Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Our jerking knees tell most of this is a noble goal, but is it?

Most who clamour for world peace and order think up, or support ideologies which would bring this about, but aren't the many and diverse ideologies one of the main causes of conflict?

The local Imam for example pushes Islam and tells us that if we all submitted to the glorious teachings of Allah, peace would surely follow, while the businessman argues that globalisation is breaking down barriers between cultures and that increased interconnectedness of peoples makes conflict less likely.

Other ideologies, faiths, political doctrines and movements share similar ideals and ultimate goal, none apparently realising that the very act of finding identity and security in their ideology makes inevitable a conflict with people who cling to some other idea. The violent resistance of Muslim communities to western mass culture (sometimes violently imposed) for example.

If such a thing as world peace is a possibility wouldn't it require a turning away from group identities and ideologies. Is this likely or even possible?

People who identify with all these conflict creating ideologies should be honest and say that peace is impossible as a result of their fearful need for (illusory) security. People who value peace over ideology and the phoney security it brings should renounce politics and religion.

ReputationRep:
    Then surely you're simply creating an ideology of denouncing ideologies, and other ideologies will create conflict with you as a result?

"I do not believe any current ideology will create peace," says the anti-ideologist.
    "Then you are insulting my ideology, which is clearly the correct one, and I must crush you," responds the Imam/Businessman/Pope/Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Just an observation of how ideologies act on the world. I'm not recommending a pathway, and any renunciation of identification would be a personal never a public thing, and would need be fluid and relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone needs their own ideology. If they had nothing, they couldn't form any views. Whereas if they have a Marxist ideology, or Islamic ideology for example, other people are forming their views for them. This is important.

ReputationRep:
    Well, from the perspective of one who thrives on conflict, it would be very dull to live in a peaceful world. More bloodshed and violence, I say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Well, from the perspective of one who thrives on conflict, it would be very dull to live in a peaceful world. More bloodshed and violence, I say!
    Yeah, just as long as your not the one who bleeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Yeah, just as long as your not the one who bleeds.
    Well, I'm more of the temperament to be the one doing the blood-letting.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm more of the temperament to be the one doing the blood-letting.
    Yeah, I definately pick up the vibe sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Yeah, I definately pick up the vibe sometimes.
    Well, I didn't acquire the more-than-slightly audacious nickname "Vicious Victoria" because of my meritorious capacity for compromise.

Well, I didn't acquire the more-than-slightly audacious nickname "Vicious Victoria" because of my meritorious capacity for compromise.
    Have you been expelled from college yet for your pugilistic tendancies or is your 'blood-letting' more of a case of 'ear-bashing' of the vocal kind?

not sure whether its the male avatar, or the propensity for violence, but keep forgetting you are infact a 'lady'
    people here arent typical of their genders. some are downright gender confused....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Have you been expelled from college yet for your pugilistic tendancies or is your 'blood-letting' more of a case of 'ear-bashing' of the vocal kind?
    Both, though the pugilistic tendencies are only in sanctioned sparring events, so, you only have to fear me if you are another competing against me in a martial arts tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rome)
    not sure whether its the male avatar, or the propensity for violence, but keep forgetting you are infact a 'lady'
    people here arent typical of their genders. some are downright gender confused....
    To summarize:
    1. I like old films, and I'm not going to limit myself to only female characters from old films simply to make life easier for the casual bystander.
    2. I'm a martial artist, so it's not as if I'm "thugging it up" on the streets or something. I only dish out beatings to my fellow martial artists in the sparring ring.
    3. Kondar knows the above, and I was having a bit of fun.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.