Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts go to any of the members here affected by this.

This is relatively major - it has bought our capital to a stand-still. By targetting our transport system there's now a bubble of people in London with nowhere to go, and there was a fair amount of chaos. It would've been a perfect set-up to strike on a major building whlie our transport system was crippled.

There were lots of survivors from the bus, especially from the first floor. The death toll is only around 20 (last time I heard) though the number of casualties go into three figures.

I just hope that this doesn't backlash onto the muslim community in London, and that Londoners can see through to what this really is - a cowardly attack on the people of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    It is major! How the f**k would YOU feel if it was your bloody family killed?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I cannot describe how I would feel. This is not a major attack. If they wanted mass destruction they would've used a uranium atomic bomb, not small propane bombs. This is a message you fool. September 11th was Major, this is minor, but none-the-less it is significant as it is the first attack London has witnessed in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    "Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters." :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra010588)
    Guys read this, its disgusting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm
    That is just pure evil and so wrong and what's more they don't see that-they think that what they are doing is justifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    People are making out like it is major. It's not. It's the first real incident which has happened to London in recent years, yes; but no way is it classed as 'major'. It seems like the bombers used small bombs, with the intention of not mass destruction, but to evoke fear and send a warning.
    This is a really distasteful thing to say....not major? So many people injured and people dead?! Wake up and realise that some people might take offence to your in-sensitive comments.

ReputationRep:
    Most people would be destraut if their family were directly affected by the bombings, but you can't use that emotion to decide whether it is a major incident. Think of it from a national perspective, and relate it to other attacks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why muslims would bomb the edgeware road. the whole area is full of arabs. we shouldn't be so quick to point the finger

ReputationRep:
    45 people dead
    Is that confirmed?

Guys read this, its disgusting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm
    Same kind of thing with 9/11 though wasn't it. "They have been blessed...miraculous...heavenly prophets.." etc.

ReputationRep:
    this is not a big attack, the ira have done far worse over the years. In fact i am suprised how lightly we have gotten off <if this is it> compared with Madrid, Bali and 9-11. That is something we should be grateful of, its bad, but it could have been far far worse. Look at aum shinryoko in japan for an example of how bad an attack on a underground system can be.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a fairly definite threat:

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saree)
    This is a really distasteful thing to say....not major? So many people injured and people dead?! Wake up and realise that some people might take offence to your in-sensitive comments.

You are SO on my wavelength...... :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how long it will be before the Tube is opened again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saree)
    Death toll is so far 2 dead. Listen to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    45 people dead.

Source?

The police have confirmed 'more than 33' (BBC News)So that's the official number, for now.

Please, unless the report is confirmed, make sure you let it be known that it's an unconfirmed report, and indentify the source! This is something very real to a lot of people, especially as a number of people haven't heard from their loved ones in town.
    Don't create unnecessary panic by claiming unconfirmed reports as fact.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot describe how I would feel. This is not a major attack. If they wanted mass destruction they would've used a uranium atomic bomb, not small propane bombs. This is a message you fool. September 11th was Major, this is minor, but none-the-less it is significant as it is the first attack London has witnessed in recent times.
    40 dead, and you call it minor?

(Original post by AT82)

In terms of physical damage its not all major, just some inconvience and some wrecked trains, the real loss here is peoples lives.
    Well said AT.

And its about perception as to whether or not you think its major. Yes its true the number of deaths is small, but the effect of those, and the injured people will touch people around the world.

Personally if anyone is hurt or killed in my opinion its major

The sheer size of this is major, to transport systems, to the economy etc

ReputationRep:
    Shamen's just being objecctive and I see his point - though personally I'd recommend some sensitivity in this case, as this is probably close to home to a lot of members here - I know I'm still waiting to hear from some friends who went into London today. I'm glad I decided not to go today - I would've been there at the time of the explosions.

ReputationRep:
    Most people would be destraut if their family were directly affected by the bombings, but you can't use that emotion to decide whether it is a major incident. Think of it from a national perspective, and relate it to other attacks.
    Having been in London at the time of the attacks, I can say that the chaos and the reaction and the fear was pretty major. Ok, long-term it's not major, but I think you are making it sound a lot less serious that it was, that is in my opinion, as someone who was in the city.

ReputationRep:
    Death toll is so far 2 dead. Listen to yourself.
    Police have confirmed 'more than 33 dead' (BBC News).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.