Turn on thread page Beta

Do/Did you take your parents to open days? watch

ReputationRep:
    Did you or are you planning to take your parents with you to university open days? I haven't been to one yet and i'm a bit unsure of what to expect. Are there lots of other people with their parents or a parent?
    Sorry to ask such a stupid question!

ReputationRep:
    I took a perent to open days, its good to have an adult opinion, and the main reason for me was a free lift, as I can't drive. Its also good to have someone to discuss everything with, if you get on well with your parents you can chat about things as you look round, otherwise you may feel a bit overwhelmed in a place you don't know with a load of strangers. depends what sort of person you are I suppose. At the open days I went to there were quite a few people with parents, others with friends/other near age relatives. I think it all depends on what position you are in, I'd say take a parent and just cross your fingers they don't do or say anything embarassing. Have fun on any open days you go to

ReputationRep:
    D/W, it isn't a stupid question! I went with a parent to places which no friends wanted to see - in my opinion it's a lot better than going on your own, especially if you have to travel across the country. There were plenty of people with parents at the open days I went to, so you wouldn't stand out.

Personally, I think it's better fun with friends if they want to come (except if they all want to do Classics/languages and you're a scientist - :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    My Dad come because i didn't want to travel across the country all alone and he gave me a lift!

ReputationRep:
    My parents came to one, where they took the parents off for a seperate tour and us on a tour and then we all came back together. It was actually really useful to have them there for a second opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i went to all of them alone. I think when you contact a university about open days they will let you know if you're expected to bring a parent/guardian and if you are i suggest you do so.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you feel comfortable doing is fine: some people prefer to go on their own - you can do your own thing, after all you won't be bringing your parents to stay at uni with with you!! And unlike when you're with friends, you won't be going to different departments, etc that arent to do with your course. Others go with one or both parents, since it can be good to get a second opinion (especially wiht financial matters) and a different perspective, plus the lift to the uni is a bonus. Going with a friend or friends is fine too, since you're with people on your own 'level' so to speak, ie everyone's in the same boat, plus it can be a bit more fun!

Whatever option, do what you want - there is no right or wrong way!

ReputationRep:
    i'm dragging my parents to all of them! need someone to memorise all the financial issues!

My parents came with me to a couple. When I went to the ones on my own I actually felt really odd as most people were sitting there chatting to thier parents whilst I was just on my own especially at the times when you go to departments and sit through talks etc. Although at the same time it was also nice to go to places on my own and not have to worry about my parents and doing things with all the added stress that parents can bring to these things.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to the Royal Holloway open day so far and took my mum because she gave me a lift there and I didn't really want to be on my own Most people had parents with them and the rest had boyfriends/grlfriends or friends. I'm going to the Cambridge open day tomorrow and my mum's giving me a life again, but they say they won't have room for parents in the talks etc, so she's just dropping me off and going shopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I've only been to the Royal Holloway open day so far and took my mum because she gave me a lift there and I didn't really want to be on my own Most people had parents with them and the rest had boyfriends/grlfriends or friends. I'm going to the Cambridge open day tomorrow and my mum's giving me a life again, but they say they won't have room for parents in the talks etc, so she's just dropping me off and going shopping.
    I took both my parents to the Cambridge open day with me last summer and although they said they didnt have room for parents - my mum and dad both ended up listening in.

Good luck with your Cam open day! Is it a college open day?

ReputationRep:
    My parents both worked full time so I went cross country and through london and everything all on my own :eek:

I only know a couple of people who took parents and I think most of them regretted it!

(Original post by Bekaboo)
    My parents both worked full time so I went cross country and through london and everything all on my own :eek:

I only know a couple of people who took parents and I think most of them regretted it!
    I enjoyed going on my own. Finding my own way round from train stations and on buses gave me a better feel about the places and helped me decide whether I liked them. It meant I could do my own thing and stuff. Like when I went to the Manchester open day I decided to not visit accomodation and buy shoes instead, I very much imagine that if my mum had been there we would have been looking at accomodation for her benefit!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooCee)
    Did you or are you planning to take your parents with you to university open days? I haven't been to one yet and i'm a bit unsure of what to expect. Are there lots of other people with their parents or a parent?
    Sorry to ask such a stupid question!
    I took one of my parents to all of my open days. The reason for this is to give me a lift and listen to the student support, finance, and parents talk. I would recommed you taking a parent. When I went to open days, most of them had a parent with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    My parents came with me to a couple. When I went to the ones on my own I actually felt really odd as most people were sitting there chatting to thier parents whilst I was just on my own especially at the times when you go to departments and sit through talks etc. Although at the same time it was also nice to go to places on my own and not have to worry about my parents and doing things with all the added stress that parents can bring to these things.
    I felt the same too when I went to Loughborough on my own. Got a coach up which I was ok with, not too expensive from London and I dont mind travelling on my own. But when I was in the lecture rooms listening to the information, it didnt feel good to be on my own when everyone else had friends or parents. Going around the campus independently was good though. However, me being my own I underestimated the time it takes to get to Leicester by public transport (I chose this option cuz a: it was cheaper and b: i wanted to experience the local public transport) and big mistake, I missed my coach back to London meaning I was stuck in Leicester on my own for miserable 3 hours or so.

My dad went to Bristol and Manchester with me, and that was much better. Got some conversations going which I hardly tend to do nowadays especially since I live away from him, and free lifts!

But it's really up to you, if you can get your parent to go with you then do so. But there's no harm if you cant, if you are confident with your independence.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Oxford on my own, Birmingham once on my own and once with a friend, Nottingham with my dad, Exeter once on my own and once with both my parents, Bristol once on my own and once with my mum, Manchester on my own, Leeds on my own and York with both my parents. I looked round Warwick with my boyfriend at the time who was already there, and visited a friend who was at Cardiff.

I think whatever you decide to do, it doesn't really matter. Plenty of people go on their own, but there will always be loads of people who bring their parents along. Sometimes they even organise a separate itinerary for parents, or sometimes they say parents won't be able to sit in due to number issues.

On balance, I'd say I quite liked having my parents' opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I did, but only because otherwise it would have been a hassle to get there, plus people dont speak to each other so you'd be on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I took both my parents to the Cambridge open day with me last summer and although they said they didnt have room for parents - my mum and dad both ended up listening in.

Good luck with your Cam open day! Is it a college open day?
    Oh right, I'll tell my mum that, but I'm sure she'd still rather go shopping; all this uni stuff is a bit over her head, same with my dad, because no-one in my family has ever been to uni.

Thanks Yep, it's at Sidney Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    Dont bring your parents to the London universities. Only one person bought theirs along, and they were taging along the whole day. (UCL BTW)

ReputationRep:
    I went with my parents to Cambridge, but they just drove me there, then went shopping all day until i had finished.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.