Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    if it wasnt for USA, we would be enslaved by ****ing Nazi Germany!!!Common sense, dont you think so?
    Amen to that, just look at what happened to our empire before the Americans became involved in the pacific theatre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Amen to that, just look at what happened to our empire before the Americans became involved in the pacific theatre.
    what are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    What are you on about, guys? If it wasn't for the USA, we'd still have our Empire, and all the worlds dictators would have names like "Smith" and "Rhodes", except for the German ones who rule the rest of Europe.
    in anyways what is the point of having an empire, where the the local population of colonized countries are classed as second class citizens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    in anyways what is the point of having an empire, where the the local population of colonized countries are classed as second class citizens?
    He was taking the mick, I believe. Or in other words, being sarcastic. If the US did not exist, then it is perfectly logical to assume that Britain could have made a compromise peace with Germany, since Churchill could hold out no hope that the USA would eventually join in the war. But, in the end, we sacrificed the British Empire to defeat Nazi Germany and Facist Japan and Italy, and there is no greater achievement than that. That sacrifice alone should at least go some way to make up for many of the terrible things that it did.

ReputationRep:
    So would you rather prefer all the other countries to stay authorative with political oppression?
    No. Therefore I urge the USA to stop supporting genocidal dictators and to apologise for its history of doing so. I also believe that by imposing military sanctions, international pressure and supporting genuine, grassroots democracy movements, we can overthrow such regimes.
    .At the moment, UK is proposing to scrap all the depts
    I believe this is for 14 countries and comes with conditions. They refuse to rule out the possibility of taking the debt money out of the existing aid budget to compensate and are not giving a pledge to reach the UN figure of 0.7% a year for aid. And the US public spend more on cat and dog food than the US does on aid per year.

Communistic and authorative countries such as USSR and CHina would be now more dominant. Isnt it a common sense for such smart person as you are.
    Being more dominant and taking over westerm Europe and the USA are two different things. And the USSR would have fallen anyway. If anything the arms race propped it up.

Do they really spend on war?
    Are you being serious? Iraq? Afghanestan? Yugoslavia?

We need high military expenditures to preserve peace and limit the agression from other countries
    Preserve the peace by being involved in more wars than any other nation in the last 50 years?

China would otherwise invade Taiwan or other neighbouring countries
    Wasn't Taiwan originally China, the Nationalists just made up their own country?

Would you rather prefer to live in China than in USA or UK?
    If I was Chinese I'd probably prefer to live in China. I'd prefer to live in the UK because I am British. I would rather live in China than America.

Nowadays we need a global power to preserve a peace. Without such superpower all the other small mediocre countries would go to war against each other.
    So why did the USA fund the Iraqi side of the Iran Iraq war? Why does it fund Israel's military? Why does it keep invading places? The USA has invaded more countries than any other I can think of!

And your arrogance is quite awful. Some of the countries you describe as mediocre have a culture and history richer than the USA could ever hope to have.

Currently UK has a quite respectable position on a global level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    No. Therefore I urge the USA to stop supporting genocidal dictators and to apologise for its history of doing so. I also believe that by imposing military sanctions, international pressure and supporting genuine, grassroots democracy movements, we can overthrow such regimes.
    I believe this is for 14 countries and comes with conditions. They refuse to rule out the possibility of taking the debt money out of the existing aid budget to compensate and are not giving a pledge to reach the UN figure of 0.7% a year for aid. And the US public spend more on cat and dog food than the US does on aid per year.

Being more dominant and taking over westerm Europe and the USA are two different things. And the USSR would have fallen anyway. If anything the arms race propped it up.

Are you being serious? Iraq? Afghanestan? Yugoslavia?

Preserve the peace by being involved in more wars than any other nation in the last 50 years?

Wasn't Taiwan originally China, the Nationalists just made up their own country?

If I was Chinese I'd probably prefer to live in China. I'd prefer to live in the UK because I am British. I would rather live in China than America.

So why did the USA fund the Iraqi side of the Iran Iraq war? Why does it fund Israel's military? Why does it keep invading places? The USA has invaded more countries than any other I can think of!

