Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all, i'm just in the process of choosing my university... i've narrowed my choices to 9 and can't decide which 6 of them to pick :confused:

so far i'm firmly decided for:
    - Edinburgh (Economics and Law)
    - Glasgow (Law/Economics or Law/Business Economics :confused: )

then i really like these two universities, but then it would be quite hard to write a good PS:
    - St.Andrews (Economics and Management)
    - Dundee (Economics and European Studies)

and the rest:
    - Heriot-Watt (Economics and Business Law) ... how reputable is this uni? according to the rankings it's not v good - however, business law is more appealing to me than just Law (but then courses in scotland are flexible anyway)
    - Aberdeen (Law with Options in Economic Science)
    - Stirling (Business Law and Economics)
    - Strathclyde (i've found on their websites that they offer Economics and Business Law - however, can't fnd it on Ucas...)
    - Warwick (Law and Business Studies) - i know Warwick's business school has a great reputation, but..is it that good for law? moreover - i prefer economics to business probably

please dont tell me to have a look on the school's webpages, the student union's ones, the unofficial guides etc. - i've already done that... and still can't find those 6 most suitable ones

otheriwse any help is very much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    about 50 of you have read this thread so far...and none of you knows anything about these unis that might helop me?

ReputationRep:
    awww i'm having so much trouble deciding as well! tbh i don't really know anything about the unis you're interested in, except my mate's boyfriend goes to warkwick and is always saying how great it is! have you gone to any open days yet? good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is excellent for Law. I myself am applying, so I better be right! I don't know much about the Scottish universities.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help in terms of Economics other than to say that I understand St Andrew is a great department

Warwick is a FANTASTIC university though. It's GORGEOUS. Huge greeny campus..... vibrant buzzing student union... it's amazing. And all the sports facilities apart from the gym are free to use. And it has something like the biggest Arts centre (student cinemas, music facilities etc) of any European university.

Apply to Warwick!!

ReputationRep:
    Why would it

a) be hard to write a good PS
    b) would that specifically affect your entry to St Andrews more than other universities?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is the best out of the lot, especially for Economics, while i dont know much about Law, but id pick Warwick, St Andrews and Edinburgh, along with 3 others not on your list, unless you really want to go to Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Why would it

a) be hard to write a good PS
    b) would that specifically affect your entry to St Andrews more than other universities?

well i didn't probably express myself clearly.. i meant that writing a good PS for Economics, Law, Business, management and European studies might be quite tough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Warwick is the best out of the lot, especially for Economics, while i dont know much about Law, but id pick Warwick, St Andrews and Edinburgh, along with 3 others not on your list, unless you really want to go to Scotland.
    yeah i'm quite keen on going to scotland - the tuition fees are cheaper for me, then the course seem more flexible and most importantly, none of english unis (which appeal to me) offer Economics and Law or something similar (apart from Warwick)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    well i didn't probably express myself clearly.. i meant that writing a good PS for Economics, Law, Business, management and European studies might be quite tough...
    Go with economics then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Go with economics then.

no i dno't wanna do straight economics - i prefer a joint course... and although law would give me maybe the best career prospects, all of those seem interesting to me

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that you don't need a law degree to be a lawyer. You could, for example, study Economics and Management at university and do the CPE (i.e. the law conversion course) once you graduate.

Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    hi all, i'm just in the process of choosing my university... i've narrowed my choices to 9 and can't decide which 6 of them to pick :confused:

so far i'm firmly decided for:
    - Edinburgh (Economics and Law)
    - Glasgow (Law/Economics or Law/Business Economics :confused: )

then i really like these two universities, but then it would be quite hard to write a good PS:
    - St.Andrews (Economics and Management)
    - Dundee (Economics and European Studies)

and the rest:
    - Heriot-Watt (Economics and Business Law) ... how reputable is this uni? according to the rankings it's not v good - however, business law is more appealing to me than just Law (but then courses in scotland are flexible anyway)
    - Aberdeen (Law with Options in Economic Science)
    - Stirling (Business Law and Economics)
    - Strathclyde (i've found on their websites that they offer Economics and Business Law - however, can't fnd it on Ucas...)
    - Warwick (Law and Business Studies) - i know Warwick's business school has a great reputation, but..is it that good for law? moreover - i prefer economics to business probably

please dont tell me to have a look on the school's webpages, the student union's ones, the unofficial guides etc. - i've already done that... and still can't find those 6 most suitable ones

otheriwse any help is very much appreciated
    Sorry don't know much about your subject, however, my friend is at Heriot Watt doing business studies and he loves it! Also, im going to Edinburgh uni (to do Eng Lit) and it is a really good uni and a nice place (altho i'm biased 'cause i live just outside Edinburgh )!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I can't help in terms of Economics other than to say that I understand St Andrew is a great department

Warwick is a FANTASTIC university though. It's GORGEOUS. Huge greeny campus..... vibrant buzzing student union... it's amazing. And all the sports facilities apart from the gym are free to use. And it has something like the biggest Arts centre (student cinemas, music facilities etc) of any European university.

Apply to Warwick!!
    Warwick is pretty dead, to be honest, unless you fancy spending three years talking to no one but students.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about Scottish universities, but if after reading all the prospectuses and looking at all the websites, you still can't decide, all I can suggest is that you get some honest opinions from people on TSR and other sites like www.realuni.com and try to visit as many of the universities as you can on open days. I know what you mean though- I also have 9 and am trying to narrow them down to 6! Good luck choosing!

Oh, and as for the personal statement, all the subjects you mentioned seem quite similar except for European Studies, so it shouldn't be too difficult to link them in. Focus primarily on law and economics if they're your main subjects, then talk about how economics has got you interested in business management or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the posts (keep them going please )... i know that the open days would perhaps solve my problem, but i'm nearly sure i won't be able to attend any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    thanks for the posts (keep them going please )... i know that the open days would perhaps solve my problem, but i'm nearly sure i won't be able to attend any
    i'm in the same position as you, but it is important to try to visit your choices at least once, to get a real feel for the place and ask youself, "could i see myself living lhere for 3years?"

ReputationRep:
    You've got a real range of unis there....

Warwick is brilliant, except the fools rejected me. Edinburgh and St Andrews are very good too. But some of the unis on your list are not that great. Try and look outside Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    i'm in the same position as you, but it is important to try to visit your choices at least once, to get a real feel for the place and ask youself, "could i see myself living lhere for 3years?"

i'd love if i could but it's too far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    You've got a real range of unis there....

Warwick is brilliant, except the fools rejected me. Edinburgh and St Andrews are very good too. But some of the unis on your list are not that great. Try and look outside Scotland.

there is not a wide range of english unis doing something similar to economics and law just places like Brunel or Bradford

however, i have a solution (maybe) - unless i get an offer from Edinburgh, St.Andrews, Glasgow (my french teacher did her masters there and keeps saying how great the uni is), Dundee (i like the course and the uni looks friendly) or Warwick, i'll work really hard for my IB and then re-apply..

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.