Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what you are saying to an extent, just because their lifestyles are different to ours doesn't mean they aren't as fun or depthful, in fact, since they, assumingly, have less materials they become less materialistic and more spiritualistic (assuming that when your materialisticism is expressed as a decimal, 1 - Materialisticism = Spiritualisticism), which is supposedly a better thing.

But on the other hand, there is much disease and illness in Africa which needs to be sorted, although I know nothing of diseases or geography I'd assume that some of the diseases to be due to the location of Africa (and it's extreme weather) and therefore unsolvable, as far as I'm aware.

Africa does need constant aid from the top countries since they have a harder time growing food.

So bottom line, support is needed I think.

EDIT: I cannot believe people are calling the thread starter racist, all he's doing is expressing a point of view, I don't even think (and I CBA checking) if he said he agreed with the point of view he described.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    In some parts, perhaps. But in many parts of Africa, this would be viewed as immoral and quite rightly so, a slow erosion of some of the most distinct cultures of the continent.

We can't really say that situations would be "improved" just because things would be done our way.
    Agreed, but much of Africa lacks the ability to become sustainable by itself anymore. Things won't improve just by leaving the people to their own devices (in the worst-off areas).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Well, for a start its one of many arguments that contradict the nationalist position of 'its not our problem'.
    It shows that we have a certain amount of responsibility.
    In demanding and gaining independence from European powers, the colonies accepted the responsibility of self-determination. Thus it is, by definition, no longer our problem.

However, a certain amount of carefully considered aid is needed for moral reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    Agreed, but much of Africa lacks the ability to become sustainable by itself anymore. Things won't improve just by leaving the people to their own devices (in the worst-off areas).
    Depends what direction they would choose to take. If they are trying to compete at Western Standards, things will just get worse, but if they are to turn back to their routes, then all could be very well.

ReputationRep:
    Thats why i suggested treating disease, and i made this very clear...
    But as for going any further than that, i feel would be a bad move.

Supply treatment for disease, and leave the continent to live and breathe by itself.
    So they go on spending much of the GDP on debt to Western nations, and in the circumstances of some African nations, spending more on the military than health and education combined?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    Not really. I meant establishing or supporting the institutions, not every rule and regulation etc. Look at it this way; Africa has had 50/40/30 years of independence post British Empire, what have they achieved? In most cases nothing, they will continue to wallow in a downward spiral if we do not act.
    They are not wallowing in a downward spiral, they are trying to keep their balance after the disastrous effects of aid, western agriculture and medicine, post colonial, have sent their population sky high. They will find their equilibrium and identity by turning from the west and rediscovering their own national cultures and traditions. Turning themselves into a France or Germany just isn't a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    I'm not saying we should totally exclude ourselves from it now, but if we had not gone over there in the first place, then maybe Africa would have had less problems. Which is what beekeeper said, and I concur.
    In my view it would have had more problems.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what direction they would choose to take. If they are trying to compete at Western Standards, things will just get worse, but if they are to turn back to their routes, then all could be very well.
    The psyche of the poorest African people is that what they have is the best they'll get. Farms which barely produce enough to feed the whole family. Having children to help them work. Governments who don't help their people because they're busy bolstering up the borders to avoid invasion..

I think it's too far gone now to leave much of Africa to it's own devices..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    They are not wallowing in a downward spiral, they are trying to keep their balance after the disastrous effects of aid, western agriculture and medicine, post colonial, have sent their population sky high. They will find their equilibrium and identity by turning from the west and rediscovering their own national cultures and traditions. Turning themselves into a France or Germany just isn't a possibility.
    That argument bears a striking similarity to the BNP's 'volountary repatriation' idea. Im not implying you're racist. I am implying that you're incredibly short sighted, however. Do you seriously think that, if you conducted a poll of all Africans they would communicate a desire to abbandon their cities and go and live under trees chasing monkeys?

They just want a wage, and decent living conditions. I doubt that it is general consensus that they are being kept from living their 'triba'l lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    They will find their equilibrium and identity by turning from the west and rediscovering their own national cultures and traditions.
    How do you propose they'd do that? They've been given a perception of life in the West that is much better than their own. Telling them that that's not the life for them will raise a few eyebrows..

ReputationRep:
    Im sick of hearing the hardships of africa, no one help us during the years of the black death WE sorted our own problems out, they should sort their problems out, its NOTHING to do with us. We have already sent them 6 times the amount of money that was used to rebuild the whole of europe after WW2, enough is enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)

EDIT: I cannot believe people are calling the thread starter racist, all he's doing is expressing a point of view, I don't even think (and I CBA checking) if he said he agreed with the point of view he described.
    Beekeeper isn't a racist. The same can't be said for one or two others, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    That argument bears a striking similarity to the BNP's 'volountary repatriation' idea. Im not implying you're racist. I am implying that you're incredibly short sighted, however. Do you seriously think that, if you conducted a poll of all Africans they would communicate a desire to abbandon their cities and go and live under trees chasing monkeys?
    They just want a wage, and decent living conditions. I doubt that it is general consensus that they are being kept from living their 'triba'l lives.
    Agreed, I already addressed the rejection of tradition African culture and the turning toward the West for answers and futures - I'm suggesting you're incredibly short sighted.

It doesn't resemble, much less bear a striking similarity to 'voluntary repatriation', I'm suggesting you're stretching to suggest unpleasant motives for my comments, best leave the tea-leaves alone and just comment on my posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    A very eloquent way of saying "who cares, they ain't white".
    I have not brought race into it, it has nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yet you supported the war in Iraq..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Yet you supported the war in Iraq..
    who did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Im sick of hearing the hardships of africa, no one help us during the years of the black death WE sorted our own problems out, they should sort their problems out, its NOTHING to do with us. We have already sent them 6 times the amount of money that was used to rebuild the whole of europe after WW2, enough is enough.
    Ever heard of a thing called inflation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    I have not brought race into it, it has nothing to do with it.
    I believe you. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Ever heard of a thing called inflation?
    taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    who did?
    bee

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.