Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard of a case where by a student given an EE offer has missed their offer and been rejected? I know it sounds unlikely, but anyone know whether this has ever occured?

ReputationRep:
    They would automatically be rejected, because they couldn't meet the matriculation requirements of the university. The Matriculation Board could decide to excuse them, but I suspect it's very unlikely that they would, unless it was due to something like illness & missing the exams.

ReputationRep:
    If you get an A at AS-Level you've already got an E at A-Level, and I doubt many people without at least 2 A's at AS are going to be getting an EE offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mop)
    If you get an A at AS-Level you've already got an E at A-Level, and I doubt many people without at least 2 A's at AS are going to be getting an EE offer.
    very fair point!

ReputationRep:
    I remember being told about a student who got an EE offer (I think from christs), then got DEE because he couldn't be bothered with school but when he arrived he goit an ass-kicking from the dean. Might not be true though

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    I remember being told about a student who got an EE offer (I think from christs), then got DEE because he couldn't be bothered with school but when he arrived he goit an ass-kicking from the dean. Might not be true though

MB
    it would make sense if it was from christs'. my ex's step dad got an EE from oxford and decided to take it literally, i think he ended up with Ds. his college weren't best pleased but he did quite well in his degree.

ReputationRep:
    why would it make sense if it was from christs? is this college well-known for it's low offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)

MB
    Well, we don't have a dean, so it might not be true

Christ's does give quite a lot (about one third) of its offers as "matriculation"/"easy" i.e. EE offers. To get one, you need to have a sparkling record and impress the interviewers (particularly the Senior Tutor) at interview.

I don't know of anyone currently at Christ's who got an EE offer then did ridiculously badly in their A-levels; I think they choose people they know aren't going to do that. My offer was AAAA, and at dinner with a relatively senior fellow since he happened to ask if I got a matric offer; I said no, and "it was probably just as well, because I wouldn't have bothered doing my A-levels" (which is true!) He answered "well, we probably worked that out about you at interview".

So, basically, they give them to people they know are going to do well regardless, maybe just to take the pressure off them a little bit at A-level so they do well, and don't spend the whole year panicking that they're not going to get the A's.

Once you actually get to Christ's, noone really cares after the first week who got a matric offer and who didn't; it is one of those oh-so-interesting freshers' week conversation topics - what's your name? where are you from? what are you studying? did you get a matric offer? - but it fades away pretty quickly.

In my year, people with matric offers tended to get slightly better accomodation, avoiding living in the hideous Lasdun building ("the typewriter") in New Court, but this wasn't a strict rule; I, for example, avoided it without a matric offer. I think they've done away with this distinction now though, and everyone gets pretty much a random room.

ReputationRep:
    What does an EE offer mean? sorry i'm not up on the acronym
    matriculation offer?

ReputationRep:
    It's not really an acronym, it means literally an offer conditional on you achieving at least two E's at A level. It is sometimes called a matriculation offer, since it means you need only comply with the university requirements for matriculation (passing two A levels).

ReputationRep:
    Someone at my school got a Matriculation offer, about 7 years ago...for History. She was like the Welsh best at GCSE though...

ReputationRep:
    I know someone at Cambridge doing Classics who got an EE offer last year, on the condition that he did 2 AEAs (for which he wouldn't need a particular result, just to sit them). Random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProzacNation)
    I know someone at Cambridge doing Classics who got an EE offer last year, on the condition that he did 2 AEAs (for which he wouldn't need a particular result, just to sit them). Random.
    How odd. That's nifty though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProzacNation)
    That's quite strange. You can just enter for AEA's and do nothing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    anyone heard of a case where by a student given an EE offer has missed their offer and been rejected? I know it sounds unlikely, but anyone know whether this has ever occured?
    you can't.. its not possible unless you breach exam rules..

and A-level E is equivalent to AS-level A.. and without good AS grades you won't get given EE offer in the first place.. only possibility is you get disqualified for cheating

ReputationRep:
    only if you need to cheat to get zero marks at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    only if you need to cheat to get zero marks at A2.
    I think they meant generally, rather than to deliberately miss the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    I think they meant generally, rather than to deliberately miss the offer.
    :p: It's pretty difficult. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    :p: It's pretty difficult. :p:
    Cheating?

I wouldn't imagine so. Taking a phone into an exam and getting caught constitutes cheating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    Cheating?

I wouldn't imagine so. Taking a phone into an exam and getting caught constitutes cheating.
    that is just inviting it though.... the invigilators are asked to remind you (final warning) before exam paper is given out.. in case anyone forgot

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.