Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thinking about taking this in year 13 if I drop a subjects after AS. But I was wondering, what does it actually involve? I'd appreciate it if people could tell me what sort of stuff you learn. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It is about culture/morality/arts, economics/poltics, maths/science/technology. It is similar to AS but more harder. If you are following AQA, you get a pre-release material, and a module that you will need to know in french, german, or spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    It is about culture/morality/arts, economics/poltics, maths/science/technology. It is similar to AS but more harder. If you are following AQA, you get a pre-release material, and a module that you will need to know in french, german, or spanish.
    That would be the AQA A specification. The AQA B specification is a tedious waste of time and doesn't teach you anything remotely interesting like a foreign language.

ReputationRep:
    I did A2 General with AQA. I don't think i've learnt anything at all! My school doesn't have lessons for it which is fair enough really because you either know it or don't. If General Studies wasn't accepted by the uni I want to go to then I wouldn't of bothered with it.

ReputationRep:
    The ofiial line is that General studies allows students to gain an insight into subject areas that they might not otherwise approuch (such as science for students who have chosen all humanities subjects etc). It is said tobe seen by many of the top universitirs as an indicator of a students' interest beyond the classroom. At AS/A2 we follow the OCR specifications.

AS Module 1:
    Beliefs, values and moral reasoning [great for RE students]
    Aspect of Culture
    Media and Comunication [good for Media studies students]

AS Module 2: The Scientific Domain
    Characteristics of the sciences [physical, life and earth]
    Understansing of scientific methods, principles, critera and their applications
    Mathematical reasoning and its applications

AS Modukle 3
    Political systems, processes and goals
    The nature of objectivity in Social Sciences
    Ideologies and Values

A2 Unit A: The scientific and cultureal domain
    The nature of scientific objectivity
    Moral responsibility - the social, ethival and environmental implications of scientific discoveries and of technological development
    The relationship between technoligy, science,idealogy, and culture [past and/or present]

A2 Unit B: The scientific and cultureal domain sECTION 2
    Religious experience and its alternatives
    Creativity and innovatio
    Aeshetic evauluation

A2 Unit 5: The Social Domain
    Ideologies and values
    Explanation and evaluation of human behaviour
    The relationship between law, culture and ethics

A2 Unit 6: Culture, Science and Society
    Drwas on knowledge, skills and understanding gained during the rest of the course. Assessed by synoptic paper.

This is from the sheet I got from my school about GS [which is manditory].
    Hope this helps you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    That would be the AQA A specification. The AQA B specification is a tedious waste of time and doesn't teach you anything remotely interesting like a foreign language.
    My school doesn't do AQA B. What is it about and the difference?

ReputationRep:
    there's no harm in taking general studies - it can sometimes be used towards your uni entrance grades - but i would NEVER advise that you dropped a subject in order to take general studies. alot of universities won't accept it (only one out of my six offers would definitely let me use my GS grades). what do you learn about? at my school, absolutely nothing. we had a few lectures on things that bore no relation to the exams that we sat. you can learn just as much by watching the news or reading a newspaper - what's more, watching the news or reading a newspaper is optional, so you don't get forcefed information that doesn't interest you. that said, the exams are really quite funny - you honestly don't need to revise to do well (i got 100% at AS and i didn't even finish one of the papers). i'd be tempted to suggest taking the subject just for the entertainment factor - writing about stuff that you know nothing about can be an interesting exercise. in my opinion, it's a bit of a lame subject, but if you have nothing else to do, why not take it. to be honest, despite my dislike of the subject, i will be singing its praises if i've screwed up my a-levels and one of my unis relents and accepts my general studies grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    My school doesn't do AQA B. What is it about and the difference?
    In AQA B even the specification is waffle. Look it up on the AQA website if you're really interested.

ReputationRep:
    In AQA B even the specification is waffle. Look it up on the AQA website if you're really interested.
    mmmmmmm waffles................ oo err, i mean yes it is waffle lol

ReputationRep:
    Saw the specification. I also saw the past papers too, they are mostly common sense and easy to answer. I rather done AQA B instead of A though, as for spec A there is reading to.

ReputationRep:
    Most people only do General Studies because it's compulsory. If it's optional, I personally wouldn't bother as a lot of universities won't accept it, so it's a waste of valuable time that could be spent on proper subjects. Having said that, some schools don't even have lessons and it's apparently not something you can or need to revise for, so it wouldn't be a burden and it's still an extra grade. Even if universities don't accept it, they might be persuaded to take you if you miss your offer slightly but get an A in General Studies.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.