The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
In2deep
What I mean is basically is a lot of students apply to medicine each year and it's unfair if you take someone's place if you were not sure in the first place. (even though you were considered a better applicant) It might have been a better option to take a gap year.

What? What on earth are you saying?

When I applied, for the most part, I fully intended to complete the degree however after about nine months worth of studying and significant consideration, I resolutely came to the conclusion that I had no wish, desire or interest to either spend another five years finishing the degree or more significantly, any want be a doctor. In essence, what you're proposing is completely naive. A gap-year may have indeed been of some benefit for me, although in the most likelihood it would only have served to delay the process for an additional year but it is ludicrous to suggest that I should have taken it because of some distant thought that I may have later decided to leave the course.

It is not remotely 'unfair' that I left the course. In fact, I was made four offers so shove that up your ******* pipe and smoke it. Absolute ******* cretin.

In2deep
GAP YEAR? :facepalm:

If you don't want to come across as a retard, I suggest you refrain from writing such retarded comments. Good luck with getting in for medicine, boy can I see you're gonna need it. You're praying for a ******* miracle.

kthkxbai
Reply 61
Kreuzuerk

When I applied, for the most part, I fully intended to complete the degree however after about nine months worth of studying and significant consideration, I resolutely came to the conclusion that I had no wish, desire or interest to either spend another five years finishing the degree or more significantly, any want be a doctor. In essence, what you're proposing is completely naive. A gap-year may have indeed been of some benefit for me, although in the most likelihood it would only have served to delay the process for an additional year but it is ludicrous to suggest that I should have taken it because of some distant thought that I may have later decided to leave the course.

It is not remotely 'unfair' that I left the course. In fact, I was made four offers so shove that up your ******* pipe and smoke it. Absolute ******* cretin.

If you don't want to come across as a retard, I suggest you refrain from writing such retarded comments. Good luck with getting in for medicine, boy can I see you're gonna need it. You're praying for a ******* miracle.

kthkxbai

Whoa what's with the aggression? I just assumed you won't sure in the first place when you applied because you left so early. 4 offers and you went to University which offered the six year course so you must have done really well. You must have done some significant amount of work experience so what made you realise medicine wasn't for you if you don't mind me asking?
And I don't reallly think a miracle is what I need, my application is above average and I haven't recieved any rejections yet:cool:
Reply 62
Kreuzuerk

kthkxbai

haha, n1 :cool: my thoughts exactly. And the truth is, alot of people infact DONT KNOW whether any course is right for them, but it's only by doing it that you can see if its right for them.

A gap year really wont accomplish much for me, medicine is one of those things i want to do and find out if it's for me, there really isnt any way around it.

So, kreuzuerk tell me about peninsula medschool :P (im assuming thats the one you went to and dropped out of?)
Reply 63
In2deep
Whoa what's with the aggression? I just assumed you won't sure in the first place when you applied because you left so early. 4 offers and you went to University which offered the six year course so you must have done really well. You must have done some significant amount of work experience so what made you realise medicine wasn't for you if you don't mind me asking?
And I don't reallly think a miracle is what I need, my application is above average and I haven't recieved any rejections yet:cool:

What are your GCSE and AS-grades?
Reply 64
i'm no superman
why did you apply to study medicine when a) you want to do maths and b) you think its likely that you'll drop out?

By the look of your user name it seems ur a scrubs fan, Do you like the new season
Reply 65
josh_a_y
:p: I have applied to medicine, but I think Im very likely to drop out first year (if i get in) and pursue a course in maths or a maths related degree as I was first intending to do. Lets hear your views on this! Id love to see your opinions. :yep:

just do it!
Reply 66
josh_a_y
What are your GCSE and AS-grades?

I took IGCSE's and 4 A's at AS.
edit: Just saw your grades. That's amazing man! no wonder you got an unconditional offer at oxford.
Reply 67
josh_a_y

So, kreuzuerk tell me about peninsula medschool :P (im assuming thats the one you went to and dropped out of?)

lol, erm sorry, that's a lyric from a song.
Reply 68
In2deep

Don't assume. I wasn't on a six year course but probably would have done an additional Bsc.
In2deep
What I mean is basically is a lot of students apply to medicine each year and it's unfair if you take someone's place if you were not sure in the first place. (even though you were considered a better applicant) It might have been a better option to take a gap year.

Not really. It's up to the medical schools to decide who's the best people for their places.
In2deep

Complacency in medical applications is foolish.
Reply 71
Phalanges
Complacency in medical applications is foolish.

I'm being optimistic, the opposite doesn't help at all, I KNOW:biggrin: . I guess I came of a bit conceited but the truth is I believe i'll always will reach the end-point. Maybe this year I won't be successful but that won't put me off. Determination has got to count for something right:yep:
Reply 72
Jonty99
Not really. It's up to the medical schools to decide who's the best people for their places.

I know..and I pointed that out but it feels a bit unfair especially from another applicants point of view. At the end of the day, anybody could have a change of heart but going in without being sure is :confused:. Fairplay to him anyways, atleast he realised early.
In2deep
I'm being optimistic, the opposite doesn't help at all, I KNOW:biggrin: . I guess I came of a bit conceited but the truth is I believe i'll always will reach the end-point. Maybe this year I won't be successful but that won't put me off. Determination has got to count for something right:yep:

My point was that there is no real objective way for you to know how good your application is until you're quite a long way down the line.

Academics will only count for so much, chances are your PS will be the only one you've read (and besides you'll be very emotionally involved in it), and you probably won't have had too many interviews before. So at this stage I wouldn't have thought you'd know whether you were above average or not.

But from that last post you seemed a lot more mature than you initially did, so fair enough.
Reply 74
Phalanges
My point was that there is no real objective way for you to know how good your application is until you're quite a long way down the line.

Academics will only count for so much, chances are your PS will be the only one you've read (and besides you'll be very emotionally involved in it), and you probably won't have had too many interviews before. So at this stage I wouldn't have thought you'd know whether you were above average or not.

But from that last post you seemed a lot more mature than you initially did, so fair enough.

Very true, it's not uncommon for somebody to get 3 rejections but get into Oxbridge. Different universities have different definitions for "a good application", I just hope I made the right choices and I'll happily play the waiting game. I just hope I don't end up with 4 rejections at the end. How was your application process?
In2deep
Very true, it's not uncommon for somebody to get 3 rejections but get into Oxbridge. Different universities have different definitions for "a good application", I just hope I made the right choices and I'll happily play the waiting game. I just hope I don't end up with 4 rejections at the end. How was your application process?

4 offers from Oxford, Barts, Newcastle and Imperial.

There's more details of it here if you're interested: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18083966&postcount=2
Reply 76
Phalanges
4 offers from Oxford, Barts, Newcastle and Imperial.

There's more details of it here if you're interested: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18083966&postcount=2

Amazing scores on the admission tests. Do you mind telling me when you got the interviews? if you remember ofcourse, and which one did you choose?
In2deep
Amazing scores on the admission tests. Do you mind telling me when you got the interviews? if you remember ofcourse, and which one did you choose?

The Oxford one would have been this week (because that's when they interview), the Barts one was the week before, Newcastle was my first (middle of November I think), and Imperial was late Feb/early March.

I chose Oxford.

Latest