The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Shamen
Death toll is so far 2 dead. Listen to yourself.

It is more than two.
Reply 1121
halloweenjack
this is not a big attack, the ira have done far worse over the years. In fact i am suprised how lightly we have gotten off <if this is it> compared with Madrid, Bali and 9-11. That is something we should be grateful of, its bad, but it could have been far far worse. Look at aum shinryoko in japan for an example of how bad an attack on a underground system can be.

Sure this isn't the worst attack but the magnitude should not be measured in deathtoll alone. Because there have been several bombings, the transport system is going to be pretty badly affected, which is not good for the City.
Reply 1122
this is teh fastest growing thread i've ever seen!
back to topic...i heard 40ish were dead...8 at edgware road adn 2 at aldgate east
Shamen

Shamen

For a start the "official" death toll is no recognised as "more than 30"

Secondly I've warned people not to post scaremongering posts, so far I've had to delete 3 of yours.

You posts that haven't been scaremongering have been inappropriate and insensitive.

If you do not stop making posts of this nature in this thread then you will be banned.
bouncy
Well said AT.

And its about perception as to whether or not you think its major. Yes its true the number of deaths is small, but the effect of those, and the injured people will touch people around the world.

Personally if anyone is hurt or killed in my opinion its major

The sheer size of this is major, to transport systems, to the economy etc

I agree.
Reply 1125
I live in London. My mum works near to where one of the bombings happened, my step-father drives busses for London United... I am more directly affected than most of you here. I am not being insensitive, I am being realistic. This is a message from terrorists. How the hell do we expect to have a successful Olympic games? How the hell can the police cope with that? You have to be analytical and realise that this is minor in comparison to other attacks.
Reply 1126
Shamen

I am. And what?! It's just been comfirmed 33 dead.
Reply 1127
Most people would be destraut if their family were directly affected by the bombings, but you can't use that emotion to decide whether it is a major incident. Think of it from a national perspective, and relate it to other attacks.

I understand what Shamen is saying, in all honesty. It could have been bigger, certainly. Obviously, to those hundreds injured, and 50 odd dead, this is hugely traumatic, and I sympathise greatly to those themselves, and their families. This is horrific. But around 5,000 people died in the September 11th attacks, and thousands more injured, it is definitely on a bigger scale than this, here in London. Anybody can see that. Although it does not dent the significance and horror of the attack here today.
dogtanian
Police have confirmed 'more than 33 dead' (BBC News).

Yes, and i'm farely sure this is a low figure. Remember, it's the walking wonded who get out first, the dead have to be found. Furthermore in one carriage on teh tube this morning there could have easily been 50+ people, and a bomb could easily kill a whole carriage, as has been described by some witnesses.
Reply 1129
chats
40 dead, and you call it minor?

Compared to the thousands in the WTC and also in comparison to how bad it could of been. I certainly think they weren't aiming for high numbers of fatalities.
laura789
I don't understand why muslims would bomb the edgeware road. the whole area is full of arabs. we shouldn't be so quick to point the finger

Because terrorists are extremists, and they don't see normal muslims as good people, but as just as "evil" as a non-muslim.
It's important to not let the incident effect us as much as possible. The terrorists want to provoke fear and hysteria and confusion, but I think in the way the emergancy services have reacted and with the summit continuing we have reacted well and I don't think the terrorists have achieved their aim to the extent they wanted to.

It annoys me that, like Blair said, we are trying to make life better and end suffering and make our world a better place with the G8 summit, and all these people want to do is cause death and destruction, wreaking revenge all of the place.

And the irony in saying 'all Islamics should rejoice (sp?), we've wreaked vengance'! How do the terrorists know there weren't any Islamics on the trains and buses, and what does the Islamic religon say about revenge? Christians say its wrong I know that.

Its probably a very in depth issue to what goes through these peoples minds but I think the best way to tackle it is to stay calm and deal with the situation in the most effective way that causes least impact on us. And this I think we did and I am proud of our services.
If 'they' were trying to kill large numbers of people, we would have heard of many more fatalities. If this is linked to 9/11 or the Madrid bombings, then we know that 'they' have the ability to cause huge numbers of deaths.
Shamen
You have to be analytical and realise that this is minor in comparison to other attacks.

Yes it is minor compared to other attacks, but people are DEAD. That is majour. Don't you understand that to people who's family have been killed, it is a majourly big deal..
Reply 1134
but is it minor because it is a warning, or rather is it a credit to our national security that anything larger was always prevented, and that the best they can manage is this relatively small attack.
And if it's a warning, a warning for what!? This attack was not related to the olympics, you couldn't pull it off within 24 hours, it's to do with G8!

We all knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when....and now that it's come, I am at least thankful that it was not as terrible as previous attacks - for whatever reason that may be i think we should be at least a little bit relieved.
Reply 1135
Another thing IF this is link to an muslim terrorist group I feel sorry for those British muslims living in this country who are 100% innocent if people are going to treat them differently.

These people are extremely sick and no not represent the views of the faith responsible.

Also according to the BBC news 33 people have been confirmed dead, but the toll is likely to be higher.
Most of the questions have been answered with "we do not have any information" (slightly worrying)
HearTheThunder
Most of the questions have been answered with "we do not have any information" (slightly worrying)

No information is better then wrong information.
Reply 1138
AT82
Also according to the BBC news 33 people have been confirmed dead, but the toll is likely to be higher.

33 confirmed dead so far, doesnt include the unknown number of casualties on one of the buses - so probably higher in the end yeah.
Reply 1139
HearTheThunder

They wont know yet something things without further investigation. I mean working out what the explosives were and how much will take time

Latest

Trending

Trending