The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And if the South is soooo great why is it that every other hen night/stag party is a trip to Newcastle nowadays? Cos we have the better nightlife...
Reply 81
My accent is regularly compared to Vincent Price's. :wink:
Reply 82
BK
*cough*

"Yorkshire’s economy enjoyed the strongest growth of all UK regions in 2004 with employment growth also the strongest in the country.

The regional economy grew by 4.4%.in 2004 which was well ahead of the national average of 3.1%. Total employment is expected to also have outstripped national trends, growing by 2%, against a national average of 0.6%.

Office rents in Yorkshire rose by 2%.whilst nationally there was an overall fall of 1.8% (reflecting the continuing poor performance of office markets in London and the South East). Industrial rents grew by 2.1% p.a., which was in line with the national average."

State handouts my arse.

*dismisses argument, hits rammy over the head with the Yorkshire post*

ah, but how big is your dundah?? :biggrin:

*may require understandings of Goodness Gracious Me
Reply 83
foxo
My accent is regularly compared to Vincent Price's. :wink:

that is coz scottish accents rule :wink:
BK
hehe, i don't say many northern things, we're a posh northern family :rolleyes:

I do say "t'" instead of "the" sometimes though :p:
E.g. "I'm going ter shop"

My family is an odd mix - my Mum is very similar to me - she grew upo in the "posh" bit of Newcastle, and my Dad is a mixture or Scottish and Yorkshire. I think most of my accent comes from just living round here really, it's hard to avoid picking things up.
Lets be honest, the vast majority of southeners are Lower middle class, and like to think of themselves as posh, but in reality, we all know that Yorkshire is the greatest county in England, with the greatest people.
Who can disagree? One word- Parkinson.

You keep Croydon, we'll keep Harrogate, i like that deal. :p:

*remembers he has a partner in London, and is going to uni in London... shuts up*
Reply 86
i think liverpool has got the best of both worlds. damn northerners and slabs of concrete. erm. ok maybe the worst then.
A critical analysis of Yorkshire:

"Yorkshire is your open door to so many different experiences. It’s big and boundless, a mix of magnetic landscapes, seductive seascapes and vibrant cities that change by the minute and the mile."

As Britain's biggest county, Yorkshire has more historic houses, castles and national parkland than anywhere else, along with the best shopping in the North.

The unrivalled quality of life in Yorkshire and Humber is founded on this combination of cosmopolitan urban areas surrounded by beautiful countryside. With no less that three national parks on the doorstep of a thriving commercial landscape, this is a region where work and life really can be kept in balance."

:flute:

hehe i'll shut up now, but i dislike people who disrespect my home county.
Reply 88
a posher one would b better, especially in job interviews etc, especially as lots of people dont like a scouse accent but u shouldnt put on an accent but...you know...if u have to...choose posh!
Reply 89
I think posh is the way forward. But my sister says I sound like a snob and started insulting me (of course she sounds like a dumb scally). Scouse sounds more down to earth. I feel so out of place and self conscious when I talk posh in liverpool. But when I talk scouse in cambridge I feel thick (even though I'm at cambridge!!!). maybe I'll stick to scouse.

would i really be discriminated against if i had a scouse accent even if i had a double first from cambridge?
technik
the female version of my accent is bound to win you friends. even though it sounds crappy it's popular

i love your voice.
Reply 91
Lauren
I think posh is the way forward. But my sister says I sound like a snob and started insulting me (of course she sounds like a dumb scally). Scouse sounds more down to earth. I feel so out of place and self conscious when I talk posh in liverpool. But when I talk scouse in cambridge I feel thick (even though I'm at cambridge!!!). maybe I'll stick to scouse.

would i really be discriminated against if i had a scouse accent even if i had a double first from cambridge?

yes you would, that is life i am afraid, you could always get an accent coach to get the inferior accent removed (whichever that may be :wink: )

TECHNIK looks like you have a fan (ant93)
Southerners are all pussies who complain about the cold if they are North of Nottingham, Scousers/Mancs are thieves, Yorkshiremen are grumpy gits, Scotsmen wear skirts, the Welsh do unmentionable things to farm animals and all the rest are farmers. I guess that just leaves Geordies - obviously we're the best!! :smile:
Geordie_in_HK
Southerners are all pussies who complain about the cold if they are North of Nottingham

No, North of Watford is all cold and Northern and rubbish.
have fun in edinburgh
Will do!

Remember, I can wear scarves like a real Londoner.
well the camb accent is probably going to serve you well in academic circles but for a night out on the town in liverpool or somewhere they'll be like "posh git" so probably alternating the camb/scouse accent to your advantage would be the best thing to do
Geordie_in_HK
Scousers are thieves,

Whatever!!! It really annoys me when people say this. Where ever you go you will always get one or two thieves not just Liverpool!
ah come on you've got to love stereotypes.....

everyone says Geordies are drunk football hooligans!
Reply 99
when i came into this country I had an american accent.. honestly, becuase thats the english we are taught. When I came into this country, I had a hard time adjusting my english (cuz i found out american accent here is a no no) and so i blended quite well, and then i moved on to scotland for a brief time.. and yeah i did try to get scots accent and finally notts.. accent is not that defined here.. (i think) and i am trying to suit myself again. Oh boy, i really do fluctuate accents a lot, especially it depends on who im talking with... i think people might find that rather odd

Latest

Trending

Trending