Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Over the last few months I've read ~5 books and could not write what they're about, I need to be able to write about them in my personal statement for Universities but cannot remember the content.

I'll have to re-read the important ones but am looking for tips as to how I can retain the information I read, I'll probably make little notes and references as so I can remember them at a later date but can anybody suggest any more tips?

Thanks in Advance
    Tom

ReputationRep:
    I dunno how much is in these books but when I was trying to memorise books for Politics exam I recited the passages out loud to myself 2 or 3 times. And would do this again and again on different days. It stuck pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Are they fiction or fact?

ReputationRep:
    Its often very much easier to remember the book rather than writing it down, skim through the book and you will pick up important info..

ReputationRep:
    Read everything thoroughly. If you don't understand something, read it again and again until you do. Make notes for each chapter to help remind yourself...Always worked for me

ReputationRep:
    It's a set of factual books, they're Maths books, not textbooks, rather closer to novels.

ReputationRep:
    try and picture the relationship between characters/ideas in your head as diagrams.
    Well, it works for me...

ReputationRep:
    Notes then... only pick out the bits which interest you, as it's conceivable that they'll ask you about what you mentioned in interview. Also, be aware that they might ask you what else you enjoyed about the book, so don't put ALL the interesting bits in.

Try reading reviews of them too, if you can find any, and note down the authors. They'll give you a different set of views on the views and you can then put clever little bits in like: "X argues that this book shows Y, but from my point of view it actually shows Z"

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Just have a box ofo note cards, and for each book write a brief character summary and a synopsis of the book, then you've got easy reference when you want to jog your memory.

ReputationRep:
    With me i prefer reading things over and over again and out loud, so that they stick in my head. And also make chapter notes and read them.

ReputationRep:
    Yuo have to love the books and its contents.

ReputationRep:
    u have to love the books first. it's like watcing movies, or listening to a song, if you feel the interest in it, i am sure you will never forget it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.