Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    I must have missed something.. what does poverty in Africa have to do with the War in Iraq?
    Intervention in foreign affairs.
    (whatever the motivation)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Intervention in foreign affairs.
    (whatever the motivation)
    Would the world really be a better place if we all just left each other alone?

ReputationRep:
    Would the world really be a better place if we all just left each other alone?
    Definitely not. Nazi Germany and North Korea are 2 examples of where intervention was/is desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Definitely not. Nazi Germany and North Korea are 2 examples of where intervention was/is desirable.
    You intervene. I don't have any interest in Koreans and regret WW2. Leave me out of your squabbles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    You intervene. I don't have any interest in Koreans and regret WW2. Leave me out of your squabbles.
    I'm not asking you to do anything!

But what do you mean, you have no 'interest' in Koreans? There is well documented proof that North Korea has a system of concentration camps, complete with gas chambers, where families have been gassed alive.

ReputationRep:
    N.Korea's not unique and not my problem. I don't want to see a world police force and I don't believe that politicians should have the power to send kids to fight their wars.

ReputationRep:
    N.Korea's not unique and not my problem.
    Well that's your opinion. I happen to have aspirations of making the world a better place for more people, not just people in my own town/country. And I know there's others that feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    You're the know-all busybody type I refer to in the world peace thread. Wind your neck in, you do more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    You're the know-all busybody type I refer to in the world peace thread. Wind your neck in, you do more harm than good.
    You're being very confrontational tonight! Chill man. I'm going to bed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nighty night Hyacinth

ReputationRep:
    The Africans cannot help themselves. We are a greater and more richer country. We should help them. These people need our help. Lets not be selfish and prevent them getting it. I know the country would rather spend the money on immigrants but thats just asking for trouble. Help the Africans.

ReputationRep:
    To give children an education, which will teach them the fundamentals that they'll require in life such as literacy and numeracy skills. Also, sex education, sanitation and nutrition will improve basic health and children will be able to build on their education by studying more, developing skills and improving the country's industry (which in turn improves the economy).
    You do know that education in nigeria is of a high standard similar to British state education, I have many relatives who are testaments of this. Only problem is alot of these schools are private which alot of the public cannot afford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJ No.18)
    You do know that education in nigeria is of a high standard similar to British state education, I have many relatives who are testaments of this. Only problem is alot of these schools are private which alot of the public cannot afford.
    I do know that, but private schools that the vast majority of the population can't afford to send their children to aren't going to help them.

ReputationRep:
    Eliminating the West (which you've identified as the problem) isn't going to help Africa much..
    He didn't say that :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    In demanding and gaining independence from European powers, the colonies accepted the responsibility of self-determination. Thus it is, by definition, no longer our problem.

However, a certain amount of carefully considered aid is needed for moral reasons.
    So you want to punish them for having the audacity to believe they should have political parties that represents the nations interest.

Lets also punish them for wanting the right to vote in their own country, sit in the same restaurants and go to the same schools as whites.

Independence from european countries was the first step in correcting the wrongs of their predeccesors, morally it is "our problem" as you put it as by developing these nations as raw material nations it made them entirely dependent on one source of export income like rubber for congo.

Britain and France handled the transition better than the rest of europe as Spain and Portugal just packed its proverbial bags and left, but the cripplin debts and the manipulation of multi-national companies in africa still frustrates any development.

If you do have a heart sir you will see, morally it is "our problem".

ReputationRep:
    I do know that, but private schools that the vast majority of the population can't afford to send their children to aren't going to help them.
    Good, I was just asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJ No.18)
    He didn't say that :confused:
    I was putting words in his mouth - the debate was getting a bit slow..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Yes actually they did
    Morrocans and Algerians as far as I know are not in dire poverty and these are not the countries this campaign is targeted at its targeted at sub-saharan countries. Can you show me evidence of sub-saharan countries enslaving whites?.

Anyway any enslavement by north africans featured blacks and not whites. The Trans-saharan slave trade resulted in many blacks being transported across many countries in asia. Infact slavery is still rife in countries such as Mauritania and Sudan.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.