Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today, it was announced the capital - London, would hold the 2012 Olympics. What will it bring us? Will this change me good or bad? I think its great news for our country.

ReputationRep:
    I actually feel quite sorry for Paris. It's not like they did anything wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Great! Victory for London. Now we have to concentrate on making it a success, an Olympic Games that will be remembered for years to come as an example of a model Olympic Games.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the prices will go up but there will be sooo many positive things for London from this year and way after 2012. The best thing that has happened for ages!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully East Lodon will benefit from it which to me was the main selling point.

ReputationRep:
    A waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh. thanks god i am leaving east london next year to my boarding school and then uni, so I wont experience the significant increase in prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    A waste of money.
    Don't be so pessimistic. You're from London...you should be proud of what we have acheived (well what the Olympics Committee have acheived)...East London has got a long needed regeneration anddddd the Olympics are coming to Londonnn w00t be happy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad the bill is bieng sent to the people whose back yards it'll be in, not everyone elses.

I hope it'll be a sucess. I suspect the British press & people will do nothing but ridicule it as a waste of money and a disaster, yet it'll actually be better than any other in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    ahhh. thanks god i am leaving east london next year to my boarding school and then uni, so I wont experience the significant increase in prices.
    Where in East London do you live? I live there too...

ReputationRep:
    No need for the Olympics to "regenerate" the East End. All that means is putting house prices even more absurdly high. Spending money on sports would be a good idea if it were spent on basic local sports and sports centres. Encouraging ordinary people to take exercise for fun and health would be a good thing. What London needs is the restoration of school and local sports grounds which have been sold off over the last few years, not a high-tech site for professional drug users to see whose chemist is best.

ReputationRep:
    And i was going to say congratulations to al you londoners. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for not doing so.

ReputationRep:
    yes it'll cost billions...but it'll recoup many more billions in 2012.

plus all the hidden benefits like world class sporting arena's all over the UK, because in reality the events arent just being staged in london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    Where in East London do you live? I live there too...
    dagenham.u?

ReputationRep:
    I think its great, Its subsequent effect of more and better sport facilites will benefit the country in the long run past the olympics. It also focuses on bringing youth into the sports pixture which is a positive step towards a more active genenration.

I would feel sorry for the french.. But I dont. Its was there fault in many parts, They beleived they were favourites and did a fairly low key approach, wheras the UK really stepped up its efforts in the lasxt few weeks that the council said really influenced there voting. Besides Chirac said our food was awful, Im to patriotic to let that pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    I think its great, Its subsequent effect of more and better sport facilites will benefit the country in the long run past the olympics. It also focuses on bringing youth into the sports pixture which is a positive step towards a more active genenration.

I would feel sorry for the french.. But I dont. Its was there fault in many parts, They beleived they were favourites and did a fairly low key approach, wheras the UK really stepped up its efforts in the lasxt few weeks that the council said really influenced there voting. Besides Chirac said our food was awful, Im to patriotic to let that pass.
    French arrogance and big-head(ness) just amazes me.

ReputationRep:
    Up yours France perhaps you should be kinder about Finnish food next time there is an international vote. I'm really pleased that London got it, it's a matter of national pride. Though it may cause tension in Gleneagles...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    No need for the Olympics to "regenerate" the East End. All that means is putting house prices even more absurdly high. Spending money on sports would be a good idea if it were spent on basic local sports and sports centres. Encouraging ordinary people to take exercise for fun and health would be a good thing. What London needs is the restoration of school and local sports grounds which have been sold off over the last few years, not a high-tech site for professional drug users to see whose chemist is best.
    All hail chief cynic.

It will create 9000 new homes, build a new stadium, aquacentre, hockey centre and velodrome and many thousands of jobs. There is no doubt it will benefit East London.
    I would also suggest having the Olympics in the UK will spur people on to do sports more than any other single event.

ReputationRep:
    it will help to fight the obesity problem in this country as well.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.