Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Its inevitable people are going to discuss these things.

People die in Iraq as a result of similar types of blasts on a daily basis, but I've never seen you or anyone else criticise anyone discussing things regarding the Iraqi problem because someone died that day.
    But this doesn't happen every day here

People are still ONLY just finding out

Like PQ said, the discussion will happen... just not here, not not... not YET

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Just heard unconfirmed reports the BBC headquarters was evacuated earlier, anyone know if that's the case?
    Define HQ (tv house or elsewhere?) - Bush House certainly wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Just heard unconfirmed reports the BBC headquarters was evacuated earlier, anyone know if that's the case?
    What the ****?? :|

(Original post by PinkPigeon)
    My sympathy goes out to those involved, their friends and family and the emergency services who were increadibly brave, I don't know if I'd be able to do it.
    I'd also like to add, did anyone find some of the coverage a little too graphic this morning, I understand they want viewers to be informed but is filiming casulties getting out of an ambulance really nessecary? I found this coverage irresponsible and unfair on the casulties.
    i didn't find it too graphic, it was to alert the public and to hit home what has happened.
    it was neccessary i think. what else were they suppose to show?
    I think the twin towers attack filming was very graphic when you saw bodies falling from the towers before they collapsed. still brings back bad memories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Yeah I was listening to BBC Radio 4 I think it was and the woman said 'we apologise that we cannot bring you the news due to an emergency at the BBC' and it went onto automatic music
    :eek:

Holy crap...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    i didn't find it too graphic, it was to alert the public and to hit home what has happened.
    I think the twin towers attack filming was very graphic when you saw bodies falling from the towers before they collapsed. still brings back bad memories.
    *shudders*

I had nightmares about that

(Original post by Abbas6)
    I don't think anyone really shut out the horros of 9/11 or the Madrid attacks. I think it was always in the back of our minds and with the terror alerts and arrests, I think we were always, as horrible as it may sound, expecting an attack. A lot of analysts have been saying with London it's always been a matter of when, and not if terrorists will strike.
    yes i agree. I kinda knew London was going to be attacked at some point, but it was only a matter of time. sounds horrible that i know, but i think everyone felt it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Yeh she called me "sick" when iv not said anything offensive towards the situation and was also deeply upset about it when i heard it this morning..a case of overreacting.
    how about you don't try and gang up on Vienna, it's totally disrespectful.
    my dad's making his way to paddington station, (anyone know whats happening there?) he doesn't know what he'll find, but somehow he's got to make it back to didcot parkway :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Define HQ (tv house or elsewhere?) - Bush House certainly wasn't.
    Not sure, it wasn't very speicfic, just that the BBC had been evacuated, although they weren't sure if it was just a precaution or if something was found.

ReputationRep:
    Did you see the man coming out of the ambulance being given CPR as he went...I just don't think the public needed to see that- everyone knows the injuries will be awful and I just think images such as that will not help people who are worrying about the location of their loved ones especially as this was at about 12 when very few had managed to get in contact with people yet.

ReputationRep:

But how long can someone cope for on a Victorian tube system with inadequate ventilation? My god in 30 mins on a stalled train on the Central Line temperatures had reached 110 degrees F a week back.
    Thank god the weather today was quite cool, If this had happened a few weeks back people would have suffocated =(

ReputationRep:
    I'm just devestated. We're still missing people - we had taken a certain amount of comfort in reports that people were still trapped on tubes underground. But how long can someone cope for on a Victorian tube system with inadequate ventilation? My god in 30 mins on a stalled train on the Central Line temperatures had reached 110 degrees F a week back.

I'm now at home watching TV and realising that most of the dead are those on trains trapped...

I just pray to God that people either died quickly or make it back to loved ones.

I'm also offended by the reports on TV that our emergency services were overstretched. From what I can see, they did - and are still doing an amazing job. AS sad and horrific this whole event is, at least there are people out their who really care.
    It's terrible, watching it on the news brought back eerie flashbacks to the WTC. What a contrast to yesterday, it's almost unbelievable

There aren't any estimates around for people trapped, are there? :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    how about you don't try and gang up on Vienna, it's totally disrespectful.
    my dad's making his way to paddington station, (anyone know whats happening there?) he doesn't know what he'll find, but somehow he's got to make it back to didcot parkway :eek:

Yes - I have friends at Paddington trying to get back to Didcot and Oxford - the stations open, but it would be helpful if trains were departing from there...

ReputationRep:
    If it was Radio4, that would br Broadcasting House, wouldn't it?

(Original post by PinkPigeon)
    Did you see the man coming out of the ambulance being given CPR as he went...I just don't think the public needed to see that- everyone knows the injuries will be awful and I just think images such as that will not help people who are worrying about the location of their loved ones especially as this was at about 12 when very few had managed to get in contact with people yet.
    oh right i see your point, but thats the media for you, i dont think they can help what they film in the background considering it was Live footage at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbas6)
    I don't think anyone really shut out the horros of 9/11 or the Madrid attacks. I think it was always in the back of our minds and with the terror alerts and arrests, I think we were always, as horrible as it may sound, expecting an attack. A lot of analysts have been saying with London it's always been a matter of when, and not if terrorists will strike.
    :dito:

It's certainly put me off going to London for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    There aren't any estimates around for people trapped, are there? :\

I think the authorities said that they believe noone is trapped at that press conference earlier.

ReputationRep:
    oh right i see your point, but thats the media for you, i dont think they can help what they film in the background considering it was Live footage at the time.
    Worst thing is it wasn't in the background, it was a cameraman zoomed in on it while the reporter had just said 'and now we are going live to see people being taken into hospital.' :eek: :mad: :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I think the authorities said that they believe noone is trapped at that press conference earlier.
    A while ago they were saying that they didn't think there were any more injured at the King's Cross site, just dead people they hadn't managed to get out yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Oh that's good to hear

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.