Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Philosophy (a group of theories for deciding what is right and wrong and why) any use today??

My personal view is that it is.... Philosophy is used in creating laws by which society is governed. It asks the questions such as... is this law likely to cause hapiness in the long run for more people than it causes pain.

An example of philosophy in use would be to say that the rule "it is not acceptable to kill innocent humans" is a sound rules as it provides blanket protection for most people. E.g. more people would be happy to be protected by it then those wanting to kill the people.

please post your opinions and/or answer the above poll

Thanks

Smiler

ReputationRep:
    Without abstract standards concrete realities are meaningless.
    I voted yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cattericksmiler)
    An example of philosophy in use would be to say that the rule "it is not acceptable to kill innocent humans" is a sound rules as it provides blanket protection for most people. E.g. more people would be happy to be protected by it then those wanting to kill the people.

please post your opinions and/or answer the above poll

Thanks

Smiler
    That philosophy can cause more problems than it solves as it could lead to the government outlawing all activities which might result in the deaths of innocent people (i.e. driving cars, flying in planes, eating fatty foods, etc.).

As for your question, it's impossible to know everything in the world, which means that we have no choice but to rely on our ideologies to fill those voids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    That philosophy can cause more problems than it solves as it could lead to the government outlawing all activities which might result in the deaths of innocent people (i.e. driving cars, flying in planes, eating fatty foods, etc.).
    As for your question, it's impossible to know everything in the world, which means that we have no choice but to rely on our ideologies to fill those voids.
    It's relying on ideologies, or rather identifying with ideologies, and similar false securities (religion, nationalism, status) which causes most conflicts Bizzy. Better to be a free thinker.

The philosophical search should primarily be personal, except for ethics which needs to be public, with broad concensus sought to ease social relations.

ReputationRep:
    thanks keep the ideas coming

smiler

ReputationRep:
    Hi Smiler!

I said 'yes, all the time' because with ever decision in life (no matter how big or small) has at least two different options as to why - or why not- to do something... Have I lost anyone yet?

Basically ethics and philosophy allows us to keep a check on the fast moving and advancing society we live in, there will always be people who agree and disagree until the end of time so ethics, morals, relgion and philosophy allows people to question WHY things happen or WHY they shouldn't. With out it, there would be no debate, we would live in a systematic, unquestioning, boring world without them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree 100% Dani - U ROCK!!!

smiler

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.