Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doing AS French next year, yay! But, I have heard it's a big jump from GCSE so I was wondering if it would be useful to do some reading over the summer? They sell some French magazines at my local WHSmith so I was wondering if buying and reading some of them would be beneficial? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    course it'll be beneficial :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes certainly, as well as watching French TV and French radio.
    You could also buy a revision guide, i'm sure that would help.

ReputationRep:
    And brushing up on grammar, tenses and all that is a really good idea - you can learn all that on your own from a revision guide or something. That was what I found hardest about AS french, especially because my school didn't teach them at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, definitely. I did no preparation for AS and I found it OK, so it's not the end of the world if you don't, but it will make things easier if you do because there is a pretty big gap and you could end up forgetting your French very easily if you don't use it for 6 weeks! Reading French magazines would be good, and you could also try reading a newspaper online. I recommend www.liberation.fr, as the articles aren't too long and the language is quite straightforward. As well as that, listening to the radio online and watching TV or a film would help with the listening. Make sure you have a good understanding of all the grammar you've covered at GCSE as well as vocabulary.

ReputationRep:
    definitely do something. i did gcse french a year early so i basically had a year before a-level where i did nearly no french - big mistake. that said, french newspapers and magazines can be very boring because the articles are rarely interesting. i recommend finding dvds which have both french language AND french subtitles (if they have english subtitles you just don't listen, you end up thinking that they're speaking english). you watch the film listening to the french, and you can read the french subtitles which help you to understand. that way you get practice in listening, oral, reading and written work. best films to try, obviously, are french ones (amelie, jean de florette, etc etc) but you can also find dubbed films - i watched 'secret window' for A2 french revision.

also, i know you didn't ask, but if at all possible go on a french exchange at some point in your course - i spent two weeks working as an assistant in a primary school in france and my french improved hugely.

sorry, i've written a bit of an essay there :s:

ReputationRep:
    i didnt start french AS till my second year at coll, and i only got a C at gcse. Its a big step yes, but u spend so much more time on it that you will learn quickly. If u want to do some prep, i suggest yes dvds, but also buy the french version of ur favorite book - i bought hitchhikers guide to the galaxy book 1, it saved much time scouring through dictionaries, being able to just compare english-french versions when i got stuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    i didnt start french AS till my second year at coll, and i only got a C at gcse. Its a big step yes, but u spend so much more time on it that you will learn quickly. If u want to do some prep, i suggest yes dvds, but also buy the french version of ur favorite book - i bought hitchhikers guide to the galaxy book 1, it saved much time scouring through dictionaries, being able to just compare english-french versions when i got stuck
    the book thing is a good idea, especially if you do edexcel french because you can study literature at A2 with that exam board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yeah, definitely. I did no preparation for AS and I found it OK, so it's not the end of the world if you don't, but it will make things easier if you do because there is a pretty big gap and you could end up forgetting your French very easily if you don't use it for 6 weeks! Reading French magazines would be good, and you could also try reading a newspaper online. I recommend www.liberation.fr, as the articles aren't too long and the language is quite straightforward. As well as that, listening to the radio online and watching TV or a film would help with the listening. Make sure you have a good understanding of all the grammar you've covered at GCSE as well as vocabulary.
    that site looks pretty good actually, this article made me laugh - http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=309409 good start to his reign! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    that site looks pretty good actually, this article made me laugh - http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=309409 good start to his reign! :eek:
    Ooh, someone's been a naughty boy! I was quite pleased that I understood that though, having not done french for a year now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help people! And yes I am doing an exchange next year so that should be very beneficial!!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.