Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    as in title!

ReputationRep:
    Well, at our school teachers choose all school officials, and i've already been chosen as a senior prefect (decan in our school it is called) so I guess the answer is no!

ReputationRep:
    nope..i left my schoo.l woudl't be good enoygh anywya

ReputationRep:
    Er what is it?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: head girl/boy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Er what is it?
    A privilage, or so they say... It's a title given to a boy/girl who performs exceptionally both academically and socially around the school. Basically like a helper, but they get ripped the piss out of usually because it's purely sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    A privilage, or so they say... It's a title given to a boy/girl who performs exceptionally both academically and socially around the school. Basically like a helper, but they get ripped the piss out of usually because it's purely sad.
    Oh right we don't have that... we have an awards evening which is pretty good I think that's in October

ReputationRep:
    Our Head Boy and Head Girl were probably the post popular people in our year, although they did both apply to Oxford. That worked well because they were taken seriously. They weren't 'the geeks who think they have power now.' There were a mix of academic types and social types on the senior prefect team. No prefects ever went to rpefect duty though, we were an awful year for that. xx

ReputationRep:
    :/ we dont get this at our school :bawling: not that id be eligable for it any way

ReputationRep:
    we had this we had deputies too
    the teachers chose them
    i have no idea how they came to their decision cos i would neva have picked some of them.
    i was a prefect but our teachers couldnt be bothered to go on duty anyway

ReputationRep:
    You get to apply for it? Nowadays in my school the pupils of that year group nominate who they think should be head girl/boy and then the teachers confirm the choices. Back when I was in Year 11 the teachers just chose.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at head girls and boys and prefects. I think it's the funniest and most out-dated thing ever!!

Talk about encouraging popularity and all that - students shouldn't be separated into "these people are better" and "these people are worse". Fine, give awards, but don't continually rub it in other peoples faces by actually allowing someone to be the "Head Boy" or "Head Girl" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The prefect system in my school is a JOKE. We have a head girl and boy, as normal, but then two deputies of each gender. About 80% of the year group are made prefects too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nearly everyone in our year was a prefect. the way it worked was that teachers put names forward of people that they thought should be prefects, they were all made into prefects. From that list teachers then decided to back certain pupils for senior prefect places. the teachers chose the senior prefects, and then from that we had to apply ot be head boy/girl and a panel of teachers choce, but they took the views of the senior prefect team into consideration. The pupils were really annoyed that they didn't get to vote, but the teachers thought that it would stop it from being a popularity contest if they chose. i think the people we ended up with would have been picked by the year anyway. xx

ReputationRep:
    At my school the teachers picked the prefects and head boy/girl and the deputies. I was head girl in year 11 and itwas based on both academic and social. i never had the piss taken out of me. it was quite good thou coz all my friends were prefects plus i was great mates with the head boy.

ReputationRep:
    My school had over 30 applicants for head girl this year. Its not sad here, and the head girls actually do a lot of hard work. And, the last stage of picking head girls is a student vote, so we have a say. Its not the teachers picking the 'best', its the students deciding who we want to represent us.

Or, if you don't want to be head girl/senior prefect, then you can join the 6th form committee, which is more social aspects of the school. Best of both worlds!

ReputationRep:
    at my school, the students in the Lower VIth vote, and then nominate people who they think should be head boy/girl. the teachers vote as well, and the most popular choices are interviewed for the posts. i agree, it does tend to be the annoying people who suck up to the teachers the most (im really just talking about head girls here, the boys don't seem to suck up), but noone takes it too seriously. then we have prefects, but they don't find out until the holidays, and the headmaster has the final say in all appointments.

ReputationRep:
    dont apply! they just make you stack chairs and talk crap in extra events...waste of time! go watch TV or something if you have that much free time

ReputationRep:
    I am a prefect at the moment.

Hopefully I will ghet chosen for Head boy next year!

Thanks,

Amrou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    as in title!
    i might when im in upper sixth xoxo

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.