Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone that knows what this means,

notce te ipsum

i think that it is latin, not sure if the spelling is correct. if it is any help it was written outside my old school library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    anyone that knows what this means,

notce te ipsum

i think that it is latin, not sure if the spelling is correct. if it is any help it was written outside my old school library.
    I think it was

(G)nosce te ipsum [Know yourself] [Seen with and without the initial g]

The message is intended to be that it is essential to know yourself before you attempt to acquire other knowledge...

I ought to know who said this. I think that the original was Greek before it was Latin... (goes off to search...)

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    I think it was

(G)nosce te ipsum [Know yourself] [Seen with and without the initial g]

The message is intended to be that it is essential to know yourself before you attempt to acquire other knowledge...

I ought to know who said this. I think that the original was Greek before it was Latin... (goes off to search...)

Aitch
    Originally [probably] Greek: gnothi seauton [Know thyself]

It appears in gold letters over the portico of the temple at Delphi, and has been ascribed to Pythagoras, to several of the wise men of Greece, and to Phemonoe, a mythical Greek poetess. According to Juvenal, the words descended from heaven. [As in "Did you paint this on my temple?" "Me? No, Guv. Perhaps it was God..."]

I have seen it elsewhere ascribed to Hippocrates, which is, I think, where I remember it from. I had understood that Hippocrates gave this advice to doctors whom he was training, to suggest that they should know themselves before trying to understand others.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    thank you! i have been thinking about it for such a long time. i don't think that i will ever get that phrase out of my head, i read it too many times. but at least now i know the meaning of them. thanks!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 7, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.