Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Edexcel website proposes this as an option.

I have submitted an e-mail enquiry to Edexcel, asking how this can be a viable possibility when the content of FP3 clearly requires (for example) a knowledge of hyperbolic functions, which is only to be acquired via FP2.

see p 16 of

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...cification.pdf

I shall notify you all of the replies which I receive...

I am going outside now, and I may be gone for some time...

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    The Edexcel website proposes this as an option.

I have submitted an e-mail enquiry to Edexcel, asking how this can be a viable possibility when the content of FP3 clearly requires (for example) a knowledge of hyperbolic functions, which is only to be acquired via FP2.

see p 16 of

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...cification.pdf

I shall notify you all of the replies which I receive...

I am going outside now, and I may be gone for some time...

Aitch
    spec says, c1-c4 and fp1 knowledge.
    oh well, edexcel have ****ed up yet again (remember the m3 problem where it stated c1-c3 knowledge including differentiation and integration?)
    I didn't get a reply when i sent edexcel an e-mail so I wouldn't really get your hopes up on a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    (remember the m3 problem where it stated c1-c3 knowledge including differentiation and integration?)

I didn't get a reply when i sent edexcel an e-mail so I wouldn't really get your hopes up on a reply.
    I remember it well!

That's why I'm going outside and may be gone for some time...

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    That's strange. Although they could argue that hyperbolic functions don't require that much preparation, or perhaps they'll stop asking questions relating to them in the exams from now on (which is unlikely, even though there weren't any this year).

I personally found P5/FP2 to be the most useful and challenging module of the lot, and it would be a shame to do an A-level in further math without it. But that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found P5/FP2 to be the most useful and challenging module of the lot, and it would be a shame to do an A-level in further math without it. But that's just my opinion.
    I agree that P5/FP2 was the most challenging. P6 introduced some interesting concepts but some of the content was quite algorithmic in nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I agree that P5/FP2 was the most challenging. P6 introduced some interesting concepts but some of the content was quite algorithmic in nature.
    Too true. I've looked at MEI's syllabus, and I've found that their P6 specification is much better than the other boards'. They offer several interesting options with a more in-depth treatment. The other boards should consider a similar approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I think that a good case could be made for making FP1,2,3 all compulsory parts of FM, if it were not for the fact that the current policy is clearly to make Maths qualifications at this level easier to get, not harder.

A poll to find out what proportion of students of FM are intending to complete the course without sitting both of FP2 and FP3, might be interesting.

[Certainly more interesting than some polls, like the GC polls which seek to discover what the most popular colour of toothbrush handle is...]

Aitch

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 7, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.