Turn on thread page Beta

Please HELP me with your views and suggestions! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody!

I'm an international student and holding two conditional offers from QMUL and UEL for a Bioscience course. Earlier this year, I was unsuccessful at four other universities for A100 medicine course. However, now I've decided to change my chosen course as I know that I possess more potential in Maths and Physics. I've talked to QM Engineering department and they are willing to take me if I get the grades. Moreover, UEL (University of East London) has also agreed to let me switch into the Engineering course.

I wanted to study Mechanical Engineering like my dad, but there is little job opportunities in my country.
    Bangladesh, as a developing country, is much in need of Civil Engineers and so it can be very profitable for me to study Civil Engineering. Besides this, Environmental and Electronic-and-Electrical Engineers have also high prospects in the Indian sub-continent.

As we all know, QMUL has been ranked 12th in UK in The Guardian’s University Guide, it is a better university than UEL (which ranked 52nd in UK).
    However, unfortunately, Civil Engineering is not taught in QM.

UEL, although being comparatively less reputed university, has scored 21 out of 24 for Civil Engineering in the latest QAA assessment. Moreover, this degree programme is accredited by the professional Institutions (Joint Board of Moderators) and can lead to Chartered Engineer status.

Now, my query is: does it really matter to graduate from a less reputed university if I finally obtain the Chartered Engineer status?

I'm really very confused about which university to choose, so please give me some advises.

I applied to UEL becoz the international tuition fee is comparatively lower. (UEL=£6850 and QM=£10,500).

Now, I have one of three options to choose: EITHER
    1. to choose UEL for Civil Engineering BEng(Hons) H200, OR
    2. to choose Electrical-and-Electronic Engineering BEng H600, OR
    3. to decline the two offers and apply for Clearing to get into a reputed university that offer H200.
    PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT TO DO.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have to go to either UEL or QM? Can't you pick another university through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I see that is option 3. I would do that without a doubt! UEL is not such a good uni...

ReputationRep:
    well.. i'm not a gr8 student unfortunately!
    I got 2A, 4B, and 2C in O'levels (GCSEs) - A in Physics and Bs in Math, P. Math, Chemistry. However, I got B and D in Maths and Physics respectively in the winter A' levels. From the summer GCE exams, I'm expecting C and D in Chemistry and Biology respectively.

Engineering Departments in highly ranked universities usually look for AAB-BBB in A'levels and a few of them (e.g. QMUL) look for 260-300 UCAS points. So i'm not sure whether applying for Clearing will be the best decision!

The Civil Engineering course in UEL is accredited by UK Engineering Council and also by JBC, and moreover, the degree programme has good reputation as it scored 21 out of 24 in QAA assessment. So, should I be concerned about the overall reputation of UEL?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd stick with UEL. It may not be a great uni overall, but it's clearly quiite good for your course and it's much less hassle than going through clearing. You'll get professional qualifications at the end of it and if there's a shortage of civil engineers, I can't see the reputation of the uni you went to being a huge problem.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right kellywood_5. Thanks for your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    I think you're right kellywood_5. Thanks for your opinion.
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Also have a look at their links with industry. See if the university has good connections, for example somewhere that can get you placements. Here at Bristol our department is very good at helping people get sponsorship, and runs an industrial tutor scheme where we go and meet somebody working in the industry once a term or so, which is good experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    Also have a look at their links with industry. See if the university has good connections, for example somewhere that can get you placements. Here at Bristol our department is very good at helping people get sponsorship, and runs an industrial tutor scheme where we go and meet somebody working in the industry once a term or so, which is good experience.
    The Engineering School of UEL has strong links with industry and hosts a number of visits at which informal interviews for full and part-time employment opportunities take place.....

Opportunities are available in civil, structural or water engineering, geotechnics, IT or transportation. Many graduates have successfully moved to careers in business, management, and finance.....

Employer links are maintained through UEL's Industrial Liaison Group and employers are invited to attend the University to talk to students about careers in civil engineering. The professional bodies also visit the University regularly and provide details on the qualification process and the advantages available to members (CEng).....

Bonus factors:
    (1) Civil Engineering is studied at the Barking Campus at the heart of the East London catchment area.....
    (2) Local Civil Engineering companies visit UEL's School regularly seeking to recruit quality students for work within the industry. The strong industrial links provided through UEL's industrial liaison panel encourages the employment and career paths of UEL's engineers.

[Source: http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/scot/undergraduate/summary/civileng-beng.htm] - you can see more info. about UEL Civil Engineering here.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! I'm just completely relieved from feeling too anxious about the Civil Engineering course in University of East London.

