Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Wilkinson)
    Hey

one of whom saying that i would need to be at least 18 to work with a doctor or shadow a consultant, by which time I would have already applied to university!!!
    Yeah, same thing happened to me, the majority of work experience/paid work you have to be 18, but shadowing and voluntary work should be fine

ReputationRep:
    you dont have to be 18....... phone up your local hospital.... and theres a form and information pack about this. You need to be checked out and things for insurance purposes. But its not hard... 1000s of people have work experience in hospitals every year. majority are in Year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se77en)
    you dont have to be 18....... phone up your local hospital.... and theres a form and information pack about this. You need to be checked out and things for insurance purposes. But its not hard... 1000s of people have work experience in hospitals every year. majority are in Year 11
    I'm in year 12 (just year 13 now), and I couldn't even get work experience in my area, perhaps its a crap area, i don't know. I thought when you're 16 (insurance card), you would be able to do paid work, but when I phoned the hospital they said I have to be 18

ReputationRep:
    well... I did it when i was 16 and I just had to get a form and I worked with a consultant for 2 weeks. But its all about contacts isnt it...... my dads a doctor. And btw.. its voluntary..... hospitals have enough applications each year so they can pick and choose. Its very unlikely you'll get paid anything.

ReputationRep:
    well... I did it when i was 16 and I just had to get a form and I worked with a consultant for 2 weeks. But its all about contacts isnt it...... my dads a doctor. And btw.. its voluntary..... hospitals have enough applications each year so they can pick and choose. Its very unlikely you'll get paid anything.
    'but its all about contacts,' yes this is true. Yes I did say voluntariry is fine (see above threads). But for some reason when I said 'work experience', only then did they say I had to be 18

ReputationRep:
    well do it through contacts then... go and see you're local GP. He'll know loads of consultants that might let you work with them for a week. Say you're desperate and turn on the charm.

ReputationRep:
    well do it through contacts then... go and see you're local GP. He'll know loads of consultants that might let you work with them for a week. Say you're desperate and turn on the charm.
    cheers, I'll bare that in mind

ReputationRep:
    call up the human resources department of your local hospital and ask them. That's what i did last year though i couldn't do the job in the end because they to aaaaages to get it sorted out and i had another volunteer thing planned

ReputationRep:
    This is what i did--ive just finished year 11 and did WE at hospital--realisitcily the one department which will take you is the haemotology dept. Call up the main office and ask to for the consultant in the haemo. ward...once connected explain your circumstances..and wahey-easy enough.

ReputationRep:
    I have got some work experience in a hospital, starting tomorrow. I got it by having a familiy friend who's a doctor. If you know anyone like that, ask them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Wilkinson)
    Hey

I have just finished GCSE's and am trying to find some work experience in a hospital, perhaps shadowing a consultant or doing relevant voluntary work in the hospital itself. I was wondering whether anyone has any advice as to how I might go about this, as many of the hospitals in my local area do not have extensive voluntary programs and so far have been less than helpful, one of whom saying that i would need to be at least 18 to work with a doctor or shadow a consultant, by which time I would have already applied to university!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated
    You might find it difficult to arrange something without 'contacts on the inside' at your age.

Try actually volunteering (at a hospice/old folks home/hospital/where ever) on a Saturday or something - it is infintely easier to arange shaddowing once you're 'in'. Plus the voluntary experience will stand your application to medical school in good stead!

ReputationRep:
    your college should have sorted you out with w.e. a day centre for kids and shadowing a junior at an a&e dept. for example...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spike_spiegel)
    your college should have sorted you out with w.e. a day centre for kids and shadowing a junior at an a&e dept. for example...

Not everyone is spoon fed, or gets that kind of 'help' from their school...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.