Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i was wondering whether its a good idea to put one or two lame jokes in your personal statement.

everyone has been saying that its a bad idea, but im thinking of putting a joke in my opening paragraph.

im not going to fill it with lame jokes, just the first paragraph (btw my statement will be geared towards maths!)

ReputationRep:
    What kind of joke were you thinking of can you show us an example?

ReputationRep:
    might not be a bad idea... no more than one, make sure its subtle and funny... it really has to be witty, otherwise it will detract from ur PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    hi
    i was wondering whether its a good idea to put one or two lame jokes in your personal statement.
    I'd be very careful about including jokes - the effect is very unpredictable and depends on the personality of the admissions tutor who reads the statement. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, but it all depends on what kind of a joke you have in mind, the rest of your statement, the subject you're applying for...

If you are going to include jokes, don't make them lame - make sure they are there for a reason and not simply to get in a joke or two! I hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I put a couple of light hearted comments in mine but youd have to be very sure that any joke is totally appropriate.

I never enjoyed the study of history or politics in school. Having suffered three years of a curriculum which gives the impression that the world began with the industrial revolution and ends with the fall of the Weimar republic – via the Suffrage – I found myself unable to handle money without suddenly contemplating the impact of inflation upon German society while some badly digested cheese would result in the haunting of my dreams by the ghost of Pankhurst. Suffice to say I did not advance my historical studies to university level. When I decided to do my bit for Mr. Blairs ambition to have half of school leavers in higher education I chose instead to indulge in my good science grades and study towards an M.Sci in Neuroscience at the University of Glasgow.
    Thats the first paragraph of my PS. Nothing major, just a little levity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    I'd be very careful about including jokes - the effect is very unpredictable and depends on the personality of the admissions tutor who reads the statement. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, but it all depends on what kind of a joke you have in mind, the rest of your statement, the subject you're applying for...

If you are going to include jokes, don't make them lame - make sure they are there for a reason and not simply to get in a joke or two! I hope that makes sense.

yep i got you loud and clear- NO LAME JOKES!
    i think i wont be able to resist puttin one in! ive not started writing it but i know that when i rite it, the jokes will fly!!

ReputationRep:
    yep i got you loud and clear- NO LAME JOKES!
    i think i wont be able to resist puttin one in! ive not started writing it but i know that when i rite it, the jokes will fly!!
    I would say not to.

Someone once wrote in there medical PS:

'I am a dedicated learner, have the ability to listen diligently to people. I believe there is a severe lack of great "DON" doctors like me'

but beware, what ever you write in ur PS, if the uni interview u, they'll ask u questions based on what u write in the PS.
    So if u include lame jokes, get prepared to get raped in the interview. :bandit:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    I would say not to.

Someone once wrote in there medical PS:

'I am a dedicated learner, have the ability to listen diligently to people. I believe there is a severe lack of great "DON" doctors like me'

but beware, what ever you write in ur PS, if the uni interview u, they'll ask u questions based on what u write in the PS.
    So if u include lame jokes, get prepared to get raped in the interview. :bandit:
    i dont think they interview you, if your applying for maths :confused: hope not. but whats wrong with the medical students PS??

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they interview you, if your applying for maths :confused: hope not. but whats wrong with the medical students PS??
    It depends where you apply. I got an informal interview at most places.
    I personally think jokes are a definite no no.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for math, jokes totally don't matter and for that reason wont really help.

The medical student's PS, this bit:
    'I believe there is a severe lack of great "DON" doctors like me'

This just is a bit of a joke, I mean 'DON doctors like him', he's not even in medical school yet and calls himself a 'DON doctor' - hehehe

ReputationRep:
    Btw, if you need any1 just to check your PS, I'm always offering.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, if you need any1 just to check your PS, I'm always offering.
    cool - ill send it to you when im finished. then you can tell me how lame my jokes are

ReputationRep:
    cool - ill send it to you when im finished. then you can tell me how lame my jokes are
    no problem :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no problem :rolleyes:
    so are you going to apply for medicine then? if u need any lame jokes lemme know!

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing maths, I word of the wise, do not write that there is further explanation that the personal statement box can not contain :p:

However, if you are applying for maths, it might be less risky than other subjects, as a lot of mathematicians are rather eccentric....I was thinking about starting my personal statement with a joke, but this thought lasted no longer than 3 seconds :p:

Silly start of my personal statement;

When I was 4 years old I was able to consistently beat my mother, who had studied some maths at her first year of University, at Connect 4. It was at this point I realised that I wanted another custard cream. However, over time I started to recognize my talent for maths, and my enthusiasm was......blah!

Oh dear oh dear, and I will not be saying that maths is integral to my life either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    Oh dear oh dear, and I will not be saying that maths is integral to my life either
    lol, thats a good one, well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)

Silly start of my personal statement;

When I was 4 years old I was able to consistently beat my mother, who had studied some maths at her first year of University, at Connect 4. It was at this point I realised that I wanted another custard cream. However, over time I started to recognize my talent for maths, and my enthusiasm was......blah!

well ur silly start seems better than mine!!!
    and i may be using 'the integral' line !!

ReputationRep:
    hi

everyone has been saying that its a bad idea, but im thinking of putting a joke in my opening paragraph.

im not going to fill it with lame jokes, just the first paragraph (btw my statement will be geared towards maths!)
    I would say don't!

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who put

"knock knock; whose there....."

in their PS, he got rejected by

Bristol
    UCL
    KCL

and got offers from
    Warwick
    Brunel
    I think the other one was swansea

but i think it depends on the admin, in my experience the admins saw an uni application to be a serious matter and not one to have jokes with. Save the jokes for the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    i know someone who put

"knock knock; whose there....."

in their PS, he got rejected by

Bristol
    UCL
    KCL

and got offers from
    Warwick
    Brunel
    I think the other one was swansea

but i think it depends on the admin, in my experience the admins saw an uni application to be a serious matter and not one to have jokes with. Save the jokes for the interview
    ahahahaha, wow... thats lame, barely qualifies as a joke... but I agree it does depend on your admissions tutor, but at the same time remember they will be reading hundreds of drab boring pieces of self promoting text, a lighthearted comment here and there might actually warm the admissions tutor to you.... just a thought...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.