Criminal sentences - USA vs UK

Watch this thread
Poll: Which country has it right regarding criminal sentencing?
UK (7)
46.67%
USA (8)
53.33%
tomfranks7
Badges: 7
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Who does it best, the UK or the USA?

Just saw this story about a copper in the US facing 35 years in jail for having sex with a woman he pulled over, then throwing away her ticket.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...y-tickets.html

Compare that to this story (UK); Man guilty of inciting an under-aged girl to engage in sexual activity escapes with a police caution for his offence; AKA NO JAIL TIME

http://www.theratbook.com/Articles/A...enders_caution

I mean is there any wonder the UK is getting as messed up as it is?
Mr Phil
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomfranks7)

Just saw this story about a copper in the US facing 35 years in jail for having sex with a woman he pulled over, then throwing away her ticket.

Compare that to this story (UK); Man guilty of inciting an under-aged girl to engage in sexual activity escapes with a police caution for his offence; AKA NO JAIL TIME

Well it IS the Faily Fail, so i'll ignore that.

I jsut like it when people get stupid sentances like 874 years. I mean how the hell do they come up with them????

And why not 850 years? or 800? I mean they wont last that long. Crazy.
tomfranks7
(Original post by Mr Phil)

And why not 850 years? or 800? I mean they wont last that long. Crazy.
If the sentence is over the typical lifetime, doesnt it carry on to their children, and their childrens children etc? :eek:
Mr Phil
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
If the sentence is over the typical lifetime, doesnt it carry on to their children, and their childrens children etc? :eek:
No. Don't be silly.
rezarf
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
You idiot haha
rezarf
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I do hate the way the UK justice system says they're getting life when it's only 18years or something
Life should mean LIFE end of.
justjoshing
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Life should mean life!
lordbonney
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Well we cant really judge a whole criminal system based on those two cases can we?! Pretty stupid question, as both countries have cases where it would seem that the sentence is far too soft. Both have their flaws.
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I can't figure out the girls age in the 2nd story? The guy was only 20, so if she was 15 it really is a cautionable offence. Pretty sick, but both parties are quite close in age.
tomfranks7
(Original post by lordbonney)
Well we cant really judge a whole criminal system based on those two cases can we?! Pretty stupid question, as both countries have cases where it would seem that the sentence is far too soft. Both have their flaws.
I agree its unfair to base this on just 2 stories...especially as I specifically searched for 2 stories that most substantiate my argument...but this appears to be a running theme throughout reported cases..in general, sentencing is much tougher in the USA than it is over here.

Shouldnt we be harder on criminals?
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
The US has a few good idea's as to how to deal with prisoners.

For example that prison camp in the desert where the prisoners basically live in tents.
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Neither, really.

The US is far too punishment- rather than rehabilitation-based, but the UK hasn't really worked out this rehabilitation thing yet - although it does seem to be trying, which is more than can be said for the US.
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
The US has a few good idea's as to how to deal with prisoners.

For example that prison camp in the desert where the prisoners basically live in tents.
Maricopa County Jail? The Sheriff Joe Arpaio also makes prisoners wear only the colour pink if I remember the documentary correctly so as to embarrass them when they're out doing community service.

Edit: Found a picture of the uniform, albeit they're also wearing black n white striped trousers too...
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I jsut like it when people get stupid sentances like 874 years. I mean how the hell do they come up with them????
In the US time is served consecutively, in the UK, concurrently.

I mean they wont last that long. Crazy.
That's the point, it's a life sentence.

(Original post by fire2burn)
Maricopa County Jail? The Sheriff Joe Arpaio also makes prisoners wear only the colour pink if I remember the documentary correctly so as to embarrass them when they're out doing community service.
I heard that it was also because they had a significant problem with people stealing the original white/blue clothing - strangely when it was dyed pink nobody wanted to know.
lordbonney
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I agree its unfair to base this on just 2 stories...especially as I specifically searched for 2 stories that most substantiate my argument...but this appears to be a running theme throughout reported cases..in general, sentencing is much tougher in the USA than it is over here.

Shouldnt we be harder on criminals?
It does seem to be, but does that make it any better? Is there any evidence saying that harsh punishment is better for society than lighter punishments coupled with rehabilitation?
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
Yes I think that is the one I am thinking of.

Anyway pink prisoner uniforms iS the way to go! :yep:
angelrose
Report 12 years ago

We could learn a thing or two from the US. LIFE should mean LIFE:
lordbonney
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by angelrose)
We could learn a thing or two from the US. LIFE should mean LIFE:
Even if the prisoner manages to completely reform themselves and would go on to become an excellent member of society and contribute, you'd rather still pay to keep them locked up?

Im not saying it shouldnt mean life if they dont, but surely if they reform and would be good society they should be released?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads