Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone going saturday??? i'm quite apprehensive but at the same time excited... my first open day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    anyone going saturday??? i'm quite apprehensive but at the same time excited... my first open day!
    Hey! I used to study at Kent so let me know if you have any questions... (PM is best). Overall, Kent is a really nice university - campus is lovely and the people are really friendly, there is a real community atmosphere on campus. As for the academic side, I can't really comment on anything apart from the Computing department, but I have a number of friends on different courses so will do my best to help if I can....

ReputationRep:
    thanks! i know there's loads of questions i want to ask but i reckon they'r just gonna slip out at various points!

ReputationRep:
    well i've just come bck from the open day and all i can say is oh my god! it is truly amazing, so long as i get my B in english anyway, this was only my first open day, so i'll just have to keep a diary of today! i'm trying to work out the accomodation costs atm, but am a bit worried about the bedrooms that were in the eliot college.. they were just off the corridors, so assume could be quite noisy. can anyone clear this up for me???

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Kent is really nice, i have a few friends with firm offers from there as well as loads of people who have Kent as their insurance

ReputationRep:
    cool! i really love it, but i suppose i am being slightly biased-its my first open day n'all!

ReputationRep:
    i know a guy who goes to kent - he's studying computer programming or something similar. he seems to think kent is brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    i had a look round kent earlier in the yr i liked it enough to put it as my insurance. I thought the accomodation looked quite nice but i saw keynes college and some other accomodation which was a bit out the way!!

ReputationRep:
    cool! i really love it, but i suppose i am being slightly biased-its my first open day n'all!
    All the Uni's i visited i liked...it ended up being a difficult decision choosing only 6! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandni)
    i had a look round kent earlier in the yr i liked it enough to put it as my insurance. I thought the accomodation looked quite nice but i saw keynes college and some other accomodation which was a bit out the way!!
    what one was keynes college? there was one which really was not what i expected... it was in one of the actual colleges and it was really dark and chlaustrophobic! it was scattered around that college

ReputationRep:
    well i've just come bck from the open day and all i can say is oh my god! it is truly amazing, so long as i get my B in english anyway, this was only my first open day, so i'll just have to keep a diary of today! i'm trying to work out the accomodation costs atm, but am a bit worried about the bedrooms that were in the eliot college.. they were just off the corridors, so assume could be quite noisy. can anyone clear this up for me???
    Eliot isn't noisy at all really....you won't spend much time in your room during the day anyway and that's the only time it could get a little noisy with people going to lectures etc. Eliot has Mungo's bar which is the best place to go on a friday night (they call it Magic Mungo's - cheesy music mainly). I'd say living in the halls on campus is most social (and convenient). In my opinion, Eliot and Keynes are the best halls to live in...Rutherford and Darwin always seemed a bit gloomy! I lived in Park Wood (the student village at the edge of campus) and it was good fun, but sometimes a bit isolated, and you have to walk a bit further to lectures in the morning.

The nicest accommodation by far is Tyler Court but you pay for it; I think the rent is something crazy like 91 quid per week! Also, Kent doesn't offer catered accommodation in halls - it's basically bed and breakfast. You only get money off your dinner if you don't have breakfast in the morning. There are no 'proper' kitchen facilities in halls apart from a sink, microwave, kettle and tiny fridge. Self catered accommodation (Park Wood, Tyler Court, Darwin Houses) has full kitchen facilities - 2 large fridge/freezers, sink, cooker + grill, kettle and adequate storage space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    Eliot isn't noisy at all really....you won't spend much time in your room during the day anyway and that's the only time it could get a little noisy with people going to lectures etc. Eliot has Mungo's bar which is the best place to go on a friday night (they call it Magic Mungo's - cheesy music mainly). I'd say living in the halls on campus is most social (and convenient). In my opinion, Eliot and Keynes are the best halls to live in...Rutherford and Darwin always seemed a bit gloomy! I lived in Park Wood (the student village at the edge of campus) and it was good fun, but sometimes a bit isolated, and you have to walk a bit further to lectures in the morning.

The nicest accommodation by far is Tyler Court but you pay for it; I think the rent is something crazy like 91 quid per week! Also, Kent doesn't offer catered accommodation in halls - it's basically bed and breakfast. You only get money off your dinner if you don't have breakfast in the morning. There are no 'proper' kitchen facilities in halls apart from a sink, microwave, kettle and tiny fridge. Self catered accommodation (Park Wood, Tyler Court, Darwin Houses) has full kitchen facilities - 2 large fridge/freezers, sink, cooker + grill, kettle and adequate storage space.

tyler court was amazing!!!! i'm so jealous, my cousin has applied for there but then again, she doesn't have to pay for it, she gets it from her parents. didn't go over to park wood, because i don't know if i'd like to be that far away. which was da\rwin? is that where the lecturers stay???

ReputationRep:
    tyler court was amazing!!!! i'm so jealous, my cousin has applied for there but then again, she doesn't have to pay for it, she gets it from her parents. didn't go over to park wood, because i don't know if i'd like to be that far away. which was da\rwin? is that where the lecturers stay???
    Darwin is the college right at the edge of campus (opposite end to The Venue (nightclub)...a bit further than Rutherford and fairly near to Tyler Court. I don't know anything about lecturers staying there though!! Darwin's bar is called Origins and it's the best place to eat on campus...food is mainly mexican and fairly priced.

ReputationRep:
    i went, and hopefully thats where im gonna go. I dont think i could stant to stay in Eilot though as its too chlostrophobic for me, so hopefully il stay in Tyler court! My parents said they would pay the different between the cheapest and Tyler Court so i guess its all good!

I got lost though when i had to go to the business school i followed the signs yet it led me elsewhere? lol The library is VERY big! Oh and I went to Mungo's bar for a drink! lol very green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Crush)
    i went, and hopefully thats where im gonna go. I dont think i could stant to stay in Eilot though as its too chlostrophobic for me, so hopefully il stay in Tyler court! My parents said they would pay the different between the cheapest and Tyler Court so i guess its all good!

I got lost though when i had to go to the business school i followed the signs yet it led me elsewhere? lol The library is VERY big! Oh and I went to Mungo's bar for a drink! lol very green
    Hehe, Kent Business School is on the way to the student village (Park Wood). It's really easy to get to once you know your way around...only about 5 mins walk from the centre of campus.

ReputationRep:
    yeh tyler court was the accomodation i liked lol i 4got what is was called yesterday...i really wouldn't mind ending up there!! I was so keen on the college accomodation as i wouldn't know how to cook without proper equiptment and stuff!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Crush)

i know what you mean about eliot-plus it smelt funny, but maybe that's just me didn't actually go into the library but its definitely the biggest library i've ever seen!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.