which STEP paper should I do? Watch

ajay_ganger
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For my Warwick offer i am not sure what STEP paper to do. I would like to do AEA as i have heard they are easier. but i also want to do 1 or 2 STEP papers, if i do AEA should i 4get doing STEP 1?
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do STEP I and AEA - that's what most people do. Every year I've seen people complain that they regret having done just one and not the other.

You can do STEP II as well but they put the AEA and STEP II on the same day which can be tiring. STEP II + III would be another option, but only go for it if you're confident you can get at least a merit in the AEA.

(STEP I + III is not an option)
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless you're very confident about STEP (or absolutely hate the AEA), I agree with Swayum: do STEP I and the AEA. It maximizes your chances.

FWIW, I'd much rather do STEP than the AEA, so don't take it for granted you will prefer the AEA.
matt2k8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Do STEP I and AEA - that's what most people do. Every year I've seen people complain that they regret having done just one and not the other.

You can do STEP II as well but they put the AEA and STEP II on the same day which can be tiring. STEP II + III would be another option, but only go for it if you're confident you can get at least a merit in the AEA.

II and the AEA are on seperate days this year, so it's possible to do I (or III), II and the AEA without any clashes

I reccomend doing STEP I, II and the AEA - I personally prefer doing STEP but am more confident of getting a good mark in the AEA than in STEP.
usainlightning
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)

WHy would you do both STEP 1 and AEA. Isn't it just better to focus all your efforts on one of them?
matt2k8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by usainlightning)
WHy would you do both STEP 1 and AEA. Isn't it just better to focus all your efforts on one of them?
Protects against the possibility of a bad paper/ having a bad day.
Swayum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by usainlightning)
I think doing one improves your performance in the other, so no, I don't think so. The result you get in one can be a lot different to the other because the format is different, but I think doing both maximizes your chances. It definitely isn't an overload by any means.

Also completely agree with the point above.
ajay_ganger
what are the dates for the STEP papers and AEA?
matt2k8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ajay_ganger)
what are the dates for the STEP papers and AEA?
STEP I, III - 21 June
STEP II - 23 June
AEA - 30 June
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by matt2k8)
AEA - 30 June
Oh my, that's horribly late! I expect a number of people will only do STEP based purely on the AEA date.
matt2k8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
Oh my, that's horribly late! I expect a number of people will only do STEP based purely on the AEA date.
I wouldn't say so tbh, it's only a week after most A2 exams (although Maths ones tend to be early) and the AEA is a bit easier than STEP.
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
Then again I wouldn't want 3 hour STEP exams to be in the middle of my other A levels.
.:excel4100%:.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by matt2k8)
STEP I, III - 21 June
STEP II - 23 June
AEA - 30 June
That's really good I was only going to do AEA and STEP I because I heard AEA and STEP II were on the same day but I might do all three now!! Thanks for that
ajay_ganger
so i am going to put warwick as my firm. i was thinking about doing STEP I and II aswell as AEA but do you think it would be too much? or that there is any point?
Unbounded
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ajay_ganger)
so i am going to put warwick as my firm. i was thinking about doing STEP I and II aswell as AEA but do you think it would be too much? or that there is any point?
For most people, I would guess that there's no point doing STEP II as well, which probably makes more work for yourself, and you can focus better on AEA and STEP I without it.
matt2k8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doing STEP I, II and the AEA all prepare you for each of the others though.
ajay_ganger
yeh i know say if i do STEP II aswell wouldn't it be just helping me with AEA and STEP I. so theres more of a chance getting the grade.

Also is it hard getting a 2 on STEP I/II?
Small123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
For most people, I would guess that there's no point doing STEP II as well, which probably makes more work for yourself, and you can focus better on AEA and STEP I without it.
Wouldn't it be better to do STEP I & II because by preparing for STEP II you are also preparing for STEP I and it looks better imo.
IrrationalNumber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd do (did) Step 1,2 and AEA to try to meet the Warwick offer. That way, if you find the AEA tough (perhaps because they give you a massive geometry question worth loads of marks at the end) and have a bad day on STEP 1 you have one more chance. It's only 3 hours of your life lost, the worst that happens is you fail STEP 2 - something that no-one will care about after university entrance. You don't have to do any extra preparation for STEP 2.
Nonamebzja
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Btw which step paper do you guys think i should take? Im applying for Maths and eco/finance related courses its not really part of my offers but i think it would help me alot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (26)
11.06%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.98%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.4%
No (170)
72.34%

Watched Threads