The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. And my dad's shop in Edinburgh has had to close for the last 3 days. He's just someone making a living, hardly the kingpin of capitalism.
Reply 2
foxo
Yes. And my dad's shop in Edinburgh has had to close for the last 3 days. He's just someone making a living, hardly the kingpin of capitalism.

It annoys me when idiots take the piss out of the civil liberties they have.

I fail to see how it possibly helps in any way...
Reply 3
Fools. They're not helping whatsoever. If they had tanks maybe, that would make people listen... but throwing cobbles and telling police to die is hardly effective protest. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Well, they are dumbasses.. There is no way a sane person would take orders from an insane person. I mean, they could just do a peaceful rally, and do it the proper way. The damage they do is just gonna cost the governement. Such foolish acts
Reply 5
Beekeeper
Pulling down barriers
Smashing up cars in local villiage
Bombing police
Telling police to "die" and "go to hell" whilst throwing missiles

There is a fine line between excercising your civil rights and taking the piss.

Just thought i'd express my disapproval...

it really is pathetic - people making a living protecting others giving time for them to voice their opinions yet its just an excuse to try to beat the living crap out of police while protected in numbers

why the hell did Geldof tell people to rally in Scotland? esp. to get 1m people there, live 8's done its job well
Reply 6
Well, geldof should have been more specific, tell em to be more peaceful at least
I haven't heard about this, who is throwing missiles and why??
Reply 8
Bunch of petit-bourgeois deviants :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Haha I thought it was funny on the news when they were interviewing some anti-capitalists on a train and they were selling T-Shirts and merchandice to each other!!
most of them probably don't care. They just want to make as big a noise as possible. fame or imfamy is not making a difference. a lot of the time it's being a ****.

I thought you were possibly starting a thread about how they are going to hell themselves. new district of Edinburgh perhaps?

Justice society anyone??
nasht
Well, geldof should have been more specific, tell em to be more peaceful at least

you can't blame Bob Geldof for peopel being dicks. It was up to them to go, and up to them to behave that way. If you have to tell every group of people that what they're doingshould be fdone peacefully then you'll spend forever organising anything.
Reply 12
Beekeeper
Pulling down barriers
Smashing up cars in local villiage
Bombing police
Telling police to "die" and "go to hell" whilst throwing missiles

There is a fine line between excercising your civil rights and taking the piss.

Just thought i'd express my disapproval...

I quite agree.

While there are some important issues a stake, having running battles with the police does nothing for any cause (if anything it plays into the hands of the governments that they are protesting against).

Sadly anarchists are a common feature of G8 meetings. Perhaps we should treat them in the same way we treat football hooligans banning travel at certain times etc.

Ian
Reply 13
fernando
why the hell did Geldof tell people to rally in Scotland? esp. to get 1m people there, live 8's done its job well

Because the G8 Summit is being held in Gleneagles - in Scotland :smile:
Reply 14
I.G.S.
I quite agree.

While there are some important issues a stake, having running battles with the police does nothing for any cause (if anything it plays into the hands of the governments that they are protesting against).

Sadly anarchists are a common feature of G8 meetings. Perhaps we should treat them in the same way we treat football hooligans banning travel at certain times etc.

Ian

Its an idea... but that only works for foreign travel. You don't need a passport to go to Scotland - thats the main way the police stop travel for known footie hooligans, by confiscating their passports.
Electronic tagging might be an option, but that wouldn't stop the hardened anarchist... or someone local to the proposed riot.
Reply 15
Yes, some of the anarchist and other autonomous groups are behaving quite childish in their protests.

However, I'm much more comfortable directing my anger to a few people who will be sitting down in Gleneagles hotel soon enough that are responsible for far more damage to the global environment and humanity than a few measly anarchists ever created.
Reply 16
Mad Vlad
Its an idea... but that only works for foreign travel. You don't need a passport to go to Scotland - thats the main way the police stop travel for known footie hooligans, by confiscating their passports.
Electronic tagging might be an option, but that wouldn't stop the hardened anarchist... or someone local to the proposed riot.

You are quite right that passport confiscation would not stop anarchists already resident in Britain.

This would, however, be a possible solution to stop british passport holding anarchists from traveling to the next G8 meeting which (as far as I know) will not be Britain.

Ian
Anarchists aren't actually legitimate people, generally their ideology makes them scum.
Final_F
Haha I thought it was funny on the news when they were interviewing some anti-capitalists on a train and they were selling T-Shirts and merchandice to each other!!

Anti-capitalist merchandise. I love it :biggrin:
In my part of the States, the National Guard would have already sent in a cavalry charge followed by fully armed tanks to break something like this up. Those rioters aught to be grateful that they are treated like human beings, even if they don't seem to act like humans themselves.

Latest