Turn on thread page Beta

Please HELP me with your views and suggestions! watch

ReputationRep:
    hello all TSR members,

please take part in the poll of this thread so that I can get a statistical data to reach a good decision in choosing the right university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    Yaa... i checked the website, but this uni doesn't run the Civil Engineering degree programme. And the fees are not as cheap as u r saying! For Engineering, non-Malaysian nationals are entitled to pay 8,158 USD per semester. This means the tuition fees per annum is 16,316 USD (=£9,290 approx). If I join UEL, I'll need to pay £7,400 only per annum or 10% discount if I pay full in advance.
    I meant 40% cheaper when compared to the University of Nottingham in UK !!!!

In that case, I think the Dhaka University is the best place for you. When you go after cheap universities you will only end up getting a cheap degree!!!!

Btw, try Paisly university. It is quite cheap, but I do not guarantee the quality of teaching. www.paisley.ac.uk

Like I said before, Malaysian Universities are a lot cheaper. If you think Nottingham Malaysia is too much, then try INTI College, Sunway College, Taylor's College, etc. Just google and you'll find a lot

ReputationRep:
    PS- There are also some programmes in Malaysia, where you could study for one year in Malaysia and spend the rest of the years in UK. That is a lot cheaper than spending all three years in UK !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goddess)
    I meant 40% cheaper when compared to the University of Nottingham in UK !!!!
    Not really!!... the engineering degree programme in Nottingham uni (UK campus) costs £11,570 p.a. whereas the tuition fees for the same course in Malaysian campus is around £9,290 (only 20% less!).

In that case, I think the Dhaka University is the best place for you. When you go after cheap universities you will only end up getting a cheap degree!!!!
    Gaining admission in Dhaka University is a dream for many Bangladeshis as it's very difficult, even for brilliant students, to get an offer of a place from there. Only applicants with all A grades in GCSEs & A' levels or GPA 5.0 in S.C.C & H.S.C. can think of applying there as the competition is very fierce. Even the A-graded students are shortlisted by admission tests and interviews. So you can imagine how tough it is and a matter of luck to gain admission to the University of Dhaka. The tuition fees are surprisingly very low because this is a government (public) university and so any talented/successful student can afford to study there. However, this degree is not at all cheap becoz it's well-recognised worldwide.

Btw, try Paisly university. It is quite cheap, but I do not guarantee the quality of teaching. www.paisley.ac.uk
    Yes, I've seen the website of Paisley university and I don't wonder about the tuition fees and living expenses to be relatively cheaper in UK becoz this uni is located in Scotland. I think the quality of education is O.K. as the civil engineering department has been ranked 8th by the Guardian in 2005 (check it here: http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...163886,00.html)

Like I said before, Malaysian Universities are a lot cheaper. If you think Nottingham Malaysia is too much, then try INTI College, Sunway College, Taylor's College, etc. Just google and you'll find a lot
    Thank you for the information. I have browsed some of these colleges' websites but I've found out that not all of them run the accredited Engineering degree courses [i.e. the courses are not registered by the Board of Engineers (Malaysia)].

PS- There are also some programmes in Malaysia, where you could study for one year in Malaysia and spend the rest of the years in UK. That is a lot cheaper than spending all three years in UK !!
    Yes, I agree with you. I have to apply to Malaysian unis if I can't manage to start studying in a UK uni in 2005 entry.

ReputationRep:
    Not really!!... the engineering degree programme in Nottingham uni (UK campus) costs £11,570 p.a. whereas the tuition fees for the same course in Malaysian campus is around £9,290 (only 20% less!).
    OK here are my calculations:

I calculate with Sri Lankan Rupee

Nottingham UK fees for 1 year = £ 11 750
    Nottingham UK fees for 3 years = £ 35 250
    UK cost of living per year = £ 6 000
    UK cost of living for 3 years = £ 18 000
    Total cost for Uni of Nottingham UK = £ 53 250
    Total Nottingham cost in SL Rupee = Rs 10 650 000

Nottingham Malaysia fees for 1 year = RM 31 000
    Nottingham Malaysia fees for 3 years = RM 93 000
    Malaysia cost of living per year = RM 9 000
    Malaysia cost of living for 3 years = RM 27 000
    Total cost of Nottingham Malaysia = RM 120 000
    Total Nottingham Malaysia cost in SL Rupee = Rs 3 240 000

The difference is Rs 7 410 000 in sri Lankan Rupee, which will be approximately £ 37 050. So you can save £ 37 050.

