Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone any idea?

may be thinking of applying :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's as competitive as Maths.

To the college, in terms of places allocated to subjects, Maths with Philosophy is just considered to be Maths.

i.e. If they allocate 250 places to Maths, one year 200 may go to Maths and 50 go to Maths with Philosophy and in another year 240 places go to Maths and 10 go to Philosophy.

So in effect it's as competitive as going for a straight Maths course, this is the impression I got from the Maths lecturer at Baliol when I went on Thursday, there was a few people in the open day for Maths.

I could be wrong, why not e-mail them or even not worry about it and apply and try your luck

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine it'd be quite competitive however I think you can put down a second choice preference for straight maths if they can't offer you a place on Maths+Phil - but I'm not sure...

ReputationRep:
    According to the prospectus:
    straigh maths has 37.4% succesful applications
    maths and comp science has 33.3%
    maths and stats has 33.9%
    maths and philosophy has 35.9%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PennyRoyalTea)
    Anyone any idea?

may be thinking of applying :confused:
    Yay, a prospective maths/phil student! I'm hopefully doing that course this year. I'm under the impression that as TomX said, it's roughly as competitve as maths, as you are competing against other maths students for places. Although they do interview you in philosophy, I think they pay more attention to your maths ability, and if your maths is exceptional they are likely to take you regardless, even if they offer you a place on a straight maths course instead(which can happen).

Good luck with your application, and feel free to pm me if you'd like any info about the course/application process from someone in the same position last year .

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys!, do any other universities do the maths 'n phil course?

ReputationRep:
    Other Places:
    Bristol, Birmingham, Edinbrugh, King's College London, Leeds, Manchetser, Nottingham, Southampton, Warwick and York. For a full list visit the UCAS website

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2005

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.