Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If it hadn't been for Chirac's arsey comment the other day, i think Paris would have just won that. Thanks Jacques!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BK)
    If it hadn't been for Chirac's arsey comment the other day, i think Paris would have just won that. Thanks Jacques!
    My thoughts exactly, although I'm sure Coe had some small input.

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah, we rule.

... now I await the cynics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Hurrah, we rule.

... now I await the cynics.
    Have you seen the French press? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Great news for this country i would say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Have you seen the French press? :eek:
    no... what do they think about all this then? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    yes it'll cost billions...but it'll recoup many more billions in 2012.

plus all the hidden benefits like world class sporting arena's all over the UK, because in reality the events arent just being staged in london.
    Actually, I read that all of the Olympic games in recent years have cost more than they have brought in. At best, it could increase tourism after people see London when watching the Olympics on television, which could recoup expenses over the following years.

ReputationRep:
    i am really pleased that we beat paris, but isn't this an opportunity for terrorism???

ReputationRep:
    Its amazing that the Olympics will be in London!! It'll do so much for the country, i hope it all goes well! Cant wait to see them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    i am really pleased that we beat paris, but isn't this an opportunity for terrorism???
    And tourism. You can decide which is the worse of the two.

(Original post by homoterror)
    I actually feel quite sorry for Paris. It's not like they did anything wrong!
    France...no...Chriac though...
    I mean Finland must have been sniggering to themselves as they delivered votes in Britains favour after those snobbish comments.
    where blair went to singapore to meet and greet starting sunday then left to open the G8, Chirac simply went to the presentation and was late to G8 because he was waiting for the results to be announced. Bet he got the shock of his life, was expecting to be able to stand smug a hell as paris were awarded them and instead, arrives late to G8 with a failure in his pocket
    muhahahha

(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    if we pack up sticks because of terrorists then they have already won.
    terrorists were attacking/trying to attack the olympics many years before 9/11 remember. remember germany..?

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    And tourism. You can decide which is the worse of the two.
    im chuffed as because even if they dont maintain it permanently, they are still going to have to sort out some of the issues in london that they have been delaying for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    My thoughts exactly, although I'm sure Coe had some small input.
    I have to say it looks like Blair did the business here. The French mayor calls it unsporting, but as a British guest on French news made clear, its not over until the decision has been made, and French complacency and possibly naivety, cost them dear...again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra010588)
    Its amazing that the Olympics will be in London!! It'll do so much for the country...

Will it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    im chuffed as because even if they dont maintain it permanently, they are still going to have to sort out some of the issues in london that they have been delaying for years
    That is true that it could serve as an impetus for positive change. Still, I would worry that it may create as many new problems as it solves old ones.

ReputationRep:
    Its great for London, So much is going to change/improve!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they didn't make as much money as they spent on the Athens Olympics, but in the long run it will do Athens a lot of good that they had the Olympics, just like it will do London a lot of good. Although the problems in Greece were worse of course... like, they now have a new, great airport, a nice new motorway system, nice new tube stations and trains, much improved public transport - oh and the stadiums, how could I forget them...
    I mean, seriously, it's not just stadiums that will be built, London will try its hardest to make transport better for example and will be giving the money to do so. That in turn will be a huge benefit in the long run, not only the tourism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    I'm sure they didn't make as much money as they spent on the Athens Olympics, but in the long run it will do Athens a lot of good that they had the Olympics, just like it will do London a lot of good. Although the problems in Greece were worse of course... like, they now have a new, great airport, a nice new motorway system, nice new tube stations and trains, much improved public transport - oh and the stadiums, how could I forget them...
    I mean, seriously, it's not just stadiums that will be built, London will try its hardest to make transport better for example and will be giving the money to do so. That in turn will be a huge benefit in the long run, not only the tourism.
    Ofcourse! Stratford is going to have an international station I heard, thats gonna link with the Eurostar. Links all around London are going to be improved.
    Its not just that, events are going to take place all around the UK, eg sailing events in Portsmouth, Football at Cardiff etc, so its not just London thats going to improve.
    Also Olympic teams from all around the world will be based in certain parts of the UK, so training facilities everywhere will be improved.
    Great for the future, great for London, great for the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I was so shocked/delighted to hear the news. I failed my first driving test half an hour later, but getting the Olympics a few miles away from where I live was a slight sweetener!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.