Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do papercuts hurt so much?? I'm trying to figure out, cos another type of cut that deep doesn't hurt as much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing because your nerves are near to the surface of your skin?
    Cos if you cut deeply then it actually stops hurting after you sever the nurve :eek:

ReputationRep:
    t's not just paper cuts. Any shallow cut-whether made by paper or a sharp plastic edge-hurts more than a deep cut because the shallow one remains open. The body quickly seals, with a blood clot, a deeper cut that bleeds. Indeed, any wound not sealed off, like an ulcer or a burn, hurts and, as soon as the doctor covers the open wound with a gel dressing, the pain lessens. Try it the next time you get a paper cut. Cover your cut with a gel dressing made for ulcers and feel the tenderness lessen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    t's not just paper cuts. Any shallow cut-whether made by paper or a sharp plastic edge-hurts more than a deep cut because the shallow one remains open. The body quickly seals, with a blood clot, a deeper cut that bleeds. Indeed, any wound not sealed off, like an ulcer or a burn, hurts and, as soon as the doctor covers the open wound with a gel dressing, the pain lessens. Try it the next time you get a paper cut. Cover your cut with a gel dressing made for ulcers and feel the tenderness lessen.
    Wow. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to be a doctor/nurse? :p:

ReputationRep:
    coz there cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Why do papercuts hurt so much?? I'm trying to figure out, cos another type of cut that deep doesn't hurt as much.
    It's always the smaller ones that hurt a lot :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    Ahhhh like bonjella?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm wow. I've never actually realised why paper curts hurt so much!

ReputationRep:
    i got a paper cut on my lip today, trying to seal loads of envelopes. ow ow ow ow ow.

ReputationRep:
    Got a paper cut on my tongue before (sealing envelopes) and owwwwwwwwwwww, did that hurt.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.