The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ok firstly wait until you get your results
If you've got say BBD in each of your three modules then you could retake module C in January - and just keep studying your A2s
In that situation you would be applying with not so great AS grades and yes it probably will effect which unis accept you. It is possible to just not put your AS grades down (as some schools don't take the AS exams) but technically it's against the UCAS rules

If you've REALLY bombed then retaking all three AS units just wouldn't happen. You may need to retake year 12, in which case you will apply with your new results next year and the unis will never know what happened, apart from you will have to explain why you are a year older
Reply 2
Why won't taking all units happen? I've got plenty of time to revise for it, or do you mean the school won't let me?

Thanks.
Reply 3
extra
I've just completed my AS's and realised I haven't put enough work in :frown: . Say I resit them in my A2 year how would applying to uni's work as I won't have the results for my resits when everyone is applying, also would it be frowned upon to have done my AS's twice? And say I failed one would I be able to start the A2 course and sit both the AS and A2 in the same year?

Thanks for any help.

I resat 2 AS modules in January during year 13. I still got offers from university. I would resit the AS modules in January. Most people use put their AS grade in their application form. If they think or have a bad AS grade, they can decline it and resit the AS modules in January, which signifies that they don't have to put it on the form. Remember, your predicted A2 grade, reference, and personal statement will be taken into consideration when applying to university.

I failed two modules at AS and I was continuing the course onto A2, while sitting the modules in the January exam.
Reply 4
Well you'd be taking all 3 exams, which would mean revising the entire course with no lessons or extra help from teachers. Going back over and relearning one unit of work on your own is possible - but you'd still be surprised how few people increase their grade. Obviously if you did badly because you weren't working it's a different thing to if you just weren't that good at the subject. But you'd basically be attempting to do the whole of 6th form in 1 year, and even if you succeeded in redoing all the AS work your A2 grades would probably suffer because of it
Reply 5
Bekaboo
Well you'd be taking all 3 exams, which would mean revising the entire course with no lessons or extra help from teachers. Going back over and relearning one unit of work on your own is possible - but you'd still be surprised how few people increase their grade. Obviously if you did badly because you weren't working it's a different thing to if you just weren't that good at the subject. But you'd basically be attempting to do the whole of 6th form in 1 year, and even if you succeeded in redoing all the AS work your A2 grades would probably suffer because of it

I did five resits in Jan this year and took AS points from BCDE to BBBB. If you know you haven't worked hard enough in year 12 and get poor AS results, do as many resits as you can manage-but make sure you put a lot of work in! Probably doing the entire subject again is difficult, but 2 units is prefectly possible.
Reply 6
you can resit your modules as many times you like, so really you will have the opportunity to resit them in January or in June. You will still be able to apply to uni as you will have your predicted grades and the unis wont know that you have resat any exams as some schools do not certificate the AS results anyway
Reply 7
My predicted grades aren't great as I've nevr really worked up until now, but I know if I put work in I can do far better, I think I'll en dup having to take a year out and applying when I have all my results :frown:
Reply 8
At my school they don't cash our AS level grades in so I only have to put down 3A2's pending grades on my UCAS form, and the AS level i'm dropping pending for result in August 2006, even though I get the result this august as we don't certificate until then. That way if you do bad, unis don't find out, and if you do really well, your teachers can mention it in your reference. A much better system.
Reply 9
extra
My predicted grades aren't great as I've nevr really worked up until now, but I know if I put work in I can do far better, I think I'll en dup having to take a year out and applying when I have all my results :frown:

just nag your teachers for about 2 months leading up 2 sending your ucas form off....might work! :rolleyes:
Reply 10
heh...I'll have to ry that one :biggrin:
Reply 11
you don't have to declare your AS results. my school wouldn't actually let us declare our AS results (if we wanted them included, it had to be in the personal statement or reference) so it probably won't make a blind bit of difference to the universities, who won't know whether or not you're resitting. the only problem, as i think someone has already pointed out, is revision - whether or not you will have the time to work for a resit. that depends entirely on your subjects and the type of grades you get. if you do history, for example, and all three of your modules are a bit dodgy, but not terrible, then you'd have to redo all three, which means relearning a lot of material for an AS resit whilst studying an entirely different period of history for A2. for something like a language, however, no extra revision is required so doing a resit is fine. to be honest, though, i wouldn't stress about it. if your results are bad then you can resit and the universities will be none the wiser.
Reply 12
Thanks for all the answers :biggrin: I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics well and General studies but I think I've done well enough not to resit it lol. I've planned out revision fo rover summer and I have enough time to go over all modules of Bio, chem and physics with a 2 week sor so before I go back to school :biggrin:
Reply 13
Say I wante dto apply for a really competitive course like medicine would I have a chance at all without my AS results?
You can decline your AS grades, enter all your A-levels on the UCAS form as 'pending' and then resit in January. A lot of schools don't cash in AS results, so the universities you applied to wouldn't be allowed to discriminate against you because they wouldn't know you were resitting, unless someone else from your school applied to the same university for the same course with their AS grades listed, but I doubt they'd notice things like that with all the applications they have to deal with. However, it would mean they'd pay a lot of attention to your predicted grades, reference and GCSE grades, so now is the time to suck up to your teachers like hell and convince them you're going to work hard. You'll need to if you're planning to do loads of resits on top of A2s.

Latest