ReputationRep:
    PS - the percentage is 70% !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    OK here are my calculations:

I calculate with Sri Lankan Rupee

PS - the percentage is 70% !!!!!
    I am sorry to say that you have done a wrong calculation.

The first mistake you made in your calculation was taking Uni of Nottingham UK fee (p.a.) to be £11,750. In fact, it is £11,570 for 2005/06 entry which I already stated in my last post on this thread. [You can also check it here]

Your second mistake was the wrong conversion of UK pounds (GBP) into Sri Lanka Rupees (LKR). The correct exchange rate is 1 GBP = 176 LKR [You can check it here].

So, the correct form of your calculation should be as follows:

Nottingham UK fees for 1 year = £ 11 570
    Nottingham UK fees for 3 years = £ 34 710
    UK cost of living per year = £ 6 000
    UK cost of living for 3 years = £ 18 000
    Total cost for Uni of Nottingham UK = £ 52 710
    Total Nottingham cost in SL Rupee = Rs 9 276 960

Nottingham Malaysia fees for 1 year = RM 31 000
    Nottingham Malaysia fees for 3 years = RM 93 000
    Malaysia cost of living per year = RM 9 000
    Malaysia cost of living for 3 years = RM 27 000
    Total cost of Nottingham Malaysia = RM 120 000
    Total Nottingham Malaysia cost in SL Rupee = Rs 3 173 967 (1 MYR = 27 LKR)

The difference is Rs 6 102 993 LKR. Therefore, the percentage difference = 65.8%
    I know that this is close to 70%, but it makes some difference in terms of money.
    Actually, the % difference should be lower (close to 40%) as most students earn a lot of £££ by part-time jobs in UK and usually pay more than 80% of their living expenses by themselves. There are also opportunities of earning in Malaysia, but earning is not that high to pay accomadation costs.

I didn't agree with you, in the first place, about Uni of Nottingham Malaysia's overall fees to be 40% cheaper than that of Uni of Nottingham UK because I calculated only the tuition fees in terms of pounds.

Yes, if I convert the tuition fees into Bangladesh Taka (BDT), the % diff would be close to 50% but NOT 70% because 1 GBP = 113 BDT and 1 MYR = 17 BDT.

In conclusion, I agree with you on Uni of Nottingham Malaysia being much cheaper than the original UK one.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: You are right !!! It is 11 570 . Anyway Malaysia's a lot cheaper.

By the way, I applied to Nottingham Malaysia and I have a conditional offer. With the offer I got a booklet which said a lot of things about their laws. It also sdaid that they only allow foreign students to work during hollidays and after going trough a long process. It is not like in UK which is 20 hrs work time per week during sememster and full time during hollidays.

Also check out Sandwich degrees (Industrial placement). This way u can earn while studying!

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I applied to Nottingham Malaysia and I have a conditional offer.
    Which course have you chosen to study in Uni of Nottingham Malaysia? Do you have any plan to complete your 2nd/3rd year in the UK campus?

ReputationRep:
    Ah! I'm just completely relieved from feeling too anxious about the Civil Engineering course in University of East London.

Yesterday, I contacted UK Engineering Council with the following enquiries:
    • Does it really matter to graduate from a less reputed university if I finally obtain the Chartered Engineer status?
    Answer: The university that you attend is irrelevant to your ability to go on to achieve CEng status. The most important aspect of the degree you study is whether is it accredited for when you start the course.
    • Could you please inform me whether or not engineers from UEL are discriminated by the UK employers from the engineers who have graduated from highly ranked universities?
    Answer: A lot of large engineering companies will only recruit graduates on to their graduate training programmes if they have graduated from an accredited degree course. There are a number of recruitment agencies which will operate the same policy.

Studying an accredited degree (and indeed accredited further learning) will mean that your education satisfies the requirement for CEng registration with no need for further demonstration of education. A graduate of a non-accredited degree would need to have their educational qualification assessed.
    A-S-H-I-Q-U-E, the UK Engineering Council didn't answer your questions at all; instead they just gave the usual official waffle.

You need to get into contact with the big engineering companies, and ask them for their frank views University of East London graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snape)
    A-S-H-I-Q-U-E, the UK Engineering Council didn't answer your questions at all; instead they just gave the usual official waffle.

You need to get into contact with the big engineering companies, and ask them for their frank views University of East London graduates.
    Well... they almost replied to my queries except the 'discrimination' part! Although the Engineering Council didn't mention 'UEL' in their message, they certainly referred to UEL indirectly.

In answering to my 1st question, they said, "The university that you attend is irrelevant to your ability to go on to achieve CEng status. The most important aspect of the degree you study is whether is it accredited for when you start the course." Here, they meant that as long as I study an accredited BEng course I am able to achieve CEng status. So it doesn't matter if I study in an overall less reputed uni (e.g. UEL) as long as it offers an accredited course.

In answering to my 2nd question, they particularly mentioned a point: "A lot of large engineering companies will only recruit graduates on to their graduate training programmes if they have graduated from an accredited degree course. There are a number of recruitment agencies which will operate the same policy." Here, I agree that they haven't answered my query directly about the discrimination of Engineers but they've certainly mentioned that generally engineers are recruited by those companies where they complete their 'graduate training programmes'. So, even if UEL civil engineers are discriminated by companies who usually recruit engineers from top unis, they'll certainly never remain unemployed. I think the Engineering Council believes that there's no discrimination as they said, "Studying an accredited degree (and indeed accredited further learning) will mean that your education satisfies the requirement for CEng registration with no need for further demonstration of education."

Yes, it is a good idea to contact large engineering companies for verification. However, I don't think I need to do so because I've got some unofficial offers from good unis (LEEDS, SURREY, etc) for the H200 course as I contacted them for initial assessment in order to apply through Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Well... they almost replied to my queries except the 'discrimination' part! Although the Engineering Council didn't mention 'UEL' in their message, they certainly referred to UEL indirectly.

In answering to my 1st question, they said, "The university that you attend is irrelevant to your ability to go on to achieve CEng status. The most important aspect of the degree you study is whether is it accredited for when you start the course." Here, they meant that as long as I study an accredited BEng course I am able to achieve CEng status. So it doesn't matter if I study in an overall less reputed uni (e.g. UEL) as long as it offers an accredited course.

In answering to my 2nd question, they particularly mentioned a point: "A lot of large engineering companies will only recruit graduates on to their graduate training programmes if they have graduated from an accredited degree course. There are a number of recruitment agencies which will operate the same policy." Here, I agree that they haven't answered my query directly about the discrimination of Engineers but they've certainly mentioned that generally engineers are recruited by those companies where they complete their 'graduate training programmes'. So, even if UEL civil engineers are discriminated by companies who usually recruit engineers from top unis, they'll certainly never remain unemployed. I think the Engineering Council believes that there's no discrimination as they said, "Studying an accredited degree (and indeed accredited further learning) will mean that your education satisfies the requirement for CEng registration with no need for further demonstration of education."

Yes, it is a good idea to contact large engineering companies for verification. However, I don't think I need to do so because I've got some unofficial offers from good unis (LEEDS, SURREY, etc) for the H200 course as I contacted them for initial assessment in order to apply through Clearing.
    Your first question: “Does it really matter to graduate from a less reputed university if I finally obtain the Chartered Engineer status?”

An actual answer would be EITHER “no, it doesn’t matter if you graduate at a less reputed uni” or “yes, it does – now get your ass to Imperial”

Their response “The university that you attend is irrelevant to your ability to go on to achieve CEng status” is irrelevant to your question. Note they said achieving CEng status, not whether it will harm your employability.

Your second question: “Could you please inform me whether or not engineers from UEL are discriminated by the UK employers from the engineers who have graduated from highly ranked universities?”

Again, an actual answer would say yes or no.

Their response that many companies only employ people with Ceng status is, again, irrelevant to your question.

ReputationRep:
    Which course have you chosen to study in Uni of Nottingham Malaysia? Do you have any plan to complete your 2nd/3rd year in the UK campus?
    I applied for Chemical Engineering BEng/MEng (Hon) . And I'm also hoping to transfer to the UK campus. But I'm gonna decide whether it is after 1st or 2nd year when I get there.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.