Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    We all knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when....and now that it's come, I am at least thankful that it was not as terrible as previous attacks - for whatever reason that may be i think we should be at least a little bit relieved.

I agree with that, it was obvious London was going to get it, and lets face it, it could have been worse. But that doesn't mean that whats happened isn't terrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    No information is better then wrong information.
    But with all the preparations you would think they'd be able to know what's going on. They're supposed to get the emergency hotline out within an hour it took them about 4 or 5

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Another thing IF this is link to an muslim terrorist group I feel sorry for those British muslims living in this country who are 100% innocent if people are going to treat them differently.

These people are extremely sick and no not represent the views of the faith responsible.

Also according to the BBC news 33 people have been confirmed dead, but the toll is likely to be higher.
    I felt a huge loss when they mentioned fatalities, because that's someones life and I don't believe anyone has the right to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I live in London. My mum works near to where one of the bombings happened, my step-father drives busses for London United... I am more directly affected than most of you here. I am not being insensitive, I am being realistic. This is a message from terrorists. How the hell do we expect to have a successful Olympic games? How the hell can the police cope with that? You have to be analytical and realise that this is minor in comparison to other attacks.
    Shamen just shutup and respect the fact that people find your comments in-appropriate and insensitive adn teh current time

ReputationRep:
    Shamen, your points are valid, but we have a good 7 years to recover from this and get policing up to scratch - not to mention security will be in overdrive for the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Yes it is minor compared to other attacks, but people are DEAD. That is majour. Don't you understand that to people who's family have been killed, it is a majourly big deal..
    Of course it's a big thing - I don't think anyone's trying to diminish the grief of the families affected. However, it clearly was not designed as a major attack, as if it was many more people would've died. There are far more destructive weapons availiable, from poison gas (remember the damage that did in Toyko) to biological weapons - the fact that these weren't used suggests that it's a warning rather than a major attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I am not trying to say that it's not major to people who are directly affected! Of course it's not. But as a nation, we are lucky that we did not get hit by an attack more like that of September 11th. I am in no way implying that people are fools for being upset about family losses. Not at all. But think about the Olympic Games. How will London satisfy the games with efficient policing?
    The olymic games is very different in that that they are dealing with a one month period, where they know very well an attack might happen. This attack could have happened any time over the last 3 years, it's a much larger timescale. Security will be much higher for the olympics than it will be for a normal rush hour thursday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody1)
    Shamen just shutup and respect the fact that people find your comments in-appropriate and insensitive adn teh current time
    hey will u relax? Jeez. I thought these forums were for debating

(Original post by HearTheThunder)
    But with all the preparations you would think they'd be able to know what's going on. They're supposed to get the emergency hotline out within an hour it took them about 4 or 5
    That could be because they have to make sure they have effective communications, correct information to tell people like where people were taken , also getting together people to answer the phones.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    For speculating and scaremongering after being asked/warned twice not to Shamen has been banned for 21 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB)
    Of course it's a big thing - I don't think anyone's trying to diminish the grief of the families affected. However, it clearly was not designed as a major attack, as if it was many more people would've died. There are far more destructive weapons availiable, from poison gas (remember the damage that did in Toyko) to biological weapons - the fact that these weren't used suggests that it's a warning rather than a major attack.

Yeah i know, thats true.... Its just so terrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB)
    Or it jsut suggests that it was from a small-scale terrorist organisation. The impression is that it may just be a small terrorist group with weak links to the larger networks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    For speculating and scaremongering after being asked/warned twice not to Shamen has been banned for 21 days.

Steady on :eek: he had some valid points there which i was beginning to understand....

ReputationRep:
    Please, unless the report is confirmed, make sure you let it be known that it's an unconfirmed report, and indentify the source! This is something very real to a lot of people, especially as a number of people haven't heard from their loved ones in town.
    Don't create unnecessary panic by claiming unconfirmed reports as fact.
    Please don't patronise me, the source is yahoo news.

40 dead, and you call it minor?
    Compared to 3000+ dead in N. Ireland, 3000 dead on 911 7000 dead in Afghanistan and 98 000 dead in Iraq, yes.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

He wasnt scaremongering ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Christ, isn't that a bit extreme? He had valid points and was expressing his opinion and views fairly. He had enough personal stake in the matter himself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bisha)
    Christ, isn't that a bit extreme? He had valid points and was expressing his opinion and views fairly. He had enough personal stake in the matter himself..

Yeah i agree - thats what i just said

ReputationRep:
    The terrorists obviosuly picked this time because they knew that alot of the focus would be on the G8 summit in gleneagles and perhaps security would be weaker in the capital but it is extremely difficult to stop attacks like these especially over such a time scale no doubt over the past years attacks like these have been foiled by the security services without us even knowing about.

I feel sorry for the people who are directly involved in this incident.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.