Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by goku999)
    isnt it based on a word count?
    No - it is purely the 'space' ie 47 lines, i.5 cm margins and size 12 font.

ReputationRep:
    I am seeing mixed responses here, mine is 3900 characters and 49 lines @ point 12 times new roman.

Is mine allowed or not?

Also, do blank 'spacer' lines count towards that.

Also, do you use the character count with or without spaces, as there are about 700 spaces?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    character numbers do not matter - the 'space' available is a text box no larger than 47 lines. If you have 49 lines, the last 2 lines will not appear. Blank spacer lines have to be counted within your allocation of 47 lines

ReputationRep:
    Is that 47 lines in Times new Roman or Courier new which I heared somewhere.

Mine is 49 Times new roman but 77 Courier new!

And on what size paper are the 1.5cm margins. I did it on MS word A4 paper 1.5cm margins and I got it down to 45 lines? What size paper?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For goodness sake - how many times do I have to repeat this?
    47 lines maximum
    Size 12 font (Times new Roman)
    1.5 cm margins
    and, of course it's A4 size - that's the size of the form!

ReputationRep:
    So on an A4 MS Word document with 0.6in (1.5cm) margins to the left and to the right, my PS is now:

words: 677
    Lines: 47
    Characters: 3,949 (including spaces)
    Font: Times New Roman
    Size: 12
    Paragraphs: 8

This should be allowed right?

Sorry for asking so many times, but different people are giving different answers, I just want to be sure
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Words and character do NOT matter. Lines, fonts and margins are the critical items. If I were you I would not push it to the wire and try to get it to 46 lines, just in case you lose the last line or few words out of the text box. It is perfectly possible to present yourself in less than 47 lines and, actually, PSs are more readable if there is a space between paragraphs (BUT those spaces count as a full line!). If you are finding it difficult to get your PS down, then wait till you go back to school/college and get a teacher to go through it.

ReputationRep:
    LOL you guys can have my ucas form space. I can't get past 30 lines.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be a pain, but how about the TOP and BOTTOM margins? (I don't think this has been answered)

ReputationRep:
    can't anyone answer?

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys on about? I've been told that there is only an electronic version of the UCAS this year. So there's no reason to even be thinking about margins because once you save your form the nice UCAS people come up with "You have 22 linines and 234 characters remaining" (or something like that) in red letters.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    sorry to be a pain, but how about the TOP and BOTTOM margins? (I don't think this has been answered)
    Top and bottom margins do NOT matter as its the 47 lines that makes that margin for you!

ReputationRep:
    It's really, really simple. You have 47 lines. If you put it into the online form and you have more than 47 lines, you need to cut some out. Simple. For now, just write it, then when you get back to school you can try it in the form, and do whatever editing and cutting you need to with teachers' help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Top and bottom margins do NOT matter as its the 47 lines that makes that margin for you!
    yeah, but if you have one end with a big space, it might not print onto the UCAS form without overlaying any writing on the same page. Is there any where where I can see what the personal statement section looks like?

(Original post by TomD22)
    For now, just write it, then when you get back to school you can try it in the form, and do whatever editing and cutting you need to with teachers' help.
    fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    yeah, but if you have one end with a big space, it might not print onto the UCAS form without overlaying any writing on the same page. Is there any where where I can see what the personal statement section looks like?

(Original post by UCAS)
    It is no longer possible to make your UCAS application on a paper form (unless you have exceptional circumstances).
    http://www.ucas.com/apply/q+a.html

ReputationRep:
    It may be a good idea to specify the max. characters allowed.
    Mine is 3,300

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.