Turn on thread page Beta

Students who can't cook - you can order ready meals on the internet! Affordable watch

ReputationRep:
    help me

I can't cook and I hate cooking

I've just realised there are companies out there can help. I did a google search for "ready meals online" and a few interesting ones came up. One of them is recommended by The Independent newspaper.

Restaurant quality, apparently.

Well I don't believe that but I'll give it a shot.

Is it worth buying a compact freezer for my room at uni? These ready meals could be an absolute god-send!

ReputationRep:
    link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisH)
    help me

I've just realised there are companies out there can help. I did a google search for "ready meals online" and a few interesting ones came up. One of them is recommended by The Independent newspaper.

Is it worth buying a compact freezer for my room at uni? These ready meals could be an absolute god-send!
    or you could just go to tesco and buy 5 for £3.50

its up to you i guess *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    help me

Why do you hate cooking?
    Because you can't cook ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posties)
    link?
    www.dining-made-easy.co.uk is the top google hit that is not sponsored (i.e. the company hasn't paid them)

www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com looks interesting cos their delivery is free!

some of these meals are £3 each which sounds like a lot, but you spend about that at mcdonalds or kfc and these are touted as being restaurant quality

The department store John Lewis do a Zanussi compact freezer for about £139. John Lewis do free delivery if you didn't know (for everything - really)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titi_abroad)
    Why do you hate cooking?
    Because you can't cook ?
    I can't cook. I find it boring.

Also I am very busy.

I love eating though.

ReputationRep:
    Dining-Made-Easy was recently reviewed in WOMAN magazine (July 2004 issue)
    - where it got a glowing report:

'For lazy cooks this company is a godsend. Each dish was tasty, especially the garlic prawns, while the sticky toffee pudding was an indulgence I'm desperate to have again.'
    Amanda Clifford - Woman magazine.

Review in Web User magazine (July 2004 issue 86):

'A class apart in the world of prepared meals, Dining-Made-Easy has a menu diverse and scrumptious enough to fool your other half into thinking you'd had Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay slaving away in your kitchen. It doesn't hammer your wallet, and you'll end up with serious credit.'
    Toby Earle - Web User magazine

ReputationRep:
    i love cooking but that looks FAB!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy)
    or you could just go to tesco and buy 5 for £3.50

its up to you i guess *shrugs*

5 for £3.50? You lie!

I'm in London now. They are all Tesco "Metro" or Sainsbury "central" etc. etc.

I haven't seen any good offers. sometimes I go there 30 mins before closing - they reduce the meals down from £2.99 to 99p sometimes but that's only sometimes.

Posties, let us know how you get on.

I'm off to buy a small freezer (a really ikkle one that's as high as my knees). I'll keep it in my room. My rent includes electricity, which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    come on cooking ain't that hard and doesn't have to take much time personally i hate all those ready meals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    come on cooking ain't that hard and doesn't have to take much time personally i hate all those ready meals
    I hate ready meals.

But these ones are supposedly restaurant quality. (which I think is probably just hype but I'm going to give it a shot).

It all depends how good they are. They are frozen using air and sent to your house in dry ice so it stays frozen for 24 hours.

Cooking isn't hard? I'm a bloke - I just hate cooking. I used to live with someone who cooked all the time but I've moved to a new city....

Maybe you can come and cook for me.

ReputationRep:
    5 for £3.50? You lie!

I haven't seen any good offers. sometimes I go there 30 mins before closing - they reduce the meals down from £2.99 to 99p sometimes but that's only sometimes.

I'm off to buy a small freezer (a really ikkle one that's as high as my knees). I'll keep it in my room. My rent includes electricity, which is nice.
    tesco's do great frozen deals

ice land do to.

wanna be a lil more fancy get the deals at sainsbury's

i swear tho... give it a year... or say you feel rich one day and insted of eating the frozen sweet n sour chicken you order from a chinese place... you wont wanna go back...

i find it hard to touch the things now...

ReputationRep:
    The ready meals here are not your standard ready meals, they are very very high quality (supposedly).

What you get from supermarkets is complete crap.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. Looks good
    I was thinking about buying a LIl Freezer for my Uni room, But is that kind of thing allowed? or Viable even.

ReputationRep:
    The ready meals here are not your standard ready meals, they are very very high quality (supposedly).

What you get from supermarkets is complete crap.
    It depends what you're talking about. Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' and Tesco's 'Finest' are lovely, and this is coming from someone who usually eats out once a week (when I see my dad in Edinburgh). Also, Sainsbury's Indian, Chinese and Thai stuff is, for the most part, better than your average restaurant's.

ReputationRep:
    ..and here's another idea: paper plates

The Tesco near me sell them for less than 1p each

Seriously.. not having to wash up is great

I may move to a single studio in my student apartment block... I could buy a dishwasher for the kitchen but it would need to be plumbed in... bummer.. not able to do that...

ReputationRep:
    these websites are for people who are old, incontinent or have had their electric scooters stolen.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could learn to cook and learn to use good fresh ingredients?

ReputationRep:
    5 for £3.50? You lie!

no tis true, i work theres so i see a fair few. its the frozen ones like spaghetti bologuese (sp) and chicken curry and stuff.

some offers though are limited to the larger stores so thats perhaps why you cant find them in the express ones.

ReputationRep:
    Supernoodles is all you ever need

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.