Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If anyone would be willing to take a look at my personal statement and give me some feedback/contructive criticism/tips, please reply to this thread and I'll PM you it. I'm applying for French and ab-initio Spanish, probably at Cambridge, Durham and 4 others out of Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester, Newcastle, Royal Holloway and Sheffield. Any information on those unversities to help me decide would also be welcome! Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Send it over here. And apply to Bristol, and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    moi aussi!

ReputationRep:
    I will look at it for you.

ReputationRep:
    You already seem to have plenty of helpers, but I'm here if you'd like another one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to ask, but would you be able to send it to me just for me to read it? I'm curious to see what a language personal statement would be like and would just be interested in taking a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    Sorry to ask, but would you be able to send it to me just for me to read it? I'm curious to see what a language personal statement would be like and would just be interested in taking a look
    Yeah sure, it's far from perfect yet though!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Send it me, I want to do French and I went to the Cambridge open day y'day, and was so impressed that now i'm thinking of doing French with ab initio Italian....not sure though. I loved Oxford, so that's pretty high up!

Send it over though!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey kelly! Thanks for sending the personal statement over to me. I found it very interesting to read. Although I don't intend to take languages at university, I think it's helpful to look at all sorts of different personal statements in regard to a various number of topics just to see the variety. I think you've done a pretty darn good job on it by the way, I hope the constructive criticism the other members give will help to give it that extra little bit. Good luck with it!

Thanks again!
    Marc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che_guevara)
    Hey!
    Send it me, I want to do French and I went to the Cambridge open day y'day, and was so impressed that now i'm thinking of doing French with ab initio Italian....not sure though. I loved Oxford, so that's pretty high up!

Send it over though!!!!
    Hey, I went to Cambridge yesterday too! I also loved it. Which college were you at? I went to Sidney Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it too! But I've already kinda spoken to you! Personal statements take so much work. I have loads of extra-curricular stuff that I've just done because I enjoy it but it can be related to languages and I won't be able to include it. It's good to mention things that you'll be happy to talk about at interview but make sure you give enough information for the unis where you won't have chance to sell yourself at interview.

ReputationRep:
    hiya would it be possible for me to have a look at your personal statement? I'm also thinking of applying to do languages- french and german at several of the unis you mentioned. I would be interested to see what you have put, as im really stuck with mine at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    If anyone would be willing to take a look at my personal statement and give me some feedback/contructive criticism/tips, please reply to this thread and I'll PM you it. I'm applying for French and ab-initio Spanish, probably at Cambridge, Durham and 4 others out of Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester, Newcastle, Royal Holloway and Sheffield. Any information on those unversities to help me decide would also be welcome! Thanks in advance
    You don't need any help it's amazing and so's what you did for mine

ReputationRep:
    Hey Kellywood - send it on over i have written 2 personal statements for languages now so might be of some use

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    i realise youve had loads of offers to help so this may be pointless, but id love to read it, im doing mine at the moment and am having trouble fitting everything in! How are you showing your interest in spanish? im not sure about taking it from scratch because i gave it up after gcse and so have to show continued interest, any ideas???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sedillon)
    hey,
    i realise youve had loads of offers to help so this may be pointless, but id love to read it, im doing mine at the moment and am having trouble fitting everything in! How are you showing your interest in spanish? im not sure about taking it from scratch because i gave it up after gcse and so have to show continued interest, any ideas???
    Well, I'm actually taking a GCSE in Spanish by distance learning at the moment, and I've read some literature (in translation obviously!). I plan to learn a bit of history as well (Spanish Civil War) so I'm hoping all that will show my interest, and I linked it in with my holiday to Tenerife. Maybe you could talk about how you regret giving it up and have now realised that languages are what you really want to do? Anyway, I've sent you my statement

ReputationRep:
    Could you send your statement my way (and anyone else who can help me out)! I really need help, I have loads of stuff to put on it, it's just I have no sodding idea how to write it in a coherent, 'pick me now' kind of way. BTW I will be applying to do Spanish and Russian/Spanish and Chinese. Any help at all or any statements would be help me A LOT! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs any more examples or help, I've still got my one! I got in at Aston last week to do German.

One tip my Careers Adviser gave me was that if you feel confident enough (or have a handy teacher), write a bit in the language you want to study. I started mine with "Zwanzig" - the German word for 20 because it was the first word I learnt.

ReputationRep:
    send it my way if you have some time!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.