Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello all
    was any1 17 when they applied to university , and was 18 after a couple of months
    i wil apply for 2006 - i wil b 17 but 18 in december
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well... the majority of us are 17 when we apply for University
    I'm assuming if you don't know that you're not from the UK so forgive me if tis sounds patronising
    But we apply between September and January of Year 13.
    Since students start Year 13 aged 17, less than a third (i.e. the ones who have their birthday before January)will be 18 when they actually apply

ReputationRep:
    My birthday's mid september so i'll be 18 before i've probably even sent my application off and 19 when i start uni! That's not young to apply though, some people in out year could even still be 16 and not 17 until august!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean you'll be 17 when you start uni, or you'll be 17 when you apply? Most people are 17 when they apply, so no problem there, but some universities don't accept under-18s, so if you mean you'll be 17 when you start, you'll need to check that out.

ReputationRep:
    I was 16 when I applied and recieved all my offers.

I'll be 17 for the first 5 months of Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Same here, Davie Moyes.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities don't accept under 18s, and some do, but won't let them live in halls. At Bristol you have to be over 18 to live in university accommodation.

You should definitely check all this out before you apply. Personally I would recommend taking a gap year though, so that you are 18 when you start. If you have trouble getting into pubs and clubs during your first term and no one else is in your situation you could end up being a bit isolated.

ReputationRep:
    hey i started uni when i was 17 and turned 18 in december
    its pretty cool actually, didnt have problems with anything tho cos everyone thought i was 18... or at least the uni clubs did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Some universities don't accept under 18s, and some do, but won't let them live in halls. At Bristol you have to be over 18 to live in university accommodation.

You should definitely check all this out before you apply. Personally I would recommend taking a gap year though, so that you are 18 when you start. If you have trouble getting into pubs and clubs during your first term and no one else is in your situation you could end up being a bit isolated.
    pubs and clubs arent much of a problem, my uni id didnt have my DOB on it so i used it to get into clubs outside the uni.
    and within the uni i could get in anywhere i wanted, they hadnt marked my nus card or uni id indicating i was under 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horus2003)
    hello all
    was any1 17 when they applied to university , and was 18 after a couple of months
    i wil apply for 2006 - i wil b 17 but 18 in december
    thanks
    I applied when I'm 17, and turned 18 in november.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jandarini)
    Same here, Davie Moyes.
    I was similar - turned 18 in the January after I started uni.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    pubs and clubs arent much of a problem, my uni id didnt have my DOB on it so i used it to get into clubs outside the uni.
    and within the uni i could get in anywhere i wanted, they hadnt marked my nus card or uni id indicating i was under 18.
    I hope my uni is like that.

I was 16 when I applied, and I'll be 17 until the end of my first year.

ReputationRep:
    Wow i really dont understand how that works!

Completely baffled! lol

I thought year 13s ALL turned 18 by September 1st i.e. Before they started uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mR_CaRL)
    Wow i really dont understand how that works!

Completely baffled! lol

I thought year 13s ALL turned 18 by September 1st i.e. Before they started uni
    That's true for the majority, but some people do GCSEs and then A-levels a year early, so they'd only be 17 when they started uni.

ReputationRep:
    Plus some Scottish people come to uni earlier than us.

ReputationRep:
    And there are always bright smartarses who move up a year!

I was going to start uni when I was 17, but took a gap year, and now everyone's my age! Being underage at uni is not a problem when going out, as someone mentioned above - student IDs don't show age, and most people at the union just assume you're a young looking fresher (potential target? :p: )

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.