through clearing! YEY! Of course il have to check with the universities what surveying courses come up through clearing!

Thanks guys you've helped me loads!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by libby227)
    aaahhh, so if i get the university to release me then i can go through clearing! YEY! Of course il have to check with the universities what surveying courses come up through clearing!

Thanks guys you've helped me loads!
    But you must do that now. As in right this very second (or maybe tomorrow, as it is a bit late to phone them). If you wait til results day then they'll have other far more important things to do and so you might not be released for a while and then all the good places will have gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Last year, there was only one architecture course in Clearing
    great......... architecture is not construction or surveying

ReputationRep:
    If you do a degree in Civil Engineering, you can take surveying modules, and maybe do a Masters in it. There should be a few good universities in clearing, so getting a place should be a problem if you get the grades. Sheffield University had civil engineering in clearing last year, and they have the 2nd best dept in the county.
    What subjects are you doing? You need a good grade in maths and physics for nearly all courses that involve the academic side of construction.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to do a degree in civil engineering though! As i havent taken maths physics etc, so i wanted to do a degree like construction management/building studies/quantity surveying+cost management.

However i wont be able to make a definite decision about doing a construction degree until the end of my work experience (next week) so im thinking thats def going to be too late to withdraw from Sheffield. If thats really what i want to do, think im just gonna have to accept that ive left it too late, take a gap year and pay top-up fees! Good one!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Next week isn't really too late, but you should do it as soon as possible and definitely before results day.

ReputationRep:
    do you have to ring up your Firm and Insurance to request release? or just Firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelprep)
    do you have to ring up your Firm and Insurance to request release? or just Firm?
    I think if you want to be released from both so you can go into clearing, you need to contact both. If you want to be released from your firm and make your insurance your firm, you again need to contact both. If you're keeping your firm but want to be released from your insurance so you can go into clearing if you miss the grades for your firm, you should only need to contact your firm. I'm not sure thouh; PQ will probably confirm for you

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.