Turn on thread page Beta

Im stuck into a large amount of revision for my P2 mock tommorow and have been fine until I came across this little question that I can't seem to answer properly...

1a) Given that: cos(X+30) = 3cos(X-30), prove that, tanX= -(sqrt3)/2

1b) Prove that, (1-cos2X) / (sin2X) = tanX

Any help on these would be much appreciated (and rewarded with rep)!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    cos x cos 30 - sin x sin 30 = 3 cos x cos 30 + 3 sin x sin 30
    4 sin x sin 30 = -2 cos x cos 30
    sin x / cos x = -1/2 cos 30 / sin 30

tan x = -1/2 ((rt 3)/2)/(1/2 = - (rt 3) / 2

ReputationRep:
    1-cos(2x) = 2 sin^2 x.

So (1-cos2x) / sin 2x = 2sin^2 x / 2sinx cos x = sinx/cosx = tan x

ReputationRep:
    1 - cos2x = sin²x + cos²x - (cos²x - sin²x) = 2 sin²x

sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x

=> (1-cos2x)/sin2x = (2 sinx sinx)/(2 sinx cosx) = sinx / cosx = tanx

ReputationRep:
    Im stuck into a large amount of revision for my P2 mock tommorow and have been fine until I came across this little question that I can't seem to answer properly...

Any help on these would be much appreciated (and rewarded with rep)!!!
    this is your lucky day. i have da intermediate maths mock paper 2 with me now.

OK so elpaw will be recieving the rep for tonight BUT theone will be getting some some also because he was the first to reply with the answer to the second question!!!

Thankyou both very much, I can't believe that I couldn't do the first one. I can never prove the trig identities but I should have been able to use the sum and product formulae in the first one...ohhh well, back to revision...

(Original post by mikie)
    this is your lucky day. i have da intermediate maths mock paper 2 with me now.
    Wasn't aware that A2 maths had an intermediate paper...lol....I think you mean GCSE paper!!! If any of this stuff is on that paper then I am very impressed at the current level of our GCSE students!!!

ReputationRep:
    OK so elpaw will be recieving the rep for tonight BUT theone will be getting some some also because he was the first to reply with the answer to the second question!!!

Thankyou both very much, I can't believe that I couldn't do the first one. I can never prove the trig identities but I should have been able to use the sum and product formulae in the first one...ohhh well, back to revision...

wooo i never cant get bak to revision once i get here or on internet, i always do this, i know i will regert later but i still do it or say cant help myself on it

ReputationRep:
    Have you noticed? The maths dudes always take up teh questions no matter what. Especially quick when rep is around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Have you noticed? The maths dudes always take up teh questions no matter what. Especially quick when rep is around.
    hmmm, yes, i have noticed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well i've solved my fair share of maths probs here (about 2 ), but have got jack all rep for it.......... not that it's that big a deal tho

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 16, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.