Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello all... phew this site is confusinnnn...

anyhoo... me starting an MSc in International EMployment Relations and Human Resource Management (phew thats a mouthful!) at LSE this sept... wondering if anyone out here is plannin to do the same/similar course as well?

iv checked out quite a few places and noone seems to be doin it but me!! me scared!!lol

get in tuch u all...

peace love empathy,

~K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenK)
    hello all... phew this site is confusinnnn...

anyhoo... me starting an MSc in International EMployment Relations and Human Resource Management (phew thats a mouthful!) at LSE this sept... wondering if anyone out here is plannin to do the same/similar course as well?

iv checked out quite a few places and noone seems to be doin it but me!! me scared!!lol

get in tuch u all...

peace love empathy,

~K
    I will be reading BSc Human Resources Management and Employment Relations (Industrial Relations)

What First Degree do you have? Did you find it hard to get it?

... oh, and Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    are they not the same course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joannahed)
    are they not the same course?
    Hey!

Hope you are well.

No, they are not the same course... same discipline though; one is a BSc and the other a MSci

ReputationRep:
    hello motto!!lol

thanks and congrats to you too.. I did a BSc in psychology before this.. but I took a liking towards organisational behaviour and the likes and thought this course wud suit my needs..

Psychology was pretty simple i thought - but then again that may be only coz i am generally brilliant lol.. no really it wasn't that bad.. and trust me wen i tell u hard work is not in my genes and i still made it all the way thru and on to LSE..

but i think what also helped me get thru to LSE was that i gave my GMAT and got a pretty decent score.. the tonnes of extra curricular activities i engage in and finally my amazing ability to sell myself lol..

anyhoo think will end this now.. im babbling!

btw my name is Karina.. look out for me in september

cheerz

ReputationRep:
    hi, Ali, which hall hav u got offered for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenK)
    hello motto!!lol

thanks and congrats to you too.. I did a BSc in psychology before this.. but I took a liking towards organisational behaviour and the likes and thought this course wud suit my needs..

Psychology was pretty simple i thought - but then again that may be only coz i am generally brilliant lol.. no really it wasn't that bad.. and trust me wen i tell u hard work is not in my genes and i still made it all the way thru and on to LSE..

but i think what also helped me get thru to LSE was that i gave my GMAT and got a pretty decent score.. the tonnes of extra curricular activities i engage in and finally my amazing ability to sell myself lol..

anyhoo think will end this now.. im babbling!

btw my name is Karina.. look out for me in september

cheerz
    Why hello your Majesty!

You sound nothing short of brilliant!

Hope to see you in October.

In the mean time, take care and enjoy the Summer!

Ali

Ps. I definitely want to progress onto doing a MSci in HR Management if I do well with my BSc. Although, for a change, I would want to read International HR Management at Masters' level... will also get me CIPD qualified which is important...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joannahed)
    hi, Ali, which hall hav u got offered for?
    Hey Jo (if I may call you that?)

I will be staying at Great Dover Street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellomoto)
    Why hello your Majesty!

You sound nothing short of brilliant!

Hope to see you in October.

In the mean time, take care and enjoy the Summer!

Ali

Ps. I definitely want to progress onto doing a MSci in HR Management if I do well with my BSc. Although, for a change, I would want to read International HR Management at Masters' level... will also get me CIPD qualified which is important...
    hehe thank u thank u.. but i gotta tell ya i hav this teeny weeny exaggeration bug in me

anyway on a serious note, if you wish to finish off with a cipd membership you will have to go for the MSc in HRM and not the course that I have opted for.. (at LSE anyway)... coz my course does not lead to the said membership.. altho since i am originally from india and want to progress to work in countries other than the UK.. and eventually go back home sumday, i needed the focus on international employment relations and practices more than the cipd membership you see.. hence my choice of course..!

so good luck at your course.. with my blessings behind you.. you shall surely be cracking all sorts of records.. lol..

do take care,

~Karina

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is the subject I hope to be doing if I do get to the LSE. (But Im not going until 2006) What's everyone else planning on doing with their degrees in this subject? I'm hoping for work in the Labour movement (trade unions etc).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be starting the MSc IER & HRM (much easier to say it this way) programme this oct as well! I started some of the preliminary readings as well, thought about whether I should do them or not, feel safer this way.. You get through any of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKS_04)
    Hi, I will be starting the MSc IER & HRM (much easier to say it this way) programme this oct as well! I started some of the preliminary readings as well, thought about whether I should do them or not, feel safer this way.. You get through any of them?
    Did you read "The Dynamics of Employee Relations"? It's very interesting in parts and abit of a drag in others. Though it has made me feel safer to apply for the course as it is abit of an obscure course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red_Rob)
    Did you read "The Dynamics of Employee Relations"? It's very interesting in parts and abit of a drag in others. Though it has made me feel safer to apply for the course as it is abit of an obscure course!
    I read that book; found it interesting, but like you, I also believe that it was a bit of a drag. Further, I found parts of it quite confusing/hard; maybe this is because i'm not so smart? lol

What else have you read?

I will be doing the same course as you but BSc Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management, not MSc - i'm a 'mature' student.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, havent read it, it wasnt listed on my preliminary reading list, but when I looked at the course outline its listed under there, so I'll definitely read it soon. Thanks for the suggestion. Thus far, Ive only mainly concentrated on the international and comparative books.. I figure one of the hardest parts of the course is to know the various industrial relations systems in different countries. The total amount of countries Ive covered so far amounts to around 25 countries!! Im sure I dont need to know each and every country listed, but its always good to be able to bring up various examples from different countries to make myself seem like an intellectual or something.. I dunno.. Like you Im also a bit more interested in the labour movement and industrial relations side of the course, I like the study of IR and Im planning on maybe applying for the PhD in Industrial relations at LSE for the next yr.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.