Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going to keep Business Studies, ICT and Classics to do for A2 next year in Yr 13. I have dropped AS History. I want to know that will it be a good idea to take another AS next year in Yr13? I was thinking of taking AS Geography. Will there be a lot of workload with 3 A2s + 1 AS. What will be the advantages of me taking another AS? Will it give me more points for unis??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    I am going to keep Business Studies, ICT and Classics to do for A2 next year in Yr 13. I have dropped AS History. I want to know that will it be a good idea to take another AS next year in Yr13? I was thinking of taking AS Geography. Will there be a lot of workload with 3 A2s + 1 AS. What will be the advantages of me taking another AS? Will it give me more points for unis?
    I wanted to do this at my school, a lot depends on timetabling issues.

ReputationRep:
    I think most unis will look at your three best A2 grades, or the grade(s) from a specific subject(s). Some unis specify they want 3 A2's and 1 AS, so in that case they look at your best AS grade, if you had taken 2.

It depends if your History grade is good, and/or if you think you can beat it. If it's good, you may be better off getting a part-time job or apprenticeship in the field you're interested in. Or you can collect lots of little qualifications, i.e. the eQuals Lvl1 computer course, which you can do in 12 hours (fast track). This would ease your workload and allow greater flexibility.

If you have done Geography at GCSE then you should be OK if you take the course, but my friend who didn't do it at GCSE dropped it after a month or so, as there was some prior knowledge needed.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to cope with the workload, but universities only want 3 A2s and an AS at most, so you won't actually need it. If your university wants points instead of 3 grades, you might be able to use 2 ASs, but sometimes they say 'x amount of points from 3 A2s'. In short, if you're interested in geography and think you could handle the work, go for it and you can always drop it if it's too much, but don't do it just because you think unis will like it.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to keep Business Studies, ICT and Classics to do for A2 next year in Yr 13. I have dropped AS History. I want to know that will it be a good idea to take another AS next year in Yr13? I was thinking of taking AS Geography. Will there be a lot of workload with 3 A2s + 1 AS. What will be the advantages of me taking another AS? Will it give me more points for unis?
    Since you dropped history, you would have 1 AS already (history) and 3 A2's (business, ICT, and classics).

If you consider AS geography, it's not that bad. I've done AS geography and the workload is not that bad. If you are following AQA B for geography, there is no coursework for AS.

If you take another AS, it might give you advantage over other applicants when applying to university, especially in competitive subjects. It might give you more points, however, it depends on the university's entrance requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh uni's only require 3 A2's and 1 AS, sometimes just 3 A2. So you're only giving yourself more work. Maybe it might look more impressive, but then so would spending all that time getting work experience or revising so you get better in your other subjects.
    Only good reason I see to do it is to open more options, so if you think you might like to do a degree in geography, definitely take AS geog, and same goes for other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    due to taking further maths at christmas in my AS year i had to do the module i missed in the first term of my A2 year along with my 3 other A2 and the A2 further maths, now i was ok with this and got all A's in the january exams but i think this was because i was in effect doing 3 maths A-levels so they all helped each other out, so it might depend on your choice of AS. Also alot of people do 4 A2's and so 3A2's and an AS will be less work if you look at it like that so it seems very possible, again it depend on your use of time as every on is different some find 4 easy other don't(sorry thats not much help, but in the end no matter what anyone says it comes down to you)

ReputationRep:
    I want to do business management at maybe Aston, Hull or Nottingham Trent.
    So now do u think I should take AS Geography in Yr 13?

ReputationRep:
    Doing more than 4 AS levels will be pointless unless you are planning on applying to Oxbridge/LSE, which you are not. For Universities like Aston and NTU, 3 Alevels are more than enough. 5 AS levels are not needed.

Good grades in your 3 core Alevels should be the only thing you should worry about now.
    If you can spend extra time on your A2s that you would have spent on your new AS level, your grades will probably improve, which will allow you to apply to better universities. Getting something like a C in your 5AS level will not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Doing more than 4 AS levels will be pointless unless you are planning on applying to Oxbridge/LSE, which you are not. For Universities like Aston and NTU, 3 Alevels are more than enough. 5 AS levels are not needed.

Good grades in your 3 core Alevels should be the only thing you should worry about now.
    If you can spend extra time on your A2s that you would have spent on your new AS level, your grades will probably improve, which will allow you to apply to better universities. Getting something like a C in your 5AS level will not.
    4AS are in no way a prerequiste for oxbridge, though most people who apply do have 4 or more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm dropping Geography. I hated it. It was incredibly dull, and all the work just seemed pointless. I picked it as an easy A, and it is the subject that could let me down. Just do 3 A levels, why make life more difficult for yourself?

At my college they MAKE you do a fourth subject.

But it doesn't necessarily have to be an AS, I'm doing first aid.

I don't see why you need to do anymore than what gets you into uni....

ReputationRep:
    One girl at the Oxbridge Open Day said 'Would I still get in if I don't get A's in all 7 of my A Levels?' So I asked her what she was doing, she said all three science, maths and further maths, French and Classics. My head would explode doing all those!

ReputationRep:
    inadvisable - too much time constraint in year 13...could do if you only do three A2's i suppose, but it would be mushing it for time and all.

ReputationRep:
    But can't I just take geography AS in Yr 13 and then drop it if I find that there is too much work and that it is affecting my A2s.

Also if I don't get the required grade (i.e. if I get an E in one of my A2s, which I hope I won't), then can't my AS History and AS Geography marks be combined to give me an A2 grade. Some unis do allow that don't they?

ReputationRep:
    But can't I just take geography AS in Yr 13 and then drop it if I find that there is too much work and that it is affecting my A2s.

Also if I don't get the required grade (i.e. if I get an E in one of my A2s, which I hope I won't), then can't my AS History and AS Geography marks be combined to give me an A2 grade. Some unis do allow that don't they?
    Well presumably you'll apply to uni pretty early in yr 13. And if your offers that you accept as firm and insurance specify a grade in Geog AS, then no you cannot just drop it without asking the uni if they mind first.

It depends on how leniant the uni is concerning the second Q. They won't make an offer initially like that unless you like ask for one specifically, I'd assume. And if you ask them to change their offer it's up to them.
    If you fail to meet the grades you can always go through clearing afterwards, just make sure you don't muck up!

ReputationRep:

Yes, you can drop geography after AS if you find it's too much work.

Two AS-levels can be combined into an A/A2-level grade (6 units. in your case AS history has 3 units and AS geography has 3 units, which equals to 6 units), and some universities accept this. Check the university website for this issue.

ReputationRep:
    My brother did this last year, he took maths AS in his second year because he thought it would help him get into his first choice uni which reqiured it, but it tuned out to be no help what-so-ever he was turned down and ended up with a totaly useless qualification after all the extra work. I would only recomend it if you want to take it just to boost your knowlage geography for uni course if you feel you will need it, but not to meet the minimum requirements, or of course, if you dont mind a little extra work, just do it for your enjoyment (but if your anything like me that wont be the case)

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Business Management at uni, so geography is not really needed. I just thought that if I don't get a high A2 grade in one of the subjects next year then maybe the my AS History and AS Geog could be combined to give me a high A2 grade. That's why I'm thinking of taking AS Geog in Yr 13. My friends who do Geog for AS say it's easy but alot of work (which I'm quite worried about now). Have you or anyone who u know had their 2 AS grades combined when they didn't get a high grade in one of their A2 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to pick up french this year even though it probably won't help me to get into uni, but because i really want to. If you enjoyed Geography at GCSE and wish you had taken it this year then take it up, because it'll probably be a lot of fun. If its not included in any offer then that takes any pressure off and you can just enjoy it as something that interests you. If your only taking it for academic reasons then the others here are probably right.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.