• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What's the easiest way of taking notes?

During A-level, I developed a heierachical structure like this:

*Note 1
    +sub-note 1
    - sub-sub-note 1

But it takes forever, and isn't suited to my learning style (visual/kinaesthetic). And I found it got very untidy very quickly when teachers rambled off subject, and didn't tackle it in an orderly manner, or when they gabbled too fast.

Any tips, with examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Ana)
    What's the easiest way of taking notes?

During A-level, I developed a heierachical structure like this:

*Note 1
    +sub-note 1
    - sub-sub-note 1

But it takes forever, and isn't suited to my learning style (visual/kinaesthetic). And I found it got very untidy very quickly when teachers rambled off subject, and didn't tackle it in an orderly manner, or when they gabbled too fast.

Any tips, with examples?
    I dont have any conscious method. I have just developed my own note-taking style with abbreviations and so on. As long as its coherent Im not sure how much visual/kinaesthetic notes will help much more, not to mention its going to be hard doodling diagrams while keeping up with a lecture.

You might find it useful to make ordinary notes and then later transfer them into a more visually appealing form while they are still fresh in your head - that way you cant lose. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    having abbreviations for common words is essential, it gives you more time to listen. Note taking style is often influenced by how structured your lectures are, for instance you will probably have different styles for different lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    I dont have any conscious method. I have just developed my own note-taking style with abbreviations and so on. As long as its coherent Im not sure how much visual/kinaesthetic notes will help much more, not to mention its going to be hard doodling diagrams while keeping up with a lecture.

You might find it useful to make ordinary notes and then later transfer them into a more visually appealing form while they are still fresh in your head - that way you cant lose. Just a thought.
    If you get lecture notes then you can just annotate them. I find this is the best way because it is quick and it means I do actually get to see my notes when I revise. I have tried adopting the "copious notes" style but it isn't very effective because I never have time to go back to them - you just end up with twice as much to revise.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.