Yesterday, I contacted UK Engineering Council with the following enquiries:
    • Does it really matter to graduate from a less reputed university if I finally obtain the Chartered Engineer status?
    Answer: The university that you attend is irrelevant to your ability to go on to achieve CEng status. The most important aspect of the degree you study is whether is it accredited for when you start the course.
    • Could you please inform me whether or not engineers from UEL are discriminated by the UK employers from the engineers who have graduated from highly ranked universities?
    Answer: A lot of large engineering companies will only recruit graduates on to their graduate training programmes if they have graduated from an accredited degree course. There are a number of recruitment agencies which will operate the same policy.

Studying an accredited degree (and indeed accredited further learning) will mean that your education satisfies the requirement for CEng registration with no need for further demonstration of education. A graduate of a non-accredited degree would need to have their educational qualification assessed.

ReputationRep:
    Try Aston University. It's good in Engineering, more affordable and offers sandwich courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goddess)
    Try Aston University. It's good in Engineering, more affordable and offers sandwich courses.
    Thanks for your suggestion, but Aston university doesn't run the Civil Engineering course. It has Electrical & Electronic Engineering but the tuition fees are £10,500 pa (same as QMUL) for non-EU students.

I would love to gain admission in a better university for Civil Engineering if I had better grades in my A' levels...

After reading the valid comments from UK Engineering Council (in my last post in this thread), do you still consider UEL's Civil Engineering degree worthless?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your suggestion, but Aston university doesn't run the Civil Engineering course. It has Electrical & Electronic Engineering but the tuition fees are £10,500 pa (same as QMUL) for non-EU students.

I would love to gain admission in a better university for Civil Engineering if I had better grades in my A' levels...

After reading the valid comments from UK Engineering Council (in my last post in this thread), do you still consider UEL's Civil Engineering degree worthless?
    OK, then if you think UK Unis are expensive, try The University of Nottingham's Malaysian campus. It is 40% cheaper !
    Try www.nottingham.edu.my

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goddess)
    OK, then if you think UK Unis are expensive, try The University of Nottingham's Malaysian campus. It is 40% cheaper !
    Try www.nottingham.edu.my
    Yaa... i checked the website, but this uni doesn't run the Civil Engineering degree programme. And the fees are not as cheap as u r saying! For Engineering, non-Malaysian nationals are entitled to pay 8,158 USD per semester. This means the tuition fees per annum is 16,316 USD (=£9,290 approx). If I join UEL, I'll need to pay £7,400 only per annum or 10% discount if I pay full in advance.

ReputationRep:
    QM reserve 6 places on the BL GEP medicine course for its BEng Material Science and Engineering graduates...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    QM reserve 6 places on the BL GEP medicine course for its BEng Material Science and Engineering graduates...
    BL GEP medicine is only for those students who are entitled to pay their tuition fees as 'home' students. I'm a non-EU citizen and so i dont have any chance to get enrolled in QM GEP.

Although I've lost my interest in studying medicine after unsatisfied performance in A2 Biology exam this summer, if I again want to become a doctor it's possible to opt-in for GEP in KCL or other unis that welcome international students.

ReputationRep:
    BL GEP medicine is only for those students who are entitled to pay their tuition fees as 'home' students. I'm a non-EU citizen and so i dont have any chance to get enrolled in QM GEP.

Although I've lost my interest in studying medicine after unsatisfied performance in A2 Biology exam this summer, if I again want to become a doctor it's possible to opt-in for GEP in KCL or other unis that welcome international students.

Not since 2003 entry - 2004 has non-home students on the course, and I know non-home peeps starting in 2005.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Not since 2003 entry - 2004 has non-home students on the course, and I know non-home peeps starting in 2005.
    o i see... actually, i dint get that update earlier. I've checked the website now and it says that there will be places for a limited number of international students for GEP. So there's a very fierce competition for overseas applicants to get an offer of a place for BL GEP (as there's MSAT + limited no. of places + interview). Afterall, medicine is not suitable for average or above-average students (like me), but it's only for very brilliant ones!

ReputationRep:
    MSAT is a piece of piss - no scientific knowledge, just data analysis and reasoning skills.

Unfortunately, due to the number of reserved places for QM's own biomedical sciences, the GEP isn't full of excellence. The 5 year course has more deserving graduates on it [and i'm not refering to myself - one of my friends has come top in every single exam we've had, never getting less than 91%!!!]

ReputationRep:
    I wish I were a genious like your friend... then I could have managed to get enrolled to the five-year MBBS in BL this year!

I always wanted to be a doctor, but the harsh reality has taken away all my dreams & hopes... but I think I shouldn't regret on it coz within next 3-4 years I can, hopefully, become a professional engineer and earn a lot more money than a doctor does (although I wont get more satisfaction than curing a human being!)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.