The Student Room Group

Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in International.

Has anyone gone to this place? I'm considering applying for undergraduate medicine but I have gleaned very little from my research on it. The website and prospectus aren't very detailed and it all looks a little mysterious at the moment. If anyone has attended RCSI or has any information they'd be willing to share about it I'd be very grateful if you could give me any advice and details of your experiences. Also, I read that RCSI is made up of 80% international students. Is this simply coincidence or is there some sort of deliberately set quota that could affect my chances of getting in?
Conall1
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in International.

Has anyone gone to this place? I'm considering applying for undergraduate medicine but I have gleaned very little from my research on it. The website and prospectus aren't very detailed and it all looks a little mysterious at the moment. If anyone has attended RCSI or has any information they'd be willing to share about it I'd be very grateful if you could give me any advice and details of your experiences. Also, I read that RCSI is made up of 80% international students. Is this simply coincidence or is there some sort of deliberately set quota that could affect my chances of getting in?

Hiya, i did not attend RCSI but its only 5 mins walk from my university. I am not sure what you are asking here, is it the application process you are enquiring about?

And no they don't have a quota on international student, i'll ask some of my friends to confirm that for you just in case!
Reply 2
billykwok
Hiya, i did not attend RCSI but its only 5 mins walk from my university. I am not sure what you are asking here, is it the application process you are enquiring about?

And no they don't have a quota on international student, i'll ask some of my friends to confirm that for you just in case!

No, I know the application process fairly well but I was just wondering what life at RCSI is like. Is it like being any other university? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to it being a solely medical-based place?
Conall1
No, I know the application process fairly well but I was just wondering what life at RCSI is like. Is it like being any other university? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to it being a solely medical-based place?

They have all the societies and activities a normal university would have, and obviously its not just medical students there; they also do courses for nursing and physiotherapy and the likes. So you'll be able to know some other people other than from your course.

I guess in terms of disadvantage, you won't know anyone outside of healthcare; but overall it is fine. It has got an okay reputation, probably below TCD and UCD; but the students i have met there are all fun to be with!

Although i must say, a lot more students failed their year in RCSI than in TCD (this is anecdotal, i do not have the fail rate for RCSI but this is from what i have heard, from a lot of RCSI students) - now whether this is due to the study culture or the exam being harder, i do not know.
Reply 5
billykwok
They have all the societies and activities a normal university would have, and obviously its not just medical students there; they also do courses for nursing and physiotherapy and the likes. So you'll be able to know some other people other than from your course.

I guess in terms of disadvantage, you won't know anyone outside of healthcare; but overall it is fine. It has got an okay reputation, probably below TCD and UCD; but the students i have met there are all fun to be with!

Although i must say, a lot more students failed their year in RCSI than in TCD (this is anecdotal, i do not have the fail rate for RCSI but this is from what i have heard, from a lot of RCSI students) - now whether this is due to the study culture or the exam being harder, i do not know.

Thanks! It looks alright but I don't know where I'd rank it with my CAO choices. Does it really have a lower reputation than TCD and UCD?! Maybe I was just impressed with its fancy name :biggrin:
Conall1
Thanks! It looks alright but I don't know where I'd rank it with my CAO choices. Does it really have a lower reputation than TCD and UCD?! Maybe I was just impressed with its fancy name :biggrin:

http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_09_xbx.htm

This is a list of the average points required for each course published by the central application office. The higher the points, the more students applied for that course per place - as the points required is only based on demand of places. (universities do not set the entry requirements)

TCD - 729
UCD - 720
RCSI - 715
Reply 7
billykwok
http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_09_xbx.htm

This is a list of the average points required for each course published by the central application office. The higher the points, the more students applied for that course per place - as the points required is only based on demand of places. (universities do not set the entry requirements)

TCD - 729
UCD - 720
RCSI - 715

:biggrin: You couldn't have been more helpful.:biggrin: Thanks so much. I just need to sort out my top three choices from RCSI, UCD and TCD. Confusion reigns.:confused: