Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Leave them to sort their own problems out, they will be better of for it in the long run.
    No.

I am simply concerned that we could start to exert too much influence in Africa. Helping those who are suffering from AIDS is what we should be doing, yes, HOWEVER, we have a habit of building schools over there.

ReputationRep:
    i think the rich countries have a bit of part into why africa is poor, mainly it is because of the unfair trade policies. Thats why it must be sorted out, its just like sucking the life of africa, poor countries gets poorer and poorer, while rich countries just get richer and richer... not a very good world is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Agreed BK. The whole interventionist argument is founded on two beliefs;
    1) They are the same as us under the skin, and can live like us if we help them to.
    2) They are starving, so we should help.

The first belief is wrongheaded and racist, and leads via aid, emigration and adoption of western agriculture and medicine to population explosion - which causes the starving. The second belief leads us to help out todays generation, who go on to breed even more necessarily helpless beggars.

We should leave them alone, or only intervene to help them bring down their population.

The tribes Bruce Parry visited did not suffer from poverty, they had rich native cultures, a relationship with their environment that we lack, and no need of aid or intervention.
    How is the belief that they are the same as us underneath the skin racist?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed BK. The whole interventionist argument is founded on two beliefs;
    1) They are the same as us under the skin, and can live like us if we help them to.
    2) They are starving, so we should help.

The first belief is wrongheaded and racist, and leads via aid, emigration and adoption of western agriculture and medicine to population explosion - which causes the starving. The second belief leads us to help out todays generation, who go on to breed even more necessarily helpless beggars.

We should leave them alone, or only intervene to help them bring down their population.

The tribes Bruce Parry visited did not suffer from poverty, they had rich native cultures, a relationship with their environment that we lack, and no need of aid or intervention.
    Thankyou, and the latter point is the one which i am emphasising. I think the most minimal action should be taken, if only to control disease.
    I have an awful feeling that following this, though, the West is going to start interfering to the everyday life of Africans, which i believe could be very damaging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    No.

I am simply concerned that we could start to exert too much influence in Africa. Helping those who are suffering from AIDS is what we should be doing, yes, HOWEVER, we have a habit of building schools over there.
    But Africa generally welcomes our help. What's wrong with building schools over there? If you're referring to the British International School in Nigeria that was on the news today - I don't see any problem with that, apart from the fact that it is outrageously expensive and is such a contrast to the education the vast majority of Nigerians receive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    So until then, it'll be okay to just let 50,000 people a day die?
    yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    i think the rich countries have a bit of part into why africa is poor, mainly it is because of the unfair trade policies. Thats why it must be sorted out, its just like sucking the life of africa, poor countries gets poorer and poorer, while rich countries just get richer and richer... not a very good world is it?
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    But Africa generally welcomes our help. What's wrong with building schools over there? If you're referring to the British International School in Nigeria that was on the news today - I don't see any problem with that, apart from the fact that it is outrageously expensive and is such a contrast to the education the vast majority of Nigerians receive.
    Why build schools over there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    yep.
    No. You're so outrageous and misguided. Open your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Leave them to sort their own problems out, they will be better of for it in the long run.
    A very eloquent way of saying "who cares, they ain't white".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    Because what it really means is that under their skin, they are White, and will adopt our civilisation if we reshape their cultures, behaviours and traditions. It's not true. Our culture is different and suits us but isn't right for everybody. We don't want to live like Bushmen. We are different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    Yes, Isn't that the antithesis?

ReputationRep:
    Because what it really means is that under their skin, they are White, .
    No, they are human. Who cares about colour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    yep.
    Do you just not value a human life?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, and the latter point is the one which i am emphasising. I think the most minimal action should be taken, if only to control disease.
    I have an awful feeling that following this, though, the West is going to start interfering to the everyday life of Africans, which i believe could be very damaging.
    We've been doing that directly or indirectly for hundreds of years. At least in the days of the Empire we could enforce justice, now we have to rely on idiots like Mugabe to dispense aid fairly and run a decent country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    No, they are human. Who cares about colour?
    This has nothing to do with race IMO, and it is an interesting reflection of English society that it as become a race issue so soon.

Regardless of race, Africa has a wealth of different cultures, all different to ours.

ReputationRep:
    This has nothing to do with race IMO, and it is an interesting reflection of English society that it as become a race issue so soon.
    Its only ArthurOliver that has made it a race issue, I don't find him representitive of English society.

ReputationRep:
    Why build schools over there?
    To give children an education, which will teach them the fundamentals that they'll require in life such as literacy and numeracy skills. Also, sex education, sanitation and nutrition will improve basic health and children will be able to build on their education by studying more, developing skills and improving the country's industry (which in turn improves the economy).

ReputationRep:
    Oh and LC01 of course, but that argument's not even worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    To give children an education, which will teach them the fundamentals that they'll require in life such as literacy and numeracy skills. Also, sex education, sanitation and nutrition will improve basic health and children will be able to build on their education by studying more, developing skills and improving the country's industry (which in turn improves the economy).
    :dito:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.