And your arrogance is quite awful. Some of the countries you describe as mediocre have a culture and history richer than the USA could ever hope to have.

Currently UK has a quite respectable position on a global level.
    good for you and then change your nationality and go to China.Why USSR would collapse,when there is no USA? It wont, it would just grow stronger. Go and study the GCSE history book, which explains American's attempts to weaken both Soviet economy and military.Without USA, USSR would have dominated the whole Western Europe and you and me would have liven in this authorative regime.
    I think you are being contradictive to yourself and you ignore other useful I ve stated. As for instance, you want democracy, then why cant Taiwan have their independence. It just doesnt want to be fallen in the corruptive authorative Chinese regime.You havent responded to my Tibet's statements. Why the hell China invaded Tibet and everything seems to be ok. Same can happen with Taiwan.
    Why cant Israel have independence. Jewish people want also their own country, like British do. Everyone does. Why cant just Arabs get on with that?
    if USA didnt fund Israel, then Israel would clearly fall into Arab hands.

ReputationRep:
    good for you and then change your nationality and go to China.
    I said I'd rather live in the UK as I am British.

Why USSR would collapse,when there is no USA? It wont, it would just grow stronger.
    Because it became unpopular. People threw them out. Did they not teach you about the Solidarity Movement in your GCSE course?

As for instance, you want democracy, then why cant Taiwan have their independence. It just doesnt want to be fallen in the corruptive authorative Chinese regime.
    You don't create nations to avoid corruption.

You havent responded to my Tibet's statements.
    The USA was a lot more hostile to China when they took over Tibet. I haven't seen any aggression since.

Same can happen with Taiwan.
    So?

Why cant Israel have independence. Jewish people want also their own country, like British do.
    So Sikhs should have their own country? Should we have a Buddist Republic? A Hindu State? States are for ethnic groups and peoples not religious groups. They are simply not the same.

Everyone does. Why cant just Arabs get on with that?
    So you support a Palestinian state? 'The Arabs' do not like it because it involved their land being taken and their people being killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    You don't create nations to avoid corruption.
    Taiwan was created as a country because many people did not wish, surprise surprise, to live under a Communist regime :eek: The Taiwanese government could actually be regarded as the true government of China, since the Nationalist government was forced to flee to Taiwan when the Communists took over the Chinese mainland. And in every election held there, a clear and large majority have voted consistantly for parties that either want independance for Taiwan or who wish to maintain the status quo and only join China if it becomes fully democratic.

ReputationRep:
    Why USSR would collapse,when there is no USA?
    It is a common misconception that the USSR collapsed because of the USA. The USSR collapsed because its economy could not cope with the 20th century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    what are you talking about?
    The fall of singapore? Ring any bells? The "This is Britain's darkest hour" speech? The forgotten army? World War II? You know, it ended 60 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    It is a common misconception that the USSR collapsed because of the USA. The USSR collapsed because its economy could not cope with the 20th century.
    Well it managed pretty well to survive through most of it then!

And it's on 'the up' again, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    And it's on 'the up' again, isn't it?
    How could the economy of the USSR be on "the up", if the USSR no longer exists?

(Original post by JonD)
    How could the economy of the USSR be on "the up", if the USSR no longer exists?
    Pedant!

To be precise then, look at Russia's economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Pedant!

To be precise then, look at Russia's economy.
    I'm not sure how much the modern Russian economy resembles the USSR economy. There're legal private enterprises, foreign investors and at least lip service to property rights.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be more specific. Russia went bankrupt because it stayed in Afghanistan too long.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be more specific. Russia went bankrupt because it stayed in Afghanistan too long.
    Actually it went bankrupt due to many reasons, the primary one being the fall in the price of oil and everything that entailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Actually it went bankrupt due to many reasons, the primary one being the fall in the price of oil and everything that entailed.
    Thats true, but its presence in Afghanistan was one of the reasons why they couldn't keep up with America (as they had tried to in the 1960s/70s)

ReputationRep:
    Trying to maintain something close to military equality with the USA was one of the factors which badly damaged the Soviet economy, though, as the USA acknowledged as early as the 1940s. One of the mjost inportant aspects of the Cold War was the pressure that put on the Soviet ecomony.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.