Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone here use betfair just wondering what its like etc ??

any good

ReputationRep:
    there shud b a gambling thread lol
    betfair is good if ur into gambing and know ur horses, no good for the occasional better.
    tip - soliders tale - tomorrow @ newmarket - get on !

ReputationRep:
    it is good. especially if u own a racehorse and are a bit crooked, as it allows u to lay off your horses to lose (i.e. take bets for them) and therfore if u then make sure the horse loses u get to keep the money from bets. thats wot that big kieron fallon scandal was about.

ReputationRep:
    i back horses regular and refuse to back fallon, i just dont trust the bloke, great jocley no doubt but he isnt straight (like me lol) but i back spencer, last year got hammered as he was crap this year am quids in !
    i have betfair but dont use it often as still getting my head round how it works, to me racing is simple you back a horse to win, end of.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I signed up with BetFair a bit ago - made a bit of money during Wimbledon and had a day on the financial bets (FTSE hourly up/down). Taken my money out and abandoned it now though

Is it just me, or does the Lay Off betting seem completely pointless (unless you're going to rig-it as above)?

ReputationRep:
    How is laying off completely pointless?

Say you back a golfer on the first day of a tournament at 100/1, then he makes the cut in the lead and drops to 12/1, you can lay back some all or more than your stake as a safeguard to ensure you make profits regardless of the outcome.

It's as good for beginners as anything else, in 95% of cases, you will get equal/better odds than from a bookie, to the extent that a lot of gamblers make a tax-free living from it.

ReputationRep:
    i still need to understand the laying etc of bets, will do some research me thinks and then will try some bets on betfair
    backed ''mine'' today - come on 16/1 !!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I had a good time on betfair during the general election...but sadly lost all the bet I put on...I'd overestimated the gains I thought the Lib dems would make off the Tories (ie none) and underestimated the gains the'd make off Labour.

Oh well. It was fun whilst I was betting. I've not been back since, but I like the fact you can easily bet on such a wide variety of things, often with bette rodds than traditional bookmakers have.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.