ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    followed by fully armed tanks to break something like this up
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Because the G8 Summit is being held in Gleneagles - in Scotland
    OK then, but why in Edinburgh then?

Unless it's a cunning ploy by the state to stop Auchterarder getting overwhelmed.

(Original post by Woodsy)
    Anarchists aren't actually legitimate people, generally their ideology makes them scum.
    Believing in the abolition of the state = non-person?

Afraid that equation just doesn't balance in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how grateful the people of Edinburgh are to sir/saint bob? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    I wonder how grateful the people of Edinburgh are to sir/saint bob? :rolleyes:
    As a part time resident of Edinburgh (I go to school there and my dad lives there) I'll be the first to tell you - most of us think he's an utter c**t, now.

ReputationRep:
    They're not anarchists. They're just thugs. People looking for an excuse to fight. They don't give a **** about G8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    They're not anarchists. They're just thugs. People looking for an excuse to fight. They don't give a **** about G8.
    I was going to say the same thing. All protests inevitably attract some people who use them as an excuse for violence, very much like football hooligans, most of whom probably couldn't care less about football as a sport.

ReputationRep:
    I just thought I'd say, I think it's right to protest to make poverty history, but these people really haven't used the most intelligent way of doing it really, have they? They're just doing it all wrong so people won't take them seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Pulling down barriers
    Smashing up cars in local villiage
    Bombing police
    Telling police to "die" and "go to hell" whilst throwing missiles

There is a fine line between excercising your civil rights and taking the piss.

Just thought i'd express my disapproval...
    i'd have the police shooting them on sight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    I just thought I'd say, I think it's right to protest to make poverty history
    No, that's where everyone goes wrong! Protesting against such a vague thing will aciee abslutely nothing! There is no-one whois happy that poverty exists! Protesting to "make poverty history" is rather like protesting against murder, or rape - it's ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    I accept people might tear down barriers. I accept people may retaliate to police brutality. But idiots blocking roads for ordinary people AND protesters as well as smashing up private propoerty of individuals are so stupid and they will either die in ignorance or live to be very embarassed of what they did in their younger days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I accept people might tear down barriers. I accept people may retaliate to police brutality. But idiots blocking roads for ordinary people AND protesters as well as smashing up private propoerty of individuals are so stupid and they will either die in ignorance or live to be very embarassed of what they did in their younger days.
    Indeed, i must point out, though, that British police are not "brutal" unless they are grossly provoked as they were on this occassion.

Throwing rocks at police should not be tolerated, and the police handled the situation very well indeed.

ReputationRep:
    that British police are not "brutal" unless they are grossly provoked as they were on this occassion.
    they werent brutal on this occasion, nor do i ever recall a british police force being so under any previous circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    they werent brutal on this occasion, nor do i ever recall a british police force being so under any previous circumstance.
    Ha! You are seriously saying the British police have never, not even on an individual level, been over-zealous in their use of force?!?!

(Original post by kingslaw)
    Bunch of petit-bourgeois deviants :rolleyes:
    I was there. They smashed a McDonald's.

I'd just like to express my approval.

ReputationRep:
    Pulling down barriers
    Smashing up cars in local villiage
    Bombing police
    Telling police to "die" and "go to hell" whilst throwing missiles

There is a fine line between excercising your civil rights and taking the piss.

Just thought i'd express my disapproval...
    I totally agree. If I was a member of the riot police up against these chumps, I really don't think I could be so restrained.

ReputationRep:
    It annoyed me as well. I don't think I would have minded so much if it was actually a protest, but they were smashing up people's cars and businesses. It was just a bunch of idiots looking for trouble and it's not really fair to lump legitimate protestors in with scum like that.

All the same I was privately pleased to see that McDonalds got done. I don't know why, but it just felt . . . right.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the police handled the situations in a non brutal manner, which is more than can be said for how a lot of other countries in Europe may have.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm in scotland at the moment (protests have finished now) and was at Gleneagles yesterday. There were not only anarchists but a broad range of leftists at the protest. The protest was generally non-violent and when there were mini-scuffles with the police they were generally the result of anger with the G8 rather than anger at the police force. fgor your information, the town of Gleneagles was not at all smashed up and we had the support of most of the townspeople as well as people from the neighbouring villages who joing our protest. It is important in a democracy (if we purport to have on) that there is a right to demonstrate and with the police doing what they did yesterday that right was almost denied to us.

Yes, there are always trouble-makers at these events but I can assure you that this one was almost completely peaceful with much of the aggression being instigated by British police who did not have an understanding of Scots' law. I will write up a summary of everything that's happenned here but I currently can't get back to London (for obvious reasons) so it might take a couple of days.

MB

ReputationRep:
    welp, as to what i have read.. it is the trouble makers thats making it look bad

ReputationRep:
    I think its a shame that a small group always spoil things for others. I was at the Make Poverty History rally on Saturday (having cycled with a team from Lancaster - and made the front page of the Scottish Herald :p:). The atmosphere was fantastic and 225,000 were able to make there protest heard peacefully. There was a single arrest over the whole day.

On a tangent, I am dissapointed that the Live 8 concerts completely overshadowed the actual MPH rally. It's great that it raised the profile, but I can't help being cynical and wondering how many of the performers really cared and how many were just there to try to relaunch (in some cases) their failing careers. Similarly how many fans were there for the cause and how many for the line up of 'stars'

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.