Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to purchase my first car, i have been driving the rents cars for 5 years (22 now...) and wondered what a good first car is... i like a clio 1.4 sport... i have a job lined up and a budget of £5000,

also what insurance do you guys use? who with?!?!?! i need to find a cheaper one!! i have a £591 offer whichc is a bbit high!! i have no No Claims Bonus!!

any thoughts comments or opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I don't drive yet but when I do next year I'm getting my dad's BMW :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    Have fun finding decent insurance for that

ReputationRep:
    i've got a renault clio, except it's a 1.2 regular one. the clio sport looks very nice (the newer version of the clio which has different shaped headlights started to come about half way through 2001).

the sport series models have bumpers and everything else painted in the same colour as the body of the car, it's a bit lower and has big alloys (and maybe a double exhaust thingy) and looks wicked. but certain normal clios can be quite sporty, and you should be able to get a modernstyle one for £5000 or less. the basic models (from the time period you'd be buying) are authentique then expression (i've got this one). and then they start to get very nice. the dynamique is the next model up and it has air con + alloys, foglights and nicer seats and interior. if you can find one of these between 3-4 years old, it would be quite a cool car.

actually, i just remembered that the proper sport series only has engines of 2.0 or 3.0 (for the really high end one). so it probably is one of the dynamique models (or perhaps one slightly above) that you're talking about. my expression is nice enough but i really would have loved to get the model up - it looks v v nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    Have fun finding decent insurance for that
    my dad will pay, so its ok

ReputationRep:
    Lucky blit.... i wish my parents would do the same, pay my insurance...

ReputationRep:
    Its not as rewarding if its not your car, your insurance etc. And you'll worry about damaging it alot more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Its not as rewarding if its not your car, your insurance etc. And you'll worry about damaging it alot more
    But it still is YOUR car though.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we were rich.. i would have a bmw for a car if i had the chance

ReputationRep:
    we have a modded black 2 litre focus and as we live in london the insurance is £2000!

ReputationRep:
    Is that per month or per year?

ReputationRep:
    a year lol, hope that question was directed at me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was, is that high or not ?

ReputationRep:
    £591 isn't too bad at all.

Have you tried morethan if you've been driving someone elses car without claims they give you the equivalent of ncb.
    Also Liverpool victoria
    tesco (but watch the excess)
    Norwich union

are all worth giving a bell.

ReputationRep:
    Errrm, i'm gonna be driving a Fiesta Si, 1.6, but my mums gonna insure it n i'll be a named driver, but i'll pay.

I'm doing it this way, because i want a powerful car lol, my boyfriend did it this way, and when i have a full time job i'll get a different car, own insurance etc.

The insurance this way works out at £40 something for both of us, a month, not bad i don't think

I know i won't carry a NCB or anything, but its either do it like this, or wait till i have a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    pfftt french...a french car..yuk :eek:

mm only joking, I drive a 99' mitsubishi colt cj 1.3. Its the best looking lil budget 3 door ever, and its japanese so no worries on reliablity. The 1.3 is a group 5 on insurance the 1.6 is a group 6. I really really recommend it to everyone. We also have a great owners club where you can get any help on any issue, as there are a few mitsubishi mechanics on the forum.
    Id say always buy jap. you cant really fault them. my dad had his civic 7 years and hasnt broken down even once.
    japs cars rock..wohooo

ReputationRep:
    *glares at keano's avatar suspiciously, and now everything keano said makes sense*

ReputationRep:
    oii thats there to protest the burberrynesslesnes of people...
    mmmm..I thought barryboys only drove fiestas, corsa's and nova's?? as they dont know any other model...

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I drive a Y reg peugeot 206, which is a really sweet little car. with the no claims bonus thing try getting your parents to be the first driver, and then u jsut as a named driver- its much cheaper. also try calling up, cause we did that with direct line and they gave us 2 years no claim bonus.

i got my car at an auction for around £4000. but they also have newer cars for higher budgets. auctions are really good for getting deals on ex-lease cars too.

hope thats some help.
    Karen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    spoilt brat! :eek:
    ill be driving my mums merc very soon